DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES

RentBoy86
#0DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES
Posted: 5/1/05 at 11:14pm

DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES
What was this musical about? I saw this clip of it at http://www.theatre-musical.com/ (aka Stacy's Musical Village). It had the song "total eclipse of the heart" on it? What's that about? Can anyone give me a run down of the story? Is there a cast recording? how long did it run? what theater did it play at? I know that it was a critical bomb as well. Thanks.

Unmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
#1re: DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES
Posted: 5/1/05 at 11:37pm

I wish this show was still on Broadway with the "original" script. Read the sypnosis on that page you were at it's very detailed.
There was never a cast recording made but I wish they had.....the only recordings the Vienna Cast Recording and I think a German recording.
The Vienna Cast Recording has Steve Barton as Count Krolock...Steve was the original Raul from POTO...Michael Crawford was the Broadway Krolock and he was the original Phantom.

Facebook...ME !!!

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#2re: DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES
Posted: 5/1/05 at 11:42pm

there were some english versions of songs recorded for the Broadway demo CD. but some of the songs on the demo are still in German...

Derek
#3re: DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES
Posted: 5/1/05 at 11:55pm

I LOVED THIS SHOW!!

Razz77 Profile Photo
Razz77
#4re: DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES
Posted: 5/2/05 at 12:03am

Wasn't Julia Murney originally offered a role in this but turned it down becuase she thought it was a stinker?

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#5re: DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES
Posted: 5/2/05 at 12:12am

I really loved this show. I think the sets, costumes, lighting, etc. were all state of the art incredible. It should have swept the design categories at the Tonys, had it lasted long enough.

Without Michael Crawford, the show would have been better. I love the music and I really really loved this show.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

rockfenris2005
#6re: DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES
Posted: 5/2/05 at 1:35am

Go to my website: www.freewebs.com/lordofexcess

Dedicated to the composer. I also sing a song from the show,
which I have on the main page. DOTV is an amazing musical from
Europe that was savaged on Broadway a few years ago. It's the
mnost phenomenal hit musical in Germany - but at the same time, lol, one of the greatest flops in the history of Broadway. Eeek

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

rockfenris2005
#7re: DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES
Posted: 5/2/05 at 1:37am

P.S.
Julia Murney worked with Steinman again on the CD for The Confidence Man - released in 2003 for Equity Fights AIDS / Broadway Cares. Ironically, several melodies were recycled for Dance of the Vampires... TCM is a lot older (has been around since the 70s)

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

RentBoy86
#8re: DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES
Posted: 5/2/05 at 1:46am

How long did Dance play and at what theater? I dunno, I saw the video and was confused because it had two vampires singing total eclipse of the heart...

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#9re: DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES
Posted: 5/2/05 at 1:48am

It previewed longer than it ran, I believe, at the Minskoff Theatre.

You can find all this information you ask for on www.ibdb.com

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

RentBoy86
#10re: DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES
Posted: 5/2/05 at 2:17am

Wow, that's horrible.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#11re: DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES
Posted: 5/2/05 at 3:19am

Take a look at this, too.

But be patient if you're on dialup.

And turn your speakers down.

WAY DOWN.
http://www.dotvfans.com/

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

RentBoy86
#12re: DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES
Posted: 5/2/05 at 3:55am

Thanks so much Lizzie, I think i've actually fallen in love with this show. Its just so mesmerizing and glamourous and over the top, its awesome. too bad now obc.

EDIT: After watching those media clips, I wish there was a recording. Is there a London Cast Recording? Is it any good? I think Crawford definently sucked in this performace. There's one clip of him and he just looked crazy and sang crazy. I didnt really care for him on the OC of Phantome either. The man just looks like he was out of it in the video. Updated On: 5/2/05 at 03:55 AM

LizzieCurry
#13re: DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES
Posted: 5/2/05 at 4:04am

There is no London cast recording -- there was no London production.

rockfenris2005
#14re: DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES
Posted: 5/2/05 at 5:24am

RentBoy. If you'd check my website, in the MUSICALS section, you will know all the answers to everything you need. Trust me! Now go and do it. And there is an excerpt from the show, which I have sang. Here is the URL: www.freewebs.com/lordofexcess
Thank you. Enjoy. As a Steinman philosopher I am here for any questiions. You have but to ask...

rockfenris2005
#15re: DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES
Posted: 5/2/05 at 5:26am

Thank you Lizzie! Wow! Am I a ghost or something?
That's three times now

rockfenris2005
#16re: DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES
Posted: 5/2/05 at 8:57am

So this is just lost on the scrapheap?

