NY Voice Teachers

AndiV Profile Photo
AndiV
#0NY Voice Teachers
Posted: 4/1/05 at 12:54pm

Hi! I am somewhat new to NYC, and I am ready to find a voice teacher here. Hopefully the following "guidelines" will help in determining what I am looking for.

1. I've never studied voice before.
2. I'm not a legit singer (at least not at this point).
3. I'd love to expand my range, develop more confidence, learn more about breath support and make sure I'm not hurting myself. (is that a tall enough order?? ha ha!)
3. I'm willing to spend money on this, of course, but at this point, but I'm not looking for "Braodway's Best" teacher, either.

Specifically, I'd love any personal reccomendations of people you may have worked with, but good reputations would be helpful too. Just a starting point for me to research people.

Thank you so much for helping me!!!

So long status quo/ I think I just let go/ You make me want to be/ BRAVE

yodamarie78 Profile Photo
yodamarie78
#1re: NY Voice Teachers
Posted: 4/1/05 at 1:02pm

They teach private and group voice lessons at the 92nd St Y. I don't know much about how good they are as I do not have the money to do that right now. It's like $700 for 14 private lessons. Look at http://www.92y.org

AndiV Profile Photo
AndiV
#2re: NY Voice Teachers
Posted: 4/1/05 at 1:05pm

Thanks! I'll look into that...

Any other thoughts?

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#3re: NY Voice Teachers
Posted: 4/1/05 at 1:06pm

http://www.lizcaplan.com - if not with her directly, you can study with her associates...

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

AndiV Profile Photo
AndiV
#4re: NY Voice Teachers
Posted: 4/1/05 at 8:20pm

BUMP!

thanks to Craig and Yoda!

i know there is a wealth of knowledge on this board!

help !)

Adoannie925 Profile Photo
Adoannie925
#5re: NY Voice Teachers
Posted: 4/1/05 at 9:24pm

Check out NYU's vocal faculty (Steinhardt if you want classical training).

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#6re: NY Voice Teachers
Posted: 4/1/05 at 9:28pm

Melissa Hart is fantastic. She's mostly Broadway, as she's been on Broadway herself (Tony nominee) and many of her students are working actors. I believe she charges $70 or $80 an hour, but I don't really remember. She's great!

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Yorkie1276
#7re: NY Voice Teachers
Posted: 4/1/05 at 10:41pm

I've heard that Victoria Clark, who is currently in The Light in the Piazza, is very good.

Angel Dumott Schunard
#8re: NY Voice Teachers
Posted: 4/1/05 at 10:46pm

http://www.mckenziemusicstudio.com/
Reegan McKenzie. I go to her for voice lessons, I love this woman so much. She knows everything there is to know about theatre, singing, the vocal chords, etc. She is located in NJ (very close to NYC) and charges $30/1 half hour. GO!

edit: Oh and she is a great opera singer, and directs several operas a year. Her brother is Mark Delavan (He performs in several operas a year at the Met. Last January, he was in Sweeney Todd with Elaine Paige.).
Updated On: 4/1/05 at 10:46 PM

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#9re: NY Voice Teachers
Posted: 4/1/05 at 11:11pm

I *WISH* we could post here who NOT to go to but, bww.com might get sued... i just wish certain teachers would gain ZERO clients. PM me for a severe warning on one of my old ex teachers who should be arrested. I SECOND NYU's staff!!! My current teacher all I can say is, he is a vocal god. He isn't currently taking on any new students right now but, he is voice teacher to half the bway phantom cast,les miz students and rent. ALLLL I can say is, I was *told* never to go to someone listed in backstage because most of them aren't all cracked up.

Adoannie925 Profile Photo
Adoannie925
#10re: NY Voice Teachers
Posted: 4/4/05 at 12:20am

One teacher from NYU that I LOOOOVEED studying with was Deborah Lifton. When I studied with her, she was 60 and hour, and her lessons are well worth the money. I have a friend who studies with Michael Ricciardone from NYU, too and she loves him as a teacher.

Beware though, just because someone has a degree doesn't mean they're a great voice teacher. I'm confident in saying that Debbie is a great teacher, though and NYU's vocal performance staff seems pretty great.

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#11re: NY Voice Teachers
Posted: 4/4/05 at 12:24am

David Sabella is my teacher and he's amazing. Highly recommend him!

Jazzysuite82
#12re: NY Voice Teachers
Posted: 4/4/05 at 12:36am

Ohhh I'm not sure I want to sing a Little Bit of Good in falsetto for every lesson...j/k

AndiV Profile Photo
AndiV
#13re: NY Voice Teachers
Posted: 4/4/05 at 9:29am

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

i, too, was told to beware of Backstage...and i have been trying to get names of teachers for about two months...now i have many to explore. thanks soooooo much!

Videos