pixeltracker

Effie White -- Does She Have To Be "Heavy?"- Page 8

Effie White -- Does She Have To Be "Heavy?"

seaweedjstubbs Profile Photo
seaweedjstubbs
#175re: Effie White -- Does She Have To Be 'Heavy?'
Posted: 5/12/20 at 4:11pm

Not every pregnant woman looks exactly the same. Heck, they made an entire TV show about women who didn’t know they were pregnant! I don’t think it’s too far out of the realm of possibility that she’d been gaining weight both from the mental abuse Curtis put her through, and being in the early stages of pregnancy. Plenty of women get asked “When are you due?” when they’re not pregnant, so why not the other way around?

DREAMGIRLS may not be a perfect show, but I honestly don’t get attacking the book. No, it’s not high art, but it’s a pretty solid story in my opinion. I do think the film improved on a few things, mainly Jimmy’s story, although I understand why the cast of the Broadway musical objected to Jimmy dying. They wanted the show to be an overall positive representation of black culture, and having a character addicted to drugs and ultimately dying would’ve hampered that. Still, I think his death adds a bit of edge that the stage version is missing.

Malinda5000
#176re: Effie White -- Does She Have To Be 'Heavy?'
Posted: 5/12/20 at 8:22pm

Sorry Margo. Julia McGirt was NOT tall and thin during her run as Effie. She was not as big as Jennifer became, but she was not thin nor tall. She was curvy let's say but far from thin. Yes her voice was one of a kind and in MY opinion she was a better Effie than Jennifer. She would hold her notes during AIATY especially on the "you're gonna love meeeeeeeeeeeee". The audience would go nuts. I was an usher back in the day at several theatre's so I saw the Entire run of Dreamgirls OBC. Ms. McGirt or Julia Nixon nowadays was in Caroline or Change a few years back...unfortunate for me I did not see her in it.

Updated On: 5/12/20 at 08:22 PM

rattleNwoolypenguin
#177re: Effie White -- Does She Have To Be 'Heavy?'
Posted: 5/12/20 at 9:41pm

joevitus said: "Ugh, stop rewriting the book to The Wiz. The original isn't great, but every re-write has been worse (and the live t.v. version was dreadful)."

Yeah I agree.

at the end of the day it’s just the Wizard of Oz. It’s gonna be

what it is. And any time they try to make it more “hip” just makes it less hip.

I feel like The Wiz thrives best when it has a Spring Awakening approach. The only modern element is the songs and everything else stays true to the original story

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#178re: Effie White -- Does She Have To Be 'Heavy?'
Posted: 5/12/20 at 9:45pm

re: Effie White -- Does She Have To Be 'Heavy?'

This should be Julia McGirt when she replaced Jennifer, for reference

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#179re: Effie White -- Does She Have To Be 'Heavy?'
Posted: 5/12/20 at 9:51pm

I just want to know who I saw in June 1983!  I have no playbill....

Malinda5000
#180re: Effie White -- Does She Have To Be 'Heavy?'
Posted: 5/13/20 at 12:05am

imeldasturn said: "re: Effie White -- Does She Have To Be 'Heavy?'

This should be Julia McGirt when she replaced Jennifer, for reference
"

Yup.   That's Julia McGirt. 

Malinda5000
#181re: Effie White -- Does She Have To Be 'Heavy?'
Posted: 5/13/20 at 12:07am

ggersten said: "I just want to know who I saw in June 1983! I have no playbill...."

You saw the God-awful Vanessa Townsell. Holliday's first replacement. 

Updated On: 5/13/20 at 12:07 AM

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#182re: Effie White -- Does She Have To Be 'Heavy?'
Posted: 5/13/20 at 1:46am

I like this tread, but in Frank Rich's opening night review, he not only mentions the character is fat, but he describes Holiday as "a young woman with a broad face and an ample body" (emphasis mine). At the time of the Tony's (admittedly half a year later) she was big.

Just not sure, for all the great information in the OP, that one can say when Holiday stared out in the role, she wasn't heavy.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#183re: Effie White -- Does She Have To Be 'Heavy?'
Posted: 5/13/20 at 2:30am

rattleNwoolypenguin said: "joevitus said: "Ugh, stop rewriting the book to The Wiz. The original isn't great, but every re-write has been worse (and the live t.v. version was dreadful)."

Yeah I agree.

at the end of the day it’s just the Wizardof Oz. It’s gonna be

what it is. And any time they try to make it more “hip” just makes it less hip.

