Sunday revival?

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#25re: Sunday revival?
Posted: 4/28/05 at 5:11pm

NOT Audra.

Melissa Errico!

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#26re: Sunday revival?
Posted: 4/28/05 at 5:15pm

Why, whenever a Sondheim revival is discussed do so many people want to see the same casts from the Sondheim Festival in DC a few years ago? I'm assuming most people didn't see them live, because most of the productions were pretty mediocre, in my opinion. Certainly nothing I saw there would I want to see repeated on Broadway.

What happened to original ideas?
Updated On: 4/28/05 at 05:15 PM

Chrysanthemum62001
#27re: Sunday revival?
Posted: 4/28/05 at 5:18pm

Blue Wizard, I agree with you. I think Audra is perfect for the part.

If they did a revival with the Ravinia cast, I would be one happy camper.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#28re: Sunday revival?
Posted: 4/28/05 at 5:21pm

Actually, I thought Audra wouldn't be right for the role. re: Sunday revival?

I'd actually like to see them cast someone new, someone we've never seen before. It'd be a great star vehicle, no?

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

munkustrap178
#29re: Sunday revival?
Posted: 4/28/05 at 5:24pm

Regardless of whether Errico had appeared in the show in DC or not, I still would have suggested her.

Actually, the ideal cast would be:

George: Michael Cerveris
Dot: Laura Benanti
Old Lady: Beth Fowler
Jules: Michael Berresse
Yvonne: Jan Maxwell
A Soldier: Christopher Seiber
Mr.: Phillip Bosco
Mrs.: Margo Martindale
Celeste #1: Keli O'Hara
Celeste #2: I'm blanking...

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#30re: Sunday revival?
Posted: 4/28/05 at 5:38pm

AUDRA!!! I saw her at Ravinia and it was A-Ma-zing!!! seriously blew my socks off...didn't see Errico but man audra is off the roof she had the audience eating out of the palm of her hand from laughing hard in the title to (well at least me) bawling there eyes out in "We do not belong together". She moved me and i wasn't the only one when i turned around after act one we saw loads of people wiping away tears and she got an instant standing O at her bow...and for those of you out there it her race made no difference at all...it wasn't weird or anything...she blew me away as she does with anything.

RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~

moljul Profile Photo
moljul
#31re: Sunday revival?
Posted: 4/28/05 at 6:17pm

Where does it state that George is 24? I never thought of him as that young. He's done what, like 7 chromolumes by then. I would think he would be in his early 30s. I'm assuming you are talking about the second act George.

First act George would be in his late 20s or around 30 in that he died at 31.

WillParker
#32re: Sunday revival?
Posted: 4/28/05 at 6:23pm

MUNKS, YOU ARE MY HERO!!!! i was just about to post that Laura B should play Dot (she'd be amazing)....but with Raul, not Cerveris.

for what it's worth, i couldnt stand Ms. Errico in the role. she lacked a major "something," tho i cant put my finger on just what. i did like her as Marie in act 2, for what it's worth.

"I'll eat some breakfast then change the world." "I hate you, and I hate your ass face!"

Michael Bennett
#33re: Sunday revival?
Posted: 4/28/05 at 6:25pm

Historically, Georges Seurat was 24 when he painted LA GRANDE JATTE. Obviously, however, the musical is a "fantasia" of sorts on the real Seurat's life. Mandy Patinkin was 31 when he played it.

Michael Bennett
#34re: Sunday revival?
Posted: 4/28/05 at 6:27pm

"for what it's worth, i couldnt stand Ms. Errico in the role. she lacked a major "something," tho i cant put my finger on just what.."

She couldn't sing it. How's that for a finger?
Updated On: 4/28/05 at 06:27 PM

OtherDaryl Profile Photo
OtherDaryl
#35re: Sunday revival?
Posted: 4/28/05 at 6:33pm

Audra was amazing at Ravinia - I posted at that time that she made me forget any other Dot by the half-way point in the opening number.

Cerveris was just fine - the singing was wonderful - he needs an opportunity to make it his own, much as he did Giorgio in Passion.

