pixeltracker

The Official "Let's Gossip about the Tony's" thread.

The Official "Let's Gossip about the Tony's" thread.

alphieboy Profile Photo
alphieboy
#0The Official "Let's Gossip about the Tony's" thread.
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:40pm

Some possible topics.

- Christina's awful performance
- Norbert and Michele
- Mrs. Peters opening
- Bee's special guest
- Sara being sick
- Cherry and Sarah
- Nathan's hair
- Hugh's hosting
- winners
- as well as losers

gossip.

"If I have something to say, the whole world (BroadwayWorld) should hear it." - Thenardier
Updated On: 6/5/05 at 11:40 PM

ashley0139
#1re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:43pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't enjoy Christina. I was looking forward to her, and was pretty disappointed. I thought it was just me.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

alphieboy Profile Photo
alphieboy
#2re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:45pm

Yes, she was quite horrible. Although I was not looking foward to seeing her, I figured something like that would have happend. But how funny was it when she fell in the hole! I was cracking up!

"If I have something to say, the whole world (BroadwayWorld) should hear it." - Thenardier

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#3re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:46pm

Ugh! Celebrate the life of the most amazing musical theatre composer in the history of the art form with a song that he didn't even compose music to! Insulting!

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

alphieboy Profile Photo
alphieboy
#4re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:49pm

Agreed.

CJR
#5re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:52pm

I actually almost fell off my bed when Christina made her entrance. That was gold.

Better than her actual Tony performance.

"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

FosseBoi
#6re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:53pm

I ACTUALLY liked Nathens hair! I thought it was cute!re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.

I was trying to deside between PIAZZA and CHARITY when I go up in July...Thank you Christina! NOT going to CHARITY! I did LOVE the part when she fell! I DIED laughing!re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line

hellacoolmichael
#7re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:54pm

I thought she did rather well...

And what do you mean by "Mrs. Peters Opening"?
I love Bernedette.

theatreboi11
#8re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:55pm

I think Hugh's magic has worn off as Tony host. Not much time was dedicated to him actually hosting. Maybe time for the next person in line to host next year?

(Martha Graham from a letter to Agnes de Mille) "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening That is translated through you into action, And because there is only one of you in all time, This expression is unique. If you block it, It will never exist through any other medium And be lost. The world will never have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, Nor how valuable it is, Nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours, clearly and directly, To keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep open and aware Directly to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open. No artist is pleased. There is no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is only a queer, divine dissatisfaction, A blessed unrest that keeps us marching And makes us more alive than others."

alphieboy Profile Photo
alphieboy
#9re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:57pm

I meant exactly what I said "Mrs. Peter's opening". This was not meant in a disgracful way at all.

It was a thrill to have her open! I am always so glad to hear her sing, and have not in awhile. That was a special treat.

alphieboy Profile Photo
alphieboy
#10re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:58pm

I agree with the Hugh comment. It is just...blah.

FosseBoi
#11re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/6/05 at 12:00am

I want Bernie to host next year! Sorry, I thread jacking!

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line

alphieboy Profile Photo
alphieboy
#12re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/6/05 at 12:01am

That would be amazing!

ThoroughlyModernEmily
#13re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/6/05 at 12:08am

i loved that bernadette opened the show but then it cut to the video of all the old shows and little snippets of shows that were going to perform later. i used to so look forward to the opening number but this years definitely didnt do it for me and the rest of the show was just ok. as much as i adore hugh jackman, maybe they do need a new host.

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#14re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/6/05 at 12:14am

Christina's dancing was awful. Aretha's "singing" was pathetic. Nathan's hair (or lack thereof) was rather unattractive. It looked like Sara almost had a wardrobe malfunction. Norbert and Michlle seem really happy. Bernadette and Idina are perfection. My only complaint about Hugh is that he wasn't naked.
Updated On: 6/6/05 at 12:14 AM

~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo
~FloweryFriend~
#15re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/6/05 at 12:17am

ANNE HATHAWAY'S DRESS WAS THE UGLIEST MONSTROUSITY THAT I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!

