pixeltracker

Dreamgirls movie - What things do you feel should not be changed?

Dreamgirls movie - What things do you feel should not be changed?

Kringas
#0Dreamgirls movie - What things do you feel should not be changed?
Posted: 6/9/05 at 1:04am

Or, if you will, what changes do you foresee that could be made that would diminish your overall enjoyment? It's a simple fact of life that the show will not be coming to the screen exactly as it was onstage, and I'm curious to know what some of you think should come to the screen exactly as played onstage.

For example, my heart will break a little if "Heavy" is not in it in it's entirety. The same with "It's All Over." And I'll also be quite bummed if the end of "And I'm Telling You" doesn't segue immediately into "Love, Love You, Baby."

Anyone else?

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

Demitri2 Profile Photo
Demitri2
#1re: Dreamgirls movie - What things do you feel should not be changed?
Posted: 6/9/05 at 1:15am

I just hope "Steppin' to the Bad Side" has the same impact it had on me when I saw it on stage. I just love that number and hope it transfers well to the film medium. I also hope they cast the Dreamgirls with voices similar to the original cast. As much as I love Audra McDonald she just didn't seem right to me in the concert recording.

Kringas
#2re: Dreamgirls movie - What things do you feel should not be changed?
Posted: 6/9/05 at 2:34am

I know a lot of people had complaints about Audra's voice for Deena, and I guess I can see their point to some degree. I do think, though, that the way she acted the role mitigates the fact that she doesn't have the "classical" R&B sound the role really calls for.

And I agree about Steppin'. It was one of the best numbers in the show when I saw it in Atlanta a few years ago.

I also hope (and I suspect they won't) that they keep the Act Two opening. It has such an energy to it that really thrills me. In a perfect world, they'd combine the original Act Two opening with the revised version. And, since I'm wishing for everything at this point, I hope they restore the press conference that used to immediately follow it.

But, seriously, I'll be one unhappy man if they screw around with "Heavy."

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#3re: Dreamgirls movie - What things do you feel should not be changed?
Posted: 6/9/05 at 5:30am

this is a great thread,
thanks for starting it.
i'm gonna get my brain going (i just got up and i'm heading to the gym)
i'll definitely come back to this...

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#4re: Dreamgirls movie - What things do you feel should not be changed?
Posted: 6/9/05 at 10:00am

Kringas...definitely feel the same here...saw your other post about the Michael Jackson kid in it making it too similar to the Supremes...HATE that idea.

If they mess with Heavy and It's all Over I will cry! I dont think "And I am Telling You" will be the same without the breakdown of the group.

Once again, tho...definitely going to trust Condon to do the right thing.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

Thetruth Profile Photo
Thetruth
#5re: Dreamgirls movie - What things do you feel should not be changed?
Posted: 6/9/05 at 12:48pm

I agree about the Act 2 opening. It needs to be more similar to Boston try out where they included more of the songs from the show. They should mix it with the Dreamgirls medley that the the touring casts used to do on talk shows. It kinda made it seem like the Dreams had recorded and released "Move" and "Family" during the 7 year break between the acts.

I want that press confrence back in too! I just want to hear Lorell sing "Oh, honey please. Now that's not question to ask a girl. You know I do have my pride."

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#6re: Dreamgirls movie - What things do you feel should not be changed?
Posted: 6/9/05 at 12:55pm

Well, I'm sure the film will have more spoken dialogue and less singing then the play. Condon is a fine director, and I trust him with the material a lot more then say Chris Columbus with Rent or Joel Schumacher with Phantom.

Though the musical has a lot of die hard fans, DREAMGIRLS was not a flawless piece of musical theatre. There is room for the project to grow,expand and improve. The fact that Condon is working with the original writing team on the changes is definitely a good sign.

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#7re: Dreamgirls movie - What things do you feel should not be changed?
Posted: 6/9/05 at 12:59pm

Where do I start...