And LuPone was astonishing doubling in support as Yvonne in Act I (the whole darn thing became about Yvonne for a magical few moments) and Naomi, the critic in Act II.

"Love Life. Live." Michael Bennett
Updated On: 4/28/05 at 06:33 PM

Plum
#36re: Sunday revival?
Posted: 4/28/05 at 6:37pm

*le sigh* Here I am, taking an unpopular stand again, but I'd rather not see Audra McDonald in the role of Dot. Not because of any race issues, but because I just don't think she's that well-suited for it, vocally. I actually think she could do a great "We Do Not Belong Together," but I have my doubts when I imagine her singing "Everybody Loves Louis" or "Children and Art."

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#37re: Sunday revival?
Posted: 4/28/05 at 6:57pm

trust me plum she can pull it off vocally...more than that. Her everbody loves louis was very funny and her children and art was pure magic...she had this old woman voice down solid...she also put a lot of feisty-ness into it which made it fun. She really reminded me of some of the Women i'd met in charleston...there name slipps my mind but the kind that weave the baskets...she had that character down...trust me she rocks the SH!T!!

RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~

moljul Profile Photo
moljul
#38re: Sunday revival?
Posted: 4/28/05 at 8:07pm

Thanks MB. I had in my mind that the painting was done closer to the end of his life and I also wasn't aware of any character descriptions for the show that had him that young.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#39re: Sunday revival?
Posted: 4/28/05 at 8:43pm

"Melissa Errico and Mr. Esparza made "Move On" an eloquent evocation of the need to accept change and move forward in life" -- Stephen Holden, New York Times

In the musical's leading roles, Raul Esparza and Melissa Errico give polished and effective performances….Errico, in radiant voice is particularly fetching as the young Dot - she's more demure than Bernadette Peters' prickly original" -- Charles Isherwood, Variety

"Melissa Errico sings charmingly": "Ms. Errico is stirring in the climatic hymn to artistic progress in 'Move On." -- Ben Brantley, New York Times

"(Raul….) and the lark-like Melissa Errico confidently occupy a sparer, subtly modernized stage, and in doing so they (Raul and Melissa) cut more sharply to the heart of the matter" -- Lisa Schwartzbaum, Entertainment Weekly

munkustrap178
#40re: Sunday revival?
Posted: 4/28/05 at 8:52pm

I knew I loved you for a reason, mef.

melissa errico fan
#41re: Sunday revival?
Posted: 4/28/05 at 8:56pm

re: Sunday revival?

I do what I can.

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#42re: Sunday revival?
Posted: 4/28/05 at 9:39pm

I was 31 when we did the national tour in 1993/94. I played Jules, who is just a contemporary of George. Not that that means anything at all. Just sort of puts things in context for me.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

melissa errico fan
#43re: Sunday revival?
Posted: 4/28/05 at 9:43pm

And Mandy looked like he was in his forties, with the beard and mustache, etc.

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#44re: Sunday revival?
Posted: 4/28/05 at 9:46pm

Oh, I wouldn't say 40s - not on the DVD. He definitely looks mid thirties at the most, to me.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

melissa errico fan
#45re: Sunday revival?
Posted: 4/28/05 at 9:53pm

But definitely not early-to-mid twenties, right?

munkustrap178
#46re: Sunday revival?
Posted: 4/28/05 at 9:54pm

Definitely not 20's.

OnTheAisle Profile Photo
OnTheAisle
#47re: Sunday revival?
Posted: 4/29/05 at 2:21pm

Mandy was in his early 30s when he did George(s) and Bernadette was in her mid-30s... for those of you keeping track.

"Not a day goes by..."

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#48re: Sunday revival?
Posted: 4/29/05 at 3:39pm

I think the Esperaza and Errico production should have been transfered to broadway though Im not too fond of Errico. I think if bernedette played like the old women or sometihng than she could be in it but it is time for a new cast.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#49re: Sunday revival?
Posted: 4/29/05 at 4:02pm

I am for Audra possibly playing Dot...

But think a much more interesting revival would be "A Little Night Music." It has 11 years on SITPWG and deserves it...

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS