Yeston or ALW?

luvliza89 Profile Photo
luvliza89
#0Yeston or ALW?
Posted: 7/12/05 at 10:37pm

Which version of Phantom do you prefer?

I have both recordings and find myself listening to Yeston's version more and more. "Home" is such a beautiful song. I do prefer the plot in ALW version more though.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#1re: Yeston or ALW?
Posted: 7/12/05 at 10:40pm

Yeston and Kopit's is quite beautiful.

AnotherDay46 Profile Photo
AnotherDay46
#2re: Yeston or ALW?
Posted: 7/12/05 at 10:43pm

I do have to say I love ALW's The Phantom of the Opera, it's one of my favorite shows ^__^

Yeston's is alright, I just am so attached to ALW's I can't say I like it too much though.

jo
#3re: Yeston or ALW?
Posted: 7/12/05 at 11:26pm

I have actually seen both productions - Yestons' Phantom was brought here to Manila.

Lloyd-Webber's PHANTOM wins it hands down for me - whether it is the musical score or the staging.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#4re: Yeston or ALW?
Posted: 7/12/05 at 11:31pm

As a show, I like ALW's better, but Yeston's score has some glorious moments.

PHANTOM aside, Yeston is a totally better composer than webber.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#5re: Yeston or ALW?
Posted: 7/12/05 at 11:34pm

On stage, ALW's is more spectacular, but on CD Yeston's has, for me, prettier music. I LOVE "Home," "You Are Music," "My True Love" and "You Are My Own"

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

JBSinger
#6re: Yeston or ALW?
Posted: 7/13/05 at 3:34pm

As much as I like Yeston, his Phantom will always be the ugly stepsister of ALW's. ALW's has a gorgeous design & staging and a more interesting score/plot. Yeston's has some good musical moments (mentioned earlier in the thread) but its parts don't quite measure up to the majesty of ALWs.

ChiChi Profile Photo
ChiChi
#7re: Yeston or ALW?
Posted: 7/13/05 at 3:42pm

Though his Phantom is not my favorite, I LOVE Maury Yeston's work.

Gypsy - Betty Buckley http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUN5XoB5vFs&feature=youtu.be

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#8re: Yeston or ALW?
Posted: 7/13/05 at 3:42pm

I personally do not care for either one.

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

umgeoboy Profile Photo
umgeoboy
#9re: Yeston or ALW?
Posted: 7/13/05 at 3:47pm

Yeston without a question

"Judy Garland, Jimmy Dean, You tragedy Queen" ~ Taboo

"Watching a frat boy realize just what he put his d!ck in...ex's getting std's...schadenfruede" ~ Ave Q

"when dangers near, exploit their fear" ~ Reefer Madness the Musical

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#10re: Yeston or ALW?
Posted: 7/13/05 at 3:49pm

how many times are we gonna do this?

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#11re: Yeston or ALW?
Posted: 7/13/05 at 3:51pm

I did one of the very first regional productions of the Yeston Phantom back in the early 90s and found it to be a wonderful experience. The show is SO much better written than the Lloyd Webber version. The story of how Erik became the phantom is played out so that the audience isn't left wondering how he got that way, and the characters are much more fleshed out and appealing, except for Phillipe because he seems to be a whiner, and his only song in the show sounds as though it was written by Jerry Herman and doesn't fit the style of the rest of the music. Carlotta, if played right, can be a VERY funny role. We had an excellent Carlotta and she never failed to make me laugh each night. And she gets an amazing Diva song called "This Place is Mine"..which any good comedic actress would want to sing. Overall, I think Yeston's version should be on Broadway, and not that dreck by Lloyd Webber.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

phantom_tenor Profile Photo
phantom_tenor
#12re: Yeston or ALW?
Posted: 7/13/05 at 9:25pm

I like the phantom as more of a mystery. I thought how we knew the phantom's exact origins, etc, in the Yeston one was kind of dumb.

joeybiltmore1
#13re: Yeston or ALW?
Posted: 7/13/05 at 11:16pm

Yeston's

BertCCRI2 Profile Photo
BertCCRI2
#14re: Yeston or ALW?
Posted: 7/13/05 at 11:25pm

redhotinnyc2: I agree with your analysis completely.

Videos