pixeltracker

I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:- Page 3

I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:

DemonBarberofBroadway Profile Photo
DemonBarberofBroadway
#50re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/19/05 at 10:37am

Pfffft.. closet theater geek. I listen to showtunes with pride. My friends may make fun of me at times, but then later admit their odd attraction to certain shows. The other day one of my friends who is a jock asked me if he could listen to Man on La Mancha on my iPod. All my friends know who Stephen Sondheim is and that he is God. I think of my time spent with them as a teaching experience.

Damn I'm a dork.

"I was good at everything in high school...except gym" -William Finn Are you in the TFT cult?

TheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
#51re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/19/05 at 10:38am

Ah Ha. And see, I purposely play showtunes when others are in the car with me in the hopes that they will turn into theatre-loving-geeks.

"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~

DemonBarberofBroadway
#52re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/19/05 at 10:46am

A couple days ago one of my friends asked if she could listen to a showtune, I suppose because she was curious and unaware. I replied "what kind of showtune?" and she looked at me like I was crazy. i then went into a long explanation of how you have your pop showtunes inspired mostly by hair (which went on to inspire rent), then you have your generic rodgers and hammerstein, j kern, cole porter showtunes normally what people think of, then you have your operatic showtunes of the sondheim variety, etc.

see, now she is much more educated. and bewildered. but that's just a side effect.

"I was good at everything in high school...except gym" -William Finn Are you in the TFT cult?

Adam Chris Profile Photo
Adam Chris
#53re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/19/05 at 10:59am

haha. my friends hate showtunes so that is why i dont play it around them...although, once in a while i'm able to convience 1 or 2 to see a show with me...but that doesn't happen very often.

DemonBarberofBroadway
#54re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/19/05 at 11:05am

my friends used to hate showtunes..until i brainwashed them.

ashley0139
#55re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/19/05 at 12:07pm

I play showtunes in the car, my room, etc on purpose in the hopes of educating those around me. Most of them hate it.

And now every day my summer camp kids ask to listen to Popular (and Wicked or Hairspray). Though that wasn't me that was my coworker with the Wicked thing. I got them hooked on Welcome to the 60s.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife
Updated On: 7/19/05 at 12:07 PM

broadway betty Profile Photo
broadway betty
#56re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/19/05 at 12:11pm

WickedGeek-I totally think about the curtain going up when I look at the time, especially on Sunday mats at 3.

"I'm the STAR!"--Daniel Reichard during Glory Daze sound check

RustyJusty830 Profile Photo
RustyJusty830
#57re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/19/05 at 3:18pm

Besides the fact that my life is surrounded by theatre and that I can never escape it and never want to:

I ALWAYS pull the "singing a showtune to someone when a word/phrase they have said reminds me of a song". Example-
Friend:"Justin, I had this dream last night..."
Me: "I had a dream- a wonderful dream Papa...and all that I need is Eighty Eight bucks Papa..."

The majority of my online inbox consists of Broadway discounts, theatre updates, and special theatrical event invites.

I see at least one show (Broadway, Off Broadway, ect.) a week. Sometimes more...

I am constantly thinking of ways to make extra money for the above- because I would not want to spend my cash any other way.

Several Broadway performers know me by name and could have a five minute conversation with you about me if you mentioned my name.

I can perform for you a scary amount of original choreography perfectly.

And Finally, I spend my entire year and my summer training in Musical Theatre hoping that someday I will grace the stages of BROADWAY!

"I need to know that someone out there cares...Are you there?"

#58re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/19/05 at 4:06pm

Skipped school to see Brooklyn,

I look at the clock and know that HAIRSPRAY, WICKED, ALL SHOOK UP matinees are pretty much over by now...

Skipped school to go see Cheno at Cargenie Hall.

Amaze other theater people (non-Bww.comers) with who I've met from shows when they see my pics of me and stars on MYSPACE.com

Make up songs for Broadway shows from my head.

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#59re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/19/05 at 6:28pm

I would call myself a bit of a theater snob. I qualify as a geek because I own over 80 cast recordings and I'm familiar with a wide range of shows.

BeingAlive Profile Photo
BeingAlive
#60re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/19/05 at 6:32pm

I have 42 cast albums. I think the fact that I counted them is enough.
I own a book rating cast recordings. And I have a number of Tony broadcasts taped.

Judy, Liza, Barbara, Bette, these are names I shant forget.

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#61re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/19/05 at 6:36pm

i';m slowly getting friends into showtunes... all my elementary school buds are now QTips and ive Spelling Bee-ified my Xanga and i got a girl obsessed... its odd... but im a geek because i think Everything Was Possible is the greatest book EVER written and because i own every single script of a sondheim show and because i used my Bar Mitzvah money to go to 4 shows in two days in NYC and because because because... i am.

