News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Why Aren't These Shows Revived?

Unmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
#0Why Aren't These Shows Revived?
Posted: 6/13/05 at 6:28pm

We see the same shows revived over and over again why not some other worthy ones like these:

Carnival!
City of Angels
Destry Rides Again
Do RE Mi
Dreamgirls
Funny Girl
Gentleman Prefer Blondes
Grand Hotel
Kiss of The Spider Woman
Lil Abner
MAME
The Pajama Game
Promises, Promises

Some GREAT shows....they could have some good casts

Facebook...ME !!!

jasobres
#1re: Why Aren't These Shows Revived?
Posted: 6/13/05 at 6:30pm

Some of the shows have been revived once or twice. I believe half of the shows in the list got an ENCORES! mounting.

"Ev'ry-buddy wants ta get into de act!" - Jimmy Durante "Breathe from your hoo-hoo." -Kristin Chenoweth

Chip1012 Profile Photo
Chip1012
#2re: Why Aren't These Shows Revived?
Posted: 6/13/05 at 6:31pm

revivals in general aren't making money.

GovernorSlaton Profile Photo
GovernorSlaton
#3re: Why Aren't These Shows Revived?
Posted: 6/13/05 at 6:38pm

Pajama Game is being revived this season.

gavrochegirl
#4re: Why Aren't These Shows Revived?
Posted: 6/13/05 at 6:42pm

I want tick..tick..BOOM! to be revived...

What the puck?!

hellacoolmichael
#5re: Why Aren't These Shows Revived?
Posted: 6/13/05 at 6:49pm

Tick...Tick...Boom! was just on broadway a few years ago.

MargoChanning
#6re: Why Aren't These Shows Revived?
Posted: 6/13/05 at 6:49pm

FUNNY GIRL is impossible to cast -- you need a 20-something, not terribly attractive actress (preferably Jewish) with a gift for physical and verbal comedy, a multi-octave voice and who is also a big enough "NAME" to head $8 to 10 million revival. Not a lot of names spring to mind.

MAME should be back sometime in the next two or three seasons according to Jerry Herman.

There have been talks of DREAMGIRLS revival for years, but they're probably on hold now until sometime after the film comes out. Perhaps Bob Avian will helm it if his A CHORUS LINE revival is well-received in 2006 (while he wasn't the official co-choreographer of DREAMGIRLS with Bennett -- the late Michael Peters was -- he was there for every moment of the rehearsals and knows the show well).

PAJAMA GAME may be back this season or next (Kathleen Marshall is signed to direct and choreograph)

Isn't it a little soon for CITY OF ANGELS, KISS OF THE SPIDERWOMAN and GRAND HOTEL? Their original productions were all less than 15 years ago.

I can't imagine that DO RE MI, CARNIVAL or DESTRY RIDES AGAIN could ever be successfully revived (they were only modest hits the first time around).

No one of the last generation or two knows anything about LIL ABNER at this point and I can't imagine it would find much of a Broadway audience.

I guess GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES might work as a vehicle for a couple of major stars.

PROMISES PROMISES is terrific, but I wonder if it would come off as dated at this point.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Hairspraydoll Profile Photo
Hairspraydoll
#7re: Why Aren't These Shows Revived?
Posted: 6/13/05 at 8:13pm

When was the last time if ever that West SIde Story got revived?

Be the change you want in the world....

MargoChanning
#8re: Why Aren't These Shows Revived?
Posted: 6/13/05 at 8:15pm

1980 (featuring Debbie Allen who received a Tony nomination as Anita).

Last I heard, WEST SIDE STORY is supposed to be coming back in 2007 for a 50th anniversary production under the direction of Jerry Mitchell (who plans on re-creating the original Robbins' choreography)

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Hairspraydoll Profile Photo
Hairspraydoll
#9re: Why Aren't These Shows Revived?
Posted: 6/13/05 at 8:17pm

Thank you MargoChanning.

How come some shows get revived really quickly like Into the Woods, and others don't?

Be the change you want in the world....

MargoChanning
#10re: Why Aren't These Shows Revived?
Posted: 6/13/05 at 8:19pm

Tick...Tick....BOOM! played for about 6 months OFF-Broadway about 3 years ago. It never made it to Broadway.

