News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

SF Chronicle RENT movie story

Chloe Profile Photo
Chloe
#0SF Chronicle RENT movie story
Posted: 4/4/05 at 12:02pm

This SF paper has a story about the filming that took place last week. They got a few details wrong - according to Anthony Rapp, it is not set in 1983, but an undefined late 80's period, and Club 6 was only the Cat Scratch Club on the outside. The inside was used as a fictional club Roger is playing during a flashback.

ETA: and just to compound the confusion, I managed to get the paper's name wrong, which I've corrected. Oh well, I guess it serves them right.

Chronicle story Updated On: 4/4/05 at 12:02 PM

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#1re: SF Examiner RENT movie story
Posted: 4/4/05 at 12:03pm

heh. And that's how rumors get started.

.... oooooh, but they have PICTURES!

A work of art is an invitation to love.

MagicToDo82 Profile Photo
MagicToDo82
#2re: SF Examiner RENT movie story
Posted: 4/4/05 at 12:32pm

Yeah, did anyone notice that in that one picture that obviously features Dawson and Pascal, the heading is "a couple stands out among..." Good reporting, to not recognize the stars of the movie you're reporting on....

There's always room for pathos - and jazz hands.

luvtheEmcee
#3re: SF Examiner RENT movie story
Posted: 4/4/05 at 12:33pm

baaaaaaad newspaper.
amaaaaaaazing picture.

Updated On: 4/4/05 at 12:33 PM

MagicToDo82
#4re: SF Examiner RENT movie story
Posted: 4/4/05 at 12:36pm

Oh yeah, LOVED the pic.

ckeaton Profile Photo
ckeaton
#5re: SF Examiner RENT movie story
Posted: 4/4/05 at 12:36pm

I was waiting until someone commented on "the couple". In addition as a proxy NY-er, I was offended by how often the article and photo captions mentioned the trash that had to be hauled "in" to make SF look like NY.

Hamlet's father.

MagicToDo82
#6re: SF Examiner RENT movie story
Posted: 4/4/05 at 12:41pm

Still kinda bothered by the whole 1983 thing....

luvtheEmcee
#7re: SF Examiner RENT movie story
Posted: 4/4/05 at 12:47pm

ck, it's not really meant to mean you need trash for it to look like New York now. I think they're just trying to (while obviously failing) make a point about how bad RENT's setting was at the time.

Even when the movie comes out, people will probably still be getting confused over when it takes place. Ultimately, I guess a specific year doesn't matter, because there are going to be slight discrepancies no matter what. *shakes head*

thespian geek Profile Photo
thespian geek
#8re: SF Examiner RENT movie story
Posted: 4/4/05 at 1:09pm

You mean saying it takes place "at the end of the Millenium" isn't enough for people? re: SF Examiner RENT movie story

luvtheEmcee
#9re: SF Examiner RENT movie story
Posted: 4/4/05 at 1:10pm

re: SF Examiner RENT movie story Um, wait. So you mean it's in '99?!
Oh my God, I've been so misguided.

Updated On: 4/4/05 at 01:10 PM

thespian geek
#10re: SF Examiner RENT movie story
Posted: 4/4/05 at 1:13pm

DUH. Geeze. re: SF Examiner RENT movie story Lmao.

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#11re: SF Examiner RENT movie story
Posted: 4/4/05 at 1:15pm

Anyone take a good look at the pants Rosario's wearing? I think you will be happy!

I want to write music. I want to sit down right now at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember and do the same thing every morning...for the rest of my life. - Jonathan Larson. Tick, Tick...BOOM!