I really hope they keep ALL of "It's All Over/And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going/Love, Love Me, Baby/ Showbiz" intact

I really hope that they cast everyone appropriately and not try to boost the parts by giving Deena or Lorell "And I Am Telling You"

I hope they don't cut the score at all, but it seems by adding 4 new songs, that's already going to happen

I hope they give some OBC members cameos, how great would it be to see Jennifer, Sheryl and Lorretta singing "I Miss You Old Friend"?

Overall, I just really want it to stay true to the show I fell in love with.

Gothampc
#8re: Dreamgirls movie - What things do you feel should not be changed?
Posted: 6/9/05 at 1:01pm

I'm afraid that the fluidity of the show might be lost in the movie. The stage show is light and moves quickly. I think the movie will have to be very careful not to be cumbersome.

One of the problems they are going to have is with "And I'm Telling You". It's such an emotionally packed number. We as an audience have the intermission to rest and say "Wow, what did I just experience?" The movie has to be careful that it doesn't come across as over the top. We don't have that luxury of intermission in the movies to step away and have catharsis.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Updated On: 6/9/05 at 01:01 PM

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#9re: Dreamgirls movie - What things do you feel should not be changed?
Posted: 6/9/05 at 1:07pm

The treatment of "I am Telling You" is going to be interesting...

That number can't really be performed on film the way it is on stage. All those histrionics would just be absurd in the intimacy of a camera lens. And yet its the emotional center of the score.

Gothampc
#10re: Dreamgirls movie - What things do you feel should not be changed?
Posted: 6/9/05 at 1:23pm

"And yet its the emotional center of the score."

If they have a superb actress, they should take a cue from Judy Garland in "A Star is Born". A single camera shot of Effie in the dressing room that never blinks and never moves from the actress.

I shudder to think what it will be like if they make the mistake of flashbacks ala "Evita" and "A Chorus Line". Here's Effie walking in the park, and here she is the first day she realizes she's in love with Curtis, and here is 10 minutes of them in bed together.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Updated On: 6/9/05 at 01:23 PM

GhettoBway Profile Photo
GhettoBway
#11re: Dreamgirls movie - What things do you feel should not be changed?
Posted: 6/9/05 at 2:43pm

well this has to do with things i would like to see.

I would like to see more songs with the original dreams maybe one more with Effie as the lead.

I would like to know who is writing these new songs seeing how Tom Eyen has passed or are they going to use songs that were cut out

oooo remember "its gonna be my time"???

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#12re: Dreamgirls movie - What things do you feel should not be changed?
Posted: 6/9/05 at 3:02pm

I really wish the movie wouldn't happen. I'd rather people experience a first rate revival recreating Bennett's original production.

Thetruth Profile Photo
Thetruth
#13re: Dreamgirls movie - What things do you feel should not be changed?
Posted: 6/9/05 at 3:05pm

Well, I assume the Jacko clone and Effie's daugther will have songs.

I didn't really like "It's gonna be my time." I can see why they cut it. I just want Lorell to sing more.

dreamboy2004
#14re: Dreamgirls movie - What things do you feel should not be changed?
Posted: 6/9/05 at 4:03pm

They can't touch the following songs that are dear to my heart and these songs are Heavy, It's All Over and the Press Conference. I get chills everytime I hear Deena say "Wonderful,what can I say but wonderful" Not too mention they better not lay a hand on The Opening of The Second Act Medley. A part I can see them cutting but I really wishe they wouldn't is The Vouge Sequnce. I hope they just do more with Michelle. The musical left her character so under developed, sometimes I would forget she's even there.

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#15re: Dreamgirls movie - What things do you feel should not be changed?
Posted: 6/9/05 at 5:43pm

Okay I've thought about this one.

I'm not paying much mind to the following rumours since they're coming from unreliable sources:
(a) The Dreams originating from Detroit
(b) That 10 year old Michael Jackson-like character

I hope they don't change the following numbers:

"Stepping To The Bad Side" - unless of course they're going to just lengthen it.

"Dreamgirls" - the title number

"Act II Medley" - like other posters have stated it would be great if they incorporated elements from the original and revised versions.

I'm hoping they don't cut out "I Want You Baby" as performed by Jimmy and the Girls, it's a short song but an effective one.