I starred in a short film called Magnetic Personality. Check it out!

brdwaybaby17 Profile Photo
brdwaybaby17
#16re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/6/05 at 12:21am

This might be rude, but did Christina look strangely unattractive to anyone else tonight? lol

I thought Cherry and Sarah were cute... glad my mom missed that moment though... lol

The news kept interrupting here with weather... I cried... repeatedly... I missed part of Bernadette and Billy... and some speeches... but I guess it's ok I missed half of Christina's performance... according to you guys? All I know is I heard her first note when she was singing and I wanted to cry again...

#17re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/6/05 at 12:43am

Princeton and Munk : attention must be paid , I am not saying a word.

BwayTheatre11
#18re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/6/05 at 8:30am

Isn't gossip something like: did you see how wasted Christina was at the after party??

We all know:
- Christina's awful performance
- Norbert and Michele
- Mrs. Peters opening
- Bee's special guest
- Sara being sick
- Cherry and Sarah
- Nathan's hair
- Hugh's hosting
- winners
- as well as losers

CCM '10!

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#19re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/6/05 at 8:51am

Good point, Bway. So DID anyone see how wasted Christina was at the after party?

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

bostonbroadwayfan
#20re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/6/05 at 9:06am

Christina didn't help sell any tickets last night.

Did anyone notice Sarah JP with Matthew cause I didn't see her.

The opening was funny but the rest dragged for me.
The audio mix was awful.

BoxFive Profile Photo
BoxFive
#21re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/6/05 at 9:21am

Audio mix was beyond awful...even worse in person, I'm livid!

Unfledge them of their...perriwigs, And they appear like bald-cootes, in the nest. Beaumont, Knt. Malta, (1616).

wendy72 Profile Photo
wendy72
#22re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/6/05 at 9:27am

We all know:
- Christina's awful performance --it did not bother me, but it did not impress me..she looked very pretty in her Tony dress, though.
- Norbert and Michele--they looked happy, but her dress would have been prettier if it was full-length. Loved Norbs comments about his dad being the culprit for his name and the shot of Sherie and John in tears as Norbs was speaking about them.
- Mrs. Peters opening--I don't know about the opening, but she butchered both Norb's and John Lithgow's (it's GOW not GO) names.
- Bee's special guest --it worked better than I thought it would, but what about Bloomberg, or Guliani, or even Denzel?
- Sara being sick -was she lip-synching??
- Cherry and Sarah--fine by me
- Nathan's hair--no comment
- Hugh's hosting --he did not have enough to do, his interaction with Billy Crystal was priceless and they should have cut the "Never Gonna Dance" bit as well as Aretha...why couldn't he sing with Audra?
- winners --Bill Irwin--a surprise and a totally wonderful speech..my favorite moment apart from Norb's win
AND..when Tim Curry was speaking the lines of "Find Your Grail"..did anyone have a Rocky Horror flashback? It put a smile on my face and made me want to see this show. I'm seeing it in January, hopefully most of the cast will still be in it--I know Hank will!

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#23re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/6/05 at 9:27am

Too bad about Christina's performance. She was MUCH better when I saw her in the show. I wonder if there were some problems hearing the orchestra. Hugh and Jesse also sang way out of tune and I've never heard Jesse hit a sour note before. And what was up with Victoria holding the mike for a while for the Piazza number? Seems there were some technical glitches.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

twogaab2
#24re: The Official 'Let's gossip about the Tony's thread'.
Posted: 6/6/05 at 9:46am

To do her credit, Applegate is much better in performance in "Sweet Charity". Her singing is much better controlled at the Hershfeld that it was at Radio City. (Keep in mind she is not the only performer to be done in by the size of the hall-remember Tonya Pinkins last year) When the hall is full of people there is very little bounce (aural feedback) for the performer to gage what they are doing. It might been better to give the awards at a more reasonablly sized Broadway house once again.

TWOGAAB "A Class Act" will never die!

Videos