why the bleeped Chita?

itstheM Profile Photo
itstheM
#0why the bleeped Chita?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 3:13pm

I don't get why they needed to bleep her after she made the mistake with the names. All she said was "Forgive me." You can read her lips, it's what she says.

Baby, dream your dream Close your eyes and try it!

#1re: why the bleeped Chita?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 3:24pm

Apparently when she made the mistake, she also cursed.

EDIT: I just realized you are the poster who was actually there.
But I read she dropped a bomb on a few other sites. Is that the case?
Updated On: 6/6/05 at 03:24 PM

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#2re: why the bleeped Chita?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 3:32pm

man i must've missed it. what are you two talking about? lol.

Madame X Profile Photo
Madame X
#3re: why the bleeped Chita?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 3:47pm

She said "Jesus" after she nearly killed John Kander by accident.

"Some of us have it worse, you know, Dana. Some of us are dating lesbian men. Okay? C'mon."

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#4re: why the bleeped Chita?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 3:54pm

The producers we're probably just being overly careful. A lot of things that people used to be able to say on tv (pissed, ass, jesus, bitch) are now questionable at certain times because no one really knows for sure what is deemed "obscene" and what is not. If they had aired they probably wouldn't have been that big of a deal. Hopefully we'll be able to move past all this FCC silliness eventually.

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

rKrispyt Profile Photo
rKrispyt
#5re: why the bleeped Chita?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 4:12pm

oops, double post - see below re: why the bleeped Chita?

If I show you the darkness I hold inside, will you bring me to light?
Updated On: 6/6/05 at 04:12 PM

rKrispyt Profile Photo
rKrispyt
#6re: why the bleeped Chita?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 4:12pm

lol, I asked the same thing last night.

My friends were like "did she just say the 'f' word?" and I was like "naw, she said "forgive me" and my friend was like "ah, but she said Jesus and George Bush is our president so it was censored" lol.

(sorry to any bush supporters...well, except not really)

but actually, didn't they bleep her before she even got out 'Kander'? She was like "Fred Ebb and John" and her mic went out. I thought it was a nice cover and like, I dunno, I really believed her (that she was so used to saying the two names together) and that she felt bad, she was classy about it - I mean, who says "forgive me" and not "oh f***, I'm sorry, I screwed that up" or something vulgar?

tagiunagi
#7re: why the bleeped Chita?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 4:16pm

Chita: I am here to present an award for two composers we lost this year - Kander & Ebb. Oh ****! Kander didn't die.

Question: Will Esparza win for The Homecoming? BobbyBubby: I hope so. If only for the mental health of many people on this board.

Madame X Profile Photo
Madame X
#8re: why the bleeped Chita?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 4:19pm

Her mic didn't go out...she just suddenly realized what she was saying...

"Some of us have it worse, you know, Dana. Some of us are dating lesbian men. Okay? C'mon."

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#9re: why the bleeped Chita?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 4:21pm

i just passed that part a few minutes ago and i realized what you mean. wonder why she was bleeped. she didnt seem to have been swearing.

rKrispyt Profile Photo
rKrispyt
#10re: why the bleeped Chita?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 4:38pm

tagiunagi, that's so not a quote, lol

she said Fred Ebb first, first of all...

#11re: why the bleeped Chita?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 5:47pm

She did not use the f word. She started to say John Kander but stopped before she said Kander. She then apologized and said Jesus forgive me.

Tgiunagi that was not what she said. Not even close.

Updated On: 6/6/05 at 05:47 PM

Madame X Profile Photo
Madame X
#12re: why the bleeped Chita?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 11:30pm

Rewatching it just now, I don't think she said Jesus. I think she said goodness. And sitting in the theatre, I don't remember hearing anything that set off my bleep-dar. Tricky fingers those cbs folks have.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#13re: why the bleeped Chita?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 11:32pm

Did anyone laugh when that happened?
I laughed really hard.
I mean, I feel guilty that I laughed, but I thought it was kind of sad in a funny way.

Wow, ohk, I'm a terrible person.

~Steven

Madame X Profile Photo
Madame X
#14re: why the bleeped Chita?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 11:33pm

Actually, if this thread hadn't been up, I would've thought it was an audio malfunction. They were all over the place last night.

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#15re: why the bleeped Chita?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 11:47pm

I don't know why they would have bleeped her if she didn't say the f word. Maybe she did, maybe she didn't. Obviously she was pretty embarrassed!

Thesbijean
#16re: why the bleeped Chita?
Posted: 6/7/05 at 1:11am

She didn't curse at all. I was right there...she just corrected herself and said "I am so used to saying those two names together..."

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#17re: why the bleeped Chita?
Posted: 6/7/05 at 2:05am

I just watched it again and it looked like she said "Jesus forgive me."

TonyInATL Profile Photo
TonyInATL
#18re: why the bleeped Chita?
Posted: 6/7/05 at 2:18am

Madame X, I think you're right. I really don't believe that Ms. Rivera's speech was censored, I just noticed that the show had audio problems throughout. Very often, mics would go out. Could this also be the reason for Victoria Clark using the hand mike at the beginning of Piazza's performance?

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#19re: why the bleeped Chita?
Posted: 6/7/05 at 2:22am

Chita33 and Elphaba3 are correct. (It wasn't bleeped here in Australia). What was said "Jesus forgive me". That of course isn't blasphemous, if she had just said "Jesus" then it would be. So why it was censored there is anyone's guess.
So, then the ceremony is on delay?

neelyohara Profile Photo
neelyohara
#20re: why the bleeped Chita?
Posted: 6/7/05 at 2:34am

I'm sure the ceremony was on a delay this year as I know it certainly was last year in light of the Janet Jackson fiasco, a silly thing in my opinion but whatever. Ms. Rivera should not have been censored...that was so unnecessary.

Not today, Geraldine.

tagiunagi
#21re: why the bleeped Chita?
Posted: 6/7/05 at 2:54am

Ok, maybe I paraphrased the quote. I use the term "paraphrase" lightly re: why the bleeped Chita?

Question: Will Esparza win for The Homecoming? BobbyBubby: I hope so. If only for the mental health of many people on this board.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#22re: why the bleeped Chita?
Posted: 6/7/05 at 4:24am

"What was said "Jesus forgive me". That of course isn't blasphemous, if she had just said "Jesus" then it would be. So why it was censored there is anyone's guess."

Lesson #1 in why punctuation matters: It could have been intended to be written "Jesus! Forgive me..." I have used it as a expletive on occasion, so I'm guessing the guy with his finger on the bleep button could have interpreted it as such and played it safe by taking it out.

I just find it funny that CBS felt that Tonys warranted a time-delay. This is a (relatively) classy awards show, not the Superbowl Half-Time Show, or the MTV VMAs. Other than a few curse words, what horrible obscenities were they expecting would happen?

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#23re: why the bleeped Chita?
Posted: 6/7/05 at 6:11am

They did bleep out a few "naughty bits" (Wink Wink Nudge Nudge) during the DRS number

Poster Emeritus

adamnyc Profile Photo
adamnyc
#24re: why the bleeped Chita?
Posted: 6/7/05 at 9:01am

I missed the bleeping- i saw Chita but no bleeps
Chita rocks whether she is bleeped or not!

"I want to tell you that Elvis would be proud." I said: "Priscilla, if I get 100 bad reviews, it won't matter because of what you said."

Videos