I feel like The Wiz thrives best when it has a Spring Awakening approach. The only modern element is the songs and everything else stays true to the original story
"

I'm not sure if I think Geoffrey Holder's Haitian-style Oz is "true to the original story" and William F. Brown's book, while not "hip" was pretending to be (in the style of a lot of 70's black sitcoms). But it worked, and the fact that revivals keep failing with new books suggest they should stick with what they had.

I admit, I'm a traditionalist: I like to see shows staged as they were originally staged. 

Mostly I hope at some point we get a new cast recording, with the songs left off of the original: The Emerald City Ballet (which I seem to remember was called "Pst...," though Wikipedia doesn't list it as so), Funky Monkeys, Who Do You Think You Are?, Dorothy's version of If You Believe, and Glinda's A Rested Body is A Rested Mind.

tomwsjr
#184re: Effie White -- Does She Have To Be 'Heavy?'
Posted: 5/13/20 at 5:56am

Does anyone have memories of Sheila Ellis as Effie? She was Jennifer’s original understudy and went on often.

tmdonahue
#185re: Effie White -- Does She Have To Be 'Heavy?'
Posted: 5/13/20 at 8:37am

I was distantly acquainted  with Brenda Pressley who understudied Jennifer Holiday.  I remember (or think I do...I'm getting old.) Brenda wore a fat suit in the first act and when she removed her overcoat while singing "I Am Changing," she was Brenda's slim self.  (I Am Changing---get it?)

This may not be true.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#186re: Effie White -- Does She Have To Be 'Heavy?'
Posted: 5/13/20 at 3:52pm

tomwsjr said: "Does anyone have memories of Sheila Ellis as Effie? She was Jennifer’s original understudy and went on often."

I saw the show the day after Jennifer left. Would she have been on? If so, that is who I saw.

Just give the world Love.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#187re: Effie White -- Does She Have To Be 'Heavy?'
Posted: 5/13/20 at 4:12pm

I think I remember reading(maybe it was this thread, but I’m not interested in reading all 185 responses) Patina Miller was in the top 3 choices to play Effie in the film. It eventually went to Jennifer Hudson, of course. Curious who the third person was and whether if she was bigger or not.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement
Updated On: 5/13/20 at 04:12 PM

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#188re: Effie White -- Does She Have To Be 'Heavy?'
Posted: 5/13/20 at 7:20pm

Malinda5000 said: "Sorry Margo. Julia McGirt was NOT tall and thin during her run as Effie. She was not as big as Jennifer became, but she was not thin nor tall. She was curvy let's say but far from thin. Yes her voice was one of a kind and in MY opinion she was a better Effie than Jennifer. She would hold her notes during AIATY especially on the "you're gonna love meeeeeeeeeeeee". The audience would go nuts. I was an usher back in the day at several theatre's so I saw the Entire run of Dreamgirls OBC. Ms. McGirt or Julia Nixon nowadays was in Caroline or Change a few years back...unfortunate for me I did not see her in it."

I believe Margo is no longer with us. That being said it was really great reading one his posts. He was a cherished member of this forum and he is dearly missed by those who were fortunate enough to have interacted with him here and who knew him personally outside of this forum. 

Updated On: 5/13/20 at 07:20 PM

latitudex1 Profile Photo
latitudex1
#189re: Effie White -- Does She Have To Be 'Heavy?'
Posted: 5/13/20 at 7:37pm

Call_me_jorge said: "I think I remember reading(maybe it was this thread, but I’m not interested in reading all 185 responses) Patina Miller was in the top 3 choices to play Effie in the film. It eventually went to Jennifer Hudson, of course. Curious who the third person was and whether ifshe was bigger or not."

Raven Symone has said she was considered, but I don't know if she was in the top 3.

Malinda5000
#190re: Effie White -- Does She Have To Be 'Heavy?'
Posted: 5/13/20 at 7:41pm

tomwsjr said: "Does anyone have memories of Sheila Ellis as Effie? She was Jennifer’s original understudy and went on often. 

Yes. I saw Sheila Ellis go on for Jennifer a LOT and she was...well...so so. Her rendition of AIATY would still get rousing applause because she had some strong vocals and she would do these amazing riffs but that's about it.  She did sing a great "I Am Changing" though. In her defense she didn't have to stop the show with that number.  Of course,  when she would go on as Effie, the show was new and a MAJOR hit and Jennifer Holliday was the Toast of Broadway, so I think Sheila tried too hard to not disappoint. The audience used to be pissed when it was announced that Holliday was absent so  the pressure was on Sheila but she did her thing....just so so.  It was VERY hard to be an understudy for Jennifer's Effie.

Updated On: 5/13/20 at 07:41 PM