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

Dreamcatcher Profile Photo
Dreamcatcher
#62re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/19/05 at 10:00pm

Because I spend waaaay too much time on this board then I should, I practically live at my local theatre (no seriously, I'm there all day, 6 or 7 days a week and I'm only 16), If I had the money to do so I could spend hours and hours on Amazon buying cast recordings I wish to own, and lastly and probably most generically, I love theatre and Broadway with a passion and if I lived near NYC (and had money) I'd go see shows every day. :-P I know, not the most qualifying answers I guess compared to some but its what I got and I think it qualifies....

And I don't know if this counts but I've gotten loads of friends who really dislike theatre into at least one musical (mind they almost smacked me from annoyance as well but it was worth it :-P).

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

pab Profile Photo
pab
#63re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/22/05 at 2:48pm

I have purchased an airline ticket to fly to New York next week, I'm paying for five nights in a hotel and I've paid (online) to see seven Broadway shows (no discounted tickets except for RENT).

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

SamIAm Profile Photo
SamIAm
#64re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/22/05 at 2:57pm

See, Tag, I don't consider your example an example of a 'theater geek'. That's just an example of someone who has nothing to do but cruise this site and also lacks courtesy.

Theater geeks to me are the same as any kind of geeks...they are really into it and they know quite a bit about it. Perhaps not enough to qualify as an expert but certainly they can talk about it long enough to get through a cocktail party or a long cab ride!

"Life is a lesson in humility"

tagiunagi
#65re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/22/05 at 3:27pm

Do you not approve of my def of geek or snob? A geek sees shows. A snob looks down on those who don't see as much shows as the snob sees.

Question: Will Esparza win for The Homecoming? BobbyBubby: I hope so. If only for the mental health of many people on this board.

LuvBroadwayHugs
#66re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/22/05 at 4:27pm

Hmm. Let's see if I have some reasons not already listed by fellow geeks. Oh! One way is that the only way I know how to get through the city is due to placement of theaters. Also, I have playbill binders and once a bill is in there it is never to touch air again...

"Mrrraaaawwww!" ♥

TheaterBaby
#67re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/22/05 at 4:38pm

I think a theatre snob would be one who looks down upon tourists and people who:
>Do not dress appropriately
>Sing along (out loud)
>Say things like, "Hey! That's that Gwen Stefani song" when seeing Fiddler On the Roof
>Attack cast memebers at the stage door and demand an autograph even though they have no idea who anyone played in the production they JUST SAW!
>Pronounce the actors' names wrong and give wrong information as to other work of an actor

re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because: But maybe that's just me who gets annoyed and snobbish.

"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~

BroadwayBaby6 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby6
#68re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/22/05 at 4:44pm

I'm a theatre QUEEN because I flew to London to see Billy Elliot, flew to Chicago to see "Finishing the Picture", flew to NY to see "Spamalot", went to La Jolla to see "DRS" and will be flying to SF for Lestat.

"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"

Garland Grrrl Profile Photo
Garland Grrrl
#69re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/22/05 at 4:44pm

because whenever i post on this site i check to see if i am still an "understudy" or if i've graduated to "chorus member" or whatever. that is such a pocket pencil protecter thing to do. also--i get teary when i see marian seldes on the subway.

Mind is Mantra.
Updated On: 7/22/05 at 04:44 PM

TheaterBaby
#70re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/22/05 at 4:46pm

lol How about those of us who can walk through the streets of New York City and spot/name random chorus memebers or theatre people who walk past them.

LuvBroadwayHugs
#71re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/22/05 at 5:00pm

^ I did that recently! I was walking down the street and two of the dancers from Chicago (they weren't principals) we're coming out of a resturant and I was like hey! I saw you guys in Chicago in April! They were like wow...you're really observant. We've walked out of the stage door and people don't know if we're in the show or not and you're calling us out 4 months later. And it was very cool =D

"Mrrraaaawwww!" ♥

Hairspraydoll Profile Photo
Hairspraydoll
#72re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/22/05 at 5:25pm

I am a theatre geek because I am a high school theatre teacher that doesn't remember where her home is because I live at school with teenagers who love theatre for my only friends. My husband has put out a missing persons ad for me.

Be the change you want in the world....

iluvtheatertrash
#73re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/22/05 at 5:32pm

I've been in over 40 productions in 10 years and seen over 100 (Broadway, off-Broadway, regional) in 10 years as well.

I also own over 400 cast recordings, not including duplicates of some of my favorites that I've warped from listening to so often.

I just started collecting scripts about a year ago and currently have 126.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

#74re: I officially qualify as a theatre geek because:
Posted: 7/22/05 at 6:04pm

cuz i've been in 13 plays and musicals in the past 2 years, and my ipod is all cast recordings.
i'm also going to NY for three days just to see 6 on broadway shows.-my parents aren't too happy about it.

Videos