BroadwayGirlWicked Profile Photo
BroadwayGirlWicked
#11re: Why Aren't These Shows Revived?
Posted: 6/13/05 at 8:19pm

is city or Angels like the movie?

_CORRIE_--Most annoying member of 2005- AVATAR- Credit: copyright GregoryJbara.com-- DONT PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THAT NOT EVERYONE USES PUNCTUATION?

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#12re: Why Aren't These Shows Revived?
Posted: 6/13/05 at 8:20pm

"FUNNY GIRL is impossible to cast -- you need a 20-something, not terribly attractive actress (preferably Jewish) with a gift for physical and verbal comedy, a multi-octave voice and who is also a big enough "NAME" to head $8 to 10 million revival. Not a lot of names spring to mind."

<--Clarkson mentioned in an interview back in December she was talking about doing it. With whom, I don't know. Those plans are on hold now, as she is involved with tours and such, but she has made it clear that she wants to do Broadway, and that there has been discussion about that show.

Updated On: 6/13/05 at 08:20 PM

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#13re: Why Aren't These Shows Revived?
Posted: 6/13/05 at 10:17pm

I'd love to see Promises, Promises revived and designed in a somewhat "heightened" version of how the late 60's looked.

Dollypop
#14re: Why Aren't These Shows Revived?
Posted: 6/13/05 at 10:20pm

Has anyone thought of casting Melanie Griffith as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL? I bet she could pull it off!

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

MargoChanning
#15re: Why Aren't These Shows Revived?
Posted: 6/13/05 at 10:23pm

Well, "Promises, Promises" is in many ways a superior work to "Sweet Charity," so I suppose a first rate, well-considered, intelligently directed and cast revival might very well be successful.

And yes, there was a well-reviewed production of GRAND HOTEL at the Donmar Warehouse this past Fall.

Updated On: 6/13/05 at 10:23 PM

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#16re: Why Aren't These Shows Revived?
Posted: 6/13/05 at 10:25pm

well what about On the Twentieth Century?

although ive heard it would be too expensive

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#17re: Why Aren't These Shows Revived?
Posted: 6/13/05 at 10:26pm

What Promises, Promises needs to do (Sweet Charity's mistake) is NOT update it's book. They need to keep it a period piece. That's the only way it can truly work again. It would be great if it was revived. It has the ultimate 60's feel and sound and could really be great.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#18re: Why Aren't These Shows Revived?
Posted: 6/13/05 at 10:27pm

I'm in line for a ticket now!

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#19re: Why Aren't These Shows Revived?
Posted: 6/13/05 at 10:29pm

And in terms of Carnival!- There were plans to do a revival with the same Encores! cast I believe, but that never came through. They would need a "name" or two in order to really sell this show. As Margo said, it was a modest success during it's original run. But it is such a wonderful show that I would hate to see it on the shelf forever.

Updated On: 6/13/05 at 10:29 PM

MargoChanning
#20re: Why Aren't These Shows Revived?
Posted: 6/13/05 at 10:30pm

MANY have been anxious to see a full-fledged revival of ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY on Broadway for a while now.

I think a revival PROMISES PROMISES could easily be at least as successful as the last revival of HOW TO SUCCEED with the right people involved.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#21re: Why Aren't These Shows Revived?
Posted: 6/13/05 at 10:31pm

The only real successful revivals I can think of were Chicago, 42nd Street, and Cabaret - without thinking too hard.

Revivals are produced today with the wrong intentions.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

MargoChanning
#22re: Why Aren't These Shows Revived?
Posted: 6/13/05 at 10:39pm

According to Variety, the recent revival of 42nd STREET still failed to recoup its investment, despite a long run.

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#23re: Why Aren't These Shows Revived?
Posted: 6/13/05 at 10:45pm

It wasn't exactly selling out the Ford center (now Hilton Theatre) during it's run. That's pretty understandable.

Cages or Wings
#24re: Why Aren't These Shows Revived?
Posted: 6/13/05 at 10:56pm

Just curious, but is the oft-rumored, yet never officially announced Pippin revival ever going to happen, and if so how soon is it to be expected?
Updated On: 6/13/05 at 10:56 PM

Videos