FabalaCohen
#12re: SF Examiner RENT movie story
Posted: 4/4/05 at 1:16pm

Aaaaaand back on topic- Rosario and Adam look AWESOME! (Do I spy blue pants? Why, yes! I think those are! re: SF Examiner RENT movie story )

"During this performance, please feel free to let your cell phones and pagers ring willy-nilly. However, do remember that there are heavily-armed knights on stage and you might well be dragged up and impaled." (Pre-curtain announcement at the new Broadway musical Monty Python's Spamalot)

thespian geek
#13re: SF Examiner RENT movie story
Posted: 4/4/05 at 1:21pm

From what I see, her ass looks nice in 'em, too. :-x

RentBoy86
#14re: SF Examiner RENT movie story
Posted: 4/4/05 at 1:26pm

I thought it was suppose to take place basically when it opened, like 1996, mid-90s sort of thing. Because they refer to the "millieum" often in the musical. I don't think it was set in the early 80s at all. Oh well.

thespian geek
#15re: SF Examiner RENT movie story
Posted: 4/4/05 at 1:30pm

The 80s thing was supposed to be just a visual time frame, so it would actually look completely different from how that area of NYC looks now.

RentBoy86
#16re: SF Examiner RENT movie story
Posted: 4/4/05 at 1:32pm

Aw, makes sense i guess. But didn't the article mention that ppl were wearing tshirts that said 1983 on them during the Times Square scene?

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#17re: SF Examiner RENT movie story
Posted: 4/4/05 at 1:36pm

Plus you have to remember that Larson worked for awhile on Rent before it opend in 1996. So technically the stage version it should be set 91-92 (the latest).

I didn't know the bumped it back to 1983 (last I heard they were going for late 80's). But I do understand the reasons for trying to visually seperate it from the present.

I want to write music. I want to sit down right now at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember and do the same thing every morning...for the rest of my life. - Jonathan Larson. Tick, Tick...BOOM!
Updated On: 4/4/05 at 01:36 PM

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#18re: SF Examiner RENT movie story
Posted: 4/4/05 at 1:37pm

I think the article refers to Columbus wearing a tee-shirt with "1983" on it, not the extras in the Times Square scene.

Most of the stuff I've read has said the film takes place in the late 1980s, which is when Jonathan Larson began writing RENT.

Truly, as great as RENT is, it was pretty dated even when it first opened in 1995 -- the world of the East Village that Larson describes -- tent cities, etc. was all pretty much cleaned up by 1990.

That and Larson's score sounds very 80s to me. I think it was a very wise choice to make the film a period piece.

Updated On: 4/4/05 at 01:37 PM

Chloe Profile Photo
Chloe
#19re: SF Examiner RENT movie story
Posted: 4/4/05 at 2:20pm

*puts gun to head*

I tried to clarify that the article was WRONG in saying the movie was set in the EARLY 80's, rather than the LATE 80's, which is what Anthony has specified. Maybe this is going to be one of those hopeless misunderstanding that grows and grows.

Anyway, I agree completely with Michael Bennett on the reasoning behind the late 80's setting.

gretchenrose Profile Photo
gretchenrose
#20re: SF Examiner RENT movie story
Posted: 4/4/05 at 4:37pm

I have to agree...crappy article.
But if you feel the urge...my friends and I visited the set, took a TON of pics and posted some on photobucket...check them out!! http://photobucket.com/albums/y79/gretchenrose
~ali

http://www.one.org

luvtheEmcee
#21re: SF Examiner RENT movie story
Posted: 4/4/05 at 4:38pm

I'll just say again how much I love your pictures. re: SF Examiner RENT movie story

MagicToDo82
#22re: SF Examiner RENT movie story
Posted: 4/4/05 at 4:51pm

gretchenrose, your pics rock! Wilson looks amazing.

got-a-light Profile Photo
got-a-light
#23re: SF Examiner RENT movie story
Posted: 4/4/05 at 5:41pm

no plaid pants for roger? : (

luvtheEmcee
#24re: SF Examiner RENT movie story
Posted: 4/4/05 at 5:43pm

No. They decided to go with a more subdued, "downtown rocker" look. I was sad, but I'm totally over it because he look so f*cking phenomenal anyway.

Videos