pixeltracker

2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???- Page 4

2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#75re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 12:45pm

I did not see her in this show, but yay for Veanne Cox. Makes up for the Caroline or Change universal snub last year.

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#76re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 12:47pm

I'm upset that Richardson didn't get nominated. It's odd... First "Streetcar" gets all of these nominations at the Outer Critics, the reviews come out, and then nothing from the Drama Desk.

thirdrowcenter Profile Photo
thirdrowcenter
#77re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 12:49pm

Margo I am visually challenged, I saw Alan Arken and it registered as Alan Alda. I'm sorry.

Plum
#78re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 12:58pm

Too bad Cox's part this year isn't nearly as good as the one she played in Caroline, which should stil be running, dammit.

Have the producers of Gem of the Ocean been doing any kind of publicity drive at all? Sending things to voters? Something? Because the only reason I can think of for this complete snubbing is people's poor memories.

umgeoboy Profile Photo
umgeoboy
#79re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 1:06pm

Congrats to altar boyz! 7 noms that rocks for the little show!

Wow I am shocked at no nomination for either sondheim show this year! Maybe his rein as king is starting to run out?

"Judy Garland, Jimmy Dean, You tragedy Queen" ~ Taboo

"Watching a frat boy realize just what he put his d!ck in...ex's getting std's...schadenfruede" ~ Ave Q

"when dangers near, exploit their fear" ~ Reefer Madness the Musical

pooryorick
#80re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 1:07pm

The Gem snub is pretty stunning. Especially since play nominations included two Shanleys -- and Sailor's Song just wasn't very good -- and Sin which was more a documentary based on legal transcripts than a truly orginal play. As for the acting, was very surprised that Phylicia and Lisa got pushed out too ... but thought that virtually all of the acting nods were on the money. And while I'm not a huge believer in awards and think the OCC is so annoying, I do think the Drama Desk people did a decent job this year with recognizing as much as they could.

#81re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 1:17pm

cathyhyatt,

If Matt was considered lead for this, Im guessing Kelli wouldve been considered lead as well, not featured. And I guess the two ladies from Dessa Rose took her spot!

Im about as surprised as everyone else to see Matt in the lead category, he was featured in the OCC noms, but Im happy anyway!

alphieboy Profile Photo
alphieboy
#82re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 1:21pm

Ok-
My problems...
1. Where is Esparza in the outstanding actor in a musical? This is surely a mistake, he should have gotten a nod here...(confused) I also feel Mrs. Dilly could have gotten a nod(just wait until the Tonys)
2. Gem of the Ocean? Iam a little confused here, why is this show being ignored? I dont understand that...
3. Matthew Morrison was clearly put into the wrong category( he should be supporting) then Esparza should get his rightful nod.
4. There is nothing good about Brooklyn except Ramona Keller! I think that this girl deserves a supporting actress nominee. She is overlooked because of the flop itself, but should still get a well deserved nod! oh well...

I can not wait until the Tonys

"If I have something to say, the whole world (BroadwayWorld) should hear it." - Thenardier
Updated On: 4/28/05 at 01:21 PM

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#83re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 1:23pm

Great for La Chaze. Maybe this will make her feel better, I know she's had a crappy time of it lately.

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#84re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 1:27pm

A very big congratulations to Doug Cohen for his work on Children's Letters....

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

Albin Profile Photo
Albin
#85re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 1:29pm

where's Michael Benjamin Washington's featured actor nom?
How about a non-competitive ensemble award for Les Cagelles?

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#86re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 1:29pm

Congratulations to all the nominees. Some of my favorites:
Matt Morrison re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Norm Lewis re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Forbidden Broadway !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions??? re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions??? re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions??? re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Jen Simard re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Dame Edna
Rachel York
Chanze. re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Updated On: 4/28/05 at 01:29 PM

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#87re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 1:30pm

Where is Esparaza in the outstanding actor in a musical? This is surely a mistake, he should have gotten a nod here...

It's Esparza first of all. re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions??? Second, I'm pissed, but I didn't expect him to get one. Just like I don't expect him to get a Tony nod. I'll be disappointed, but there are too many this year who... I don't want to say are better than he is, because I don't think the way he's not truly shining is HIS fault so much as the fault of his material (maybe I'm just making excuses for him, I don't know) but anyway, who are just standing out way more than he is. He's kind of lost in Chitty. Not bad, just not Raúl.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Plum
#88re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 1:33pm

Les Cagelles aren't part of an ensemble cast- there's leads in La Cage. I was thinking the cast of Twelve Angry Men needs an ensemble award if any cast does.

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#89re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 1:37pm

We're at 89 posts and nobody has mentioned the snubs for Bill Irwin and Mireille Enos?

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

sweetiedarlinmia Profile Photo
sweetiedarlinmia
#90re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 1:38pm

My heart hurts just thinking about this complete and utter iinjustice done to Gem.

pooryorick
#91re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 1:40pm

Agreed on Mirielle. Irwin is nominated.

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#92re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 1:45pm

Oh so he is. I'm so blind.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#93re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 1:53pm

I think Esparza is in the wrong show to suit his talents.

Roddick19 Profile Photo
Roddick19
#94re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 1:54pm

I'm so happy Matt Morrison got a nod for Light in the PIazza. He is being so overlooked by critics because of the magnitude of Victoria Clark (who is amazing). I'm so so so excited for him!!!

No Day But Today

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#95re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 2:04pm

Well, a couple of notes. I do think some of the omissions were odd-Litghow, Ramirez, etc. But I do hafta say there were some nominations, a lot of off-broadway that did make me happy. I'm very happy for the "Audience" getting a best musical nomination, I think it was great, very intelligent, and certainly in my opinion more deserving than any other Broadway show left. And it should certainly win lighting design, took a lot of effort to highlight each section.

Also pleased with Jen Simard's nomination for FB, both times I saw it, she was really great, makes me laugh, does great impersonations, has a great voice, and I'm happy for her.

Also interesting that the drama desk gives separate awards for music and lyrics, that should be interesting to see who takes each.

I also agree it is slightly odd Matt is in leading category, I too would have thought he should be in featured, and I agree with Mistress on Kelli-she was probably put in leading but was knocked out for the Dessa Rose people, but I'd expect to see her there Tony time.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

alphieboy Profile Photo
alphieboy
#96re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 2:06pm

Excuse my extra a mistake. I just expected him to get a nod. I felt he deserved one. Just a little shocked I guess...

"If I have something to say, the whole world (BroadwayWorld) should hear it." - Thenardier

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#97re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 2:06pm

He is, Bobby; he's talented enough that there's no reason he can't do it, but it's just... not right.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#98re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 2:08pm

Poppy, I didn't mention her because I *blush* couldn't remember her name.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#99re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 2:10pm

Emcee. I can't figure out if we agree or disagree. What I'm saying is, traditional musical comedy, fluff and all that, probably isn't the best thing for Esparza to do. He can do it, but it just doesn't seem to be a perfect match, not because he isn't talented. Make sense?