I'm certain Condon is not going to touch "Heavy", "It's All Over" and "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going" those three are very important pieces. They propel the story. He may have big plans for those numbers.

I'm interested in how they plan on staging "One Night Only"...that's going to be interesting.

The fluidity of the show won;t be lost in the movie. "Dreamgirls" had a very cinematic staging to begin with, it lends itself very easily to this medium. It will only enhance it.
Updated On: 6/9/05 at 05:43 PM

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#16re: Dreamgirls movie - What things do you feel should not be changed?
Posted: 6/9/05 at 5:53pm

Detroit is true.

I trust Condon. Look how he adapted 'Chicago' from stage to screen. BRILLIANT!! In fact, I enjoyed the film version better than the stage.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#17re: Dreamgirls movie - What things do you feel should not be changed?
Posted: 6/9/05 at 6:01pm

"Detroit is true"

...says who?

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#18re: Dreamgirls movie - What things do you feel should not be changed?
Posted: 6/9/05 at 6:02pm

Sorry Capn but too much sh!t is posted on the 'net. When i read or hear it from a reliable source I will give it merit, until then I won't.

dreamboy2004
#19re: Dreamgirls movie - What things do you feel should not be changed?
Posted: 6/9/05 at 6:16pm

Marquise I want to know why do you wonder about the staging of "one night only" Also I have never seen the original broadway production or any production of Dreamgirls for that matter. You see I'm only nineteen but I've come to love Dreamgirls through hearing the "controversy" with Diana Ross So I was just wondering exactly how the original Opening of The Second Act went. I know that it was a press confernce and Deena made the comment about Diana Ross but was the original better than the revised version we hear on the Dreamgirls Concert? I'm asking you Marquise because you seem to know alot about Dreamgirls.

Thetruth Profile Photo
Thetruth
#20re: Dreamgirls movie - What things do you feel should not be changed?
Posted: 6/9/05 at 6:24pm

We probably wont have much verification of the validity of any of these rumors until way down the line, but it is fun to speculate.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#21re: Dreamgirls movie - What things do you feel should not be changed?
Posted: 6/9/05 at 6:38pm

Marquise, as I've mentioned in another thread, I won't reveal my sources.

Trust me or not - it's true, and you shall see. But I respect your caution. True, too much "sh!t" is posted on the Net.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Ronlopez
#22re: Dreamgirls movie - What things do you feel should not be changed?
Posted: 6/9/05 at 8:07pm

I want I am telling you to be on point. I am scared of the people they have cast except for Beyonce. I think she can play her role.

Elizadoolittle6
#23re: Dreamgirls movie - What things do you feel should not be changed?
Posted: 6/9/05 at 8:40pm

Get rid of BEYONCE!!!! She cannot sing. GAG

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#24re: Dreamgirls movie - What things do you feel should not be changed?
Posted: 6/9/05 at 10:03pm

hey u! swung your @ss on outta here! beyoncé is it! get over it, mmmmmkay?

anyway...to answer some of dreamboy2004's questions.

as far as my concern on the "one night only" number it's a very theatrical number.

it starts off with "effie" singing her rendition and then segues into the version sung by "deena and the dreams" but mid-way into the song each "dream": "deena", "michelle" and "lorell" start singing what is on their mind while they are performing the song on stage. it's letting the audience in on each of their thoughts.

i'm thinking for the movie they may just do this as voice overs. they'll show the group come out and sing the song and midway cut to each girl as we hear their thoughts as a voice over instead of actually showing them singing it out.

i vaguely remember the original opening to the second act. i recall it being a medley of their hits and then at the end there's this big press conference with all sorts of questions being asked which was basically done to get the audience up to speed on what has transpired in the years in between Acts I and II.

the second version of the second act i recall is the group singing a very vegasy version of "dreamgirls" and it basically showcases "deena" and all the male dancers. it reminded me very much of marilyn monroe's "diamonds are a girl's best friend" number from "gentlemen prefer blondes"...and it ends differently.

Videos