I love this site :)

Updated On: 5/2/05 at 08:57 AM

LizzieCurry
#17re: DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES
Posted: 5/2/05 at 1:12pm

Three times what? That the OP doesn't pay attention to you? re: DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES

DancerGirl16 Profile Photo
DancerGirl16
#18re: DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES
Posted: 5/2/05 at 1:26pm

I love DOTV! DOTV rocks my world!

When someone blunders, we say that he makes a misstep. Is it then not clear that all the ills of mankind, all the tragic misfortunes that fill our history books, all the political blunders, all the failures of the great leaders have arisen merely from a lack of skill in dancing. - Moliere

Sunfish
#19re: DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES
Posted: 5/3/05 at 5:16pm

I loved the Broadway DOTV and have no complaints about the performances. It was a visually stunning, exciting, funny, and moving show, and it has a lot of fans on this site. Some Steinman fans have eternal axes to grind, and that's who you are most likely to hear from, RentBoy. The fans of the Broadway show are tired of arguing about it, they went through hell 2 years ago, and now just keep their memories close.

The show had it's problems, and there is a lot of mythology about it, growing into legend far beyond what actually happened on or off stage. There are a million opinions on what could have been done to improve it, but ultimately it was the show it was, and was enjoyed by a number of people even while being savaged by a bunch of others. Conventional wisdom is that it was an utter flop (it was financially) and that it's participants have to somehow live down having been involved. I don't believe they do.

RentBoy86
#20re: DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES
Posted: 5/3/05 at 5:30pm

so there's no english recording of this show?

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#21re: DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES
Posted: 5/3/05 at 5:39pm

like I said, there are some songs in English from the demo that was put together for the Broadway run but that's it... it has ten English tracks and two German tracks. the songs are

1. The Nightmare
2. Total Eclipse of the Heart
3. The Insatiable Greed
4. For Sarah
5. Is Nothing Sacred Anymore?
6. Make Us Braver Than We Are
7. Come With Me
8. Hey, Ho, Professor
9. Time Now To Feed
10. Knoblauch (Garlic)
11. Tot Zu Sein Ist Komisch (Death is Such an Odd Thing)
12. Dance of the Vampires
Updated On: 5/3/05 at 05:39 PM

Loge Profile Photo
Loge
#22re: DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES
Posted: 5/3/05 at 8:00pm

DOTV sucked! TDV is one of my favorite musicals and was brilliant. What I saw in Vienna was incredible. What I saw in Vienna made me think the show would be a smash hit on Broadway. What they turned TDV into for Broadway was horrible (based on the DVD I have - never saw the show). They ruined it completely. It is sad, because I would still love an English recording. The only commerical cast recordings are both of the Vienna production - one complete, the other highlights. Definitely get the complete. The 2CD set is amazing and the highlights just doesn't count it.

"What the hell happened to you? You look like a Make-A-Wish Kid. You know, I just knew you were gonna bring shame on this new family of ours, and it just figures you had to go make yourself over into some heroin-shootin skate board chic on the only day E! could interview you!" - Cherry Cherry, on her daughter Mary Cherry

cathyhyatt
#23re: DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES
Posted: 5/3/05 at 9:20pm

one of my FAVORITES...top three...along with les miserables and dracula(I can't really order them I just can't...but I guess dotv at the top) ahhh i LOVE that show!!

"You won't fight without layers of armor Suit on up and come brace my sword You look back when the pieces are missing Hollowed out hope that no time can restore."

ChristineDaae Profile Photo
ChristineDaae
#24re: DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES
Posted: 5/6/05 at 1:15pm

OMG you never heard of DOTV =-( I loved this show!!! I wish it was still playing.

"Life will be frozen peaches and cream. Baby, dream Your Dream" ~ SC

Videos