Hairspray Movie

Fan2
#0Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 3:03pm

http://www.hollywoodnorthreport.com/article.php?Article=1181

>Actor John Travolta will head to Toronto this spring to star in the re-make of John Water's Hairspray, now set for a 2006 New Line release.

Justin Timberlake co-stars.

The screenplay is written by Leslie Dixon.

Producers are Craig Zadan, Neil Meron and Scott Wittman for Storyline Entertainment.

Premise of Hairspray, set in Baltimore, USA, during the 1960's dance TV craze, focuses on high school gal 'Tracy Turnblad' as she graduates from outsider to celebrity trendsetter.

Along the way she stars on "The Corny Collins Show," wins the heart of resident hunk 'Link Larkin' and kicks down the barriers for integration on local television.

Start date TBA.

WickedShopofQ Profile Photo
WickedShopofQ
#1re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 3:08pm

please tell me this is a joke. john travolta can in no way do that part. harvey won a tony for a reason!! jeez. justin timberlake i can see a little and i wouldnt be as upset, but john...HELL NO!

...Please understand that it's still strange and frightning...

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#2re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 3:09pm

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We want Harvey and Matt!! WTF?!!?

Bwaybaby109
#3re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 3:10pm

If this is true and definite, I'd be more upset that Justin Timberlake is in this than John. Justin can not act!!! Has anyone seen Model Behavior?!?! A little of me died inside wahching him trying to act.

"Have a child for warmth and a baker for bread and a prince for... whatever!"

pab Profile Photo
pab
#4re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 3:10pm

Of course John Travolta can play the part.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

baddadnpa Profile Photo
baddadnpa
#5re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 3:12pm

I would prefer Harvey, but if hiring superstars to star in screen musicals get more of them made, I think that is a fair compromise.

The truly beautiful should be lawfully restricted from wearing clothing; and the truly butt-ugly should be lawfully mandated from going naked.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#6re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 3:12pm

When Harvey left HAIRSPRAY, ticket sales dropped dramatically (although they still werent bad by any means). People want Harvey and Marissa. We want this phenomenal cast's excellent performances imortalized in this movie. I am officially depressed if this is true.

MissNY
#7re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 3:15pm

What "we" want is not necessarily what "they" want. Us being theatre people obviously would prefer original cast members. Unfortunately we make up only a tiny percentage of the projected audience for the movie

Magical_Ms._Mistoffeles_72 Profile Photo
Magical_Ms._Mistoffeles_72
#8re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 3:18pm

I agree that Harvey is EXTREMELY talented and funny, and yes he won a Tony award for a reason, I happen to love John Travolta. I think he would be a cool choice for this role. As for JT, I like and respect him as a pop singer, that's his domain. But, Musical Theatre? NO NO NO. Stick with what you're good at, PLEASE!

I also heard that JT was supposed to play Roger in RENT, in the December 2005 release. Don't worry fellow RENT heads, this rumor was quickly dispelled. It turns that most of the original cast will be reprising thier roles

K

Join me on journey that is the development of my first musical! Twitter/Insta @gimpymusical FB: Gimpy The Musical email @gimpymusical@gmail.com for more info!

WickedShopofQ Profile Photo
WickedShopofQ
#9re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 3:25pm

who will play the other leads? (tracy, penny, amber, etc.)
im hoping some original cast members but some big names would be good.
Mandy moore as Amber
Lacey Chabert as Penny

just ideas

...Please understand that it's still strange and frightning...

DefyingPopular
#10re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 3:26pm

they should have the HS cast return in their roles also!!!

QHDramaQueen
#11re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 3:27pm

This movie is sinking faster then the Titanic....Its a shame because I had such high hopes for it..

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#12re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 3:29pm

I knew that Timberlake would get buzz about that role.

My cast:

Tracey - Marissa Jaret Winokur
Edna - Harvey Fierstein
Penny - Lacey Chabert
Amber - Kirsten Dunst
Wilbur - Len Cariou
Link - Justin Timberlake
Motormouth - Patti LaBelle
Velma - Glenn Close
Seaweed - Usher
Corny Collins - Donny Osmond
Ms. Pingleton / Gym Teacher / Warden - Ana Gastayer

pab Profile Photo
pab
#13re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 3:30pm

Two cast members have been mentioned as POSSIBLE cast members and the movie is sinking faster than the Titanic? Your screen name is appropriate Drama Queen.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

buffyactsing Profile Photo
buffyactsing
#14re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 3:35pm

Couldn't they have someone at least a little chubby play the role? Otherwise this whole fat suit thing is becoming the new black face...it's pretty offensive...I guess not so much this as other things, but thin celebrities in fat suits playing characters where weight matters to them...I don't know...

"This ocean runs more dark and deep than you may think you know...I'll be the fear of the fire at sea." -Marie Christine

broadway betty Profile Photo
broadway betty
#15re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 3:36pm

Why do studios keep trying to ruin our beloved musicals with actors who are not right for these parts just because they think it will bring in a bigger audience? Just because a famous actor is in a movie does not equal success. I'd rather have people who are great in these roles than a name. Harvey IS Edna, that's it!

"I'm the STAR!"--Daniel Reichard during Glory Daze sound check

DefyingPopular
#16re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 3:38pm

http://imdb.com/title/tt0427327/

not much up there, but it will be updated i'm sure.

pab Profile Photo
pab
#17re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 3:38pm

"Harvey IS Edna, that's it!"

That's just BS. I've seen three Ednas, including Harvery, on Broadway and they were all good.

#18re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 3:43pm

Wow-- How great for Harvey that he's owned this role from the start! But wait-- he didn't! Divine originated the role in the film. Youngsters may not believe this but some people were horrified that Harvey was going to attempt to follow in the footsteps of the great Divine! "Career suicide!"

Could you maybe SEE the movie before you write it off?

broadway betty Profile Photo
broadway betty
#19re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 3:43pm

That's not bull! I also saw Michael McKean and Bruce Vilanch and they didn't come close to Harvey's excellence. They didn't make me laugh at all. And I didn't walk in saying that I wouldn't enjoy myself cuz it wasn't the obc. I loved Marissa and Carly. I wouldn't mind John Goodman as Edna.

"I'm the STAR!"--Daniel Reichard during Glory Daze sound check

pab Profile Photo
pab
#20re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 3:49pm

I think that some of you people do a great disservice to actors when you firmly believe that the first person that you saw in a role is the only person that can ever do it justice. No actor owns any role, and as other Broadway shows make the transfer to film you better get used to this because RENT is an exception.

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#21re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 3:50pm

There was no "possible" in the article. Those two are set. John Travolta, I could understand. He did Saturday Night Fever and Grease, but Justin...blah. I just stopped reading.

This is my signature.

442namffug Profile Photo
442namffug
#22re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 3:58pm

I shouldn't judge a movie before I've seen it, BUT..it looks like this movie will be a failure. I don't even know why they need to make it. Unless you can add a new element, theme, or new ideas to a story or show that is on Broadway, there is NO reason to make it into a movie. For example, Chicago was reworked and the movie was very original, however, Hairspray doesn't seem to have that same kind of potential and there is no need to make it into a movie. Especially not with this cast...

pab Profile Photo
pab
#23re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 3:58pm

Yes, I remember very well people saying "Renée Zellweger, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Richard Gere are going to be in the movie version of "Chicago"? This movie is going to suck!"

Swiftynifty15
#24re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 4:00pm

Would someone famous be playing Tracy do you think? It is a great role for a new actress.

Videos