pixeltracker

Broadway Singers who Smoke......- Page 5

Broadway Singers who Smoke......

insomniak
#100Smokers
Posted: 8/3/05 at 12:38am

I've been following this thread and I think it's ridiculous, but it was worth the 'headdesk-ing' just to see MEF's list. *applauds*

Blow Out is my masoschistic guilty pleasure. I hate Jonathan, but he fascinates me. My feelings for Rosie are similar. And Lord knows that those smokers are just as bad as Satan, so put them on there twice! It's all their fault that hell is so firey!

hushpuppy Profile Photo
hushpuppy
#101Smokers
Posted: 8/3/05 at 12:49am

Ethel Merman smoked early in her career but, according to her autobiography, gave it up one year for Lent. More interesting is a story in Ralph Blumenthal's book 'Stork Club'. It seems the Merm was having an affair with Sherman Billingsley, the (married) owner of the Stork. One afternoon, they snuck out to Sherm's car for a little 'privacy' and, it seems, one of them dropped a lit cigarette and poor Ethel sat, bare-assed upon it, causing a rather painful burn. Smoking, as they say, can be hazardous to your health.

'Our whole family shouts. It comes from us livin' so close to the railroad tracks'

lesmisforever Profile Photo
lesmisforever
#102Smokers
Posted: 8/3/05 at 1:11am

Michael Ball does I believe

"I have a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!"

YouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
#103Smokers
Posted: 8/3/05 at 1:19am

As long as they don't smoke next to me at a restaurant, I really do not care. I personally hate cigarette smoke, but we all have our flaws and vices. Some are just more obvious than others. Me, I like my red wine and my strong coffee in the morning. If smoking does marginalize or damage the voice, well, then it their problem and not yours. As long as their behavior does not affect you, why should it matter. For goodness sakes, get out of folks bedrooms, bathrooms, and ash trays. If they are smoking next to you, then move or ask them to move. Otherwise, get over it.

phantom_tenor Profile Photo
phantom_tenor
#104Smokers
Posted: 8/3/05 at 4:14am

Michael Ball, how dare you wreck that glorious, if wobbly, voice!

#105Smokers
Posted: 2/23/06 at 4:22pm

love4cheno...this might sound stupid, but where exactly is that (or during what part of the movie did you see getting filmed?), and who is that?

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#106Smokers
Posted: 2/23/06 at 4:34pm

yea i agree that if Broadway Actors smoke---they smoke! big deal...its completely their business and not ours, but this should be a thread rather on the affects of smoking on your voice. Depsite all that, it is really an interesting thread!

MargoChanning
#107Smokers
Posted: 2/23/06 at 4:45pm

Smoking effects some voices more than others. Decades of heavy smoking can certainly darken the tone somewhat and for some singers cause them to lose range, but then there are singers like Sarah Vaughan, who still had one of the most extraordinarily beautiful instruments of the 20th century at the time of her death. While her timbre was a bit darker at the end (which was also in part due to the fact that she was in her mid 60s and voices typically get heavier as one ages), she still had three+ octaves of range and could still famously hold a note, perfectly on pitch with vibrato for 30 seconds (she actually did it once on a dare on a tv special in the 80s, shortly before her death -- 32 seconds I believe).

I don't know. While it's certainly not good for the voice or overall health, smoking effects different people in different ways (genetics play a huge role), so don't freak if you find out your favorite singer smokes. MANY of the greatest singers in history were smokers at one time or another (I have a theory that it comes from the fact that most singers are orally-fixated) and a surprising number of them kept their voices in tact for decades.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Esther2
#108Smokers
Posted: 2/23/06 at 4:56pm

Nicely Put Margo!!!!

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#109Smokers
Posted: 2/23/06 at 4:57pm

Um...get back to work...or at least checking on the figure skating results.

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

wickedangel
#110drinking
Posted: 4/7/06 at 6:17pm

Idina's very strict about drinking. She rarely does, and never does when she's in a show. She talks about that in an interview about "Ask The Dust"...I dont remember which one though.

wickedangel
#111smoking
Posted: 4/7/06 at 6:24pm

These people are role models for childen and for aspiring performers. Their actions DO affect people. It is also very uninspiring for people who will never have the incredible opportunities that these stars have been given. Many of us would die to be on broadway and to be blessed with an amazing voice, and would NEVER ruin that for ourselves by smoking. Smoking not only ruins your voice, but also can KILL you. My uncle died of lung cancer, and it is not an easy way to go. It is excruciatingly painful and he could have had more that 20 years left to his life. Instead, he is dead. His death could be preventable. Broadway stars are activists about AIDS awarness and preventions. Smoking kills just like AIDS does. Both issues are important, and both should be recognized. These stars actions DO have effects.

neddyfrank2
#112smoking
Posted: 4/7/06 at 8:12pm

Alene Robertson and Mackenzie Phillips (Miss Hannigan and Lily St. Regis from the National Tour of Annie) smoke.

Fabrizio2
#113smoking
Posted: 4/7/06 at 8:16pm

I know I sound like a mother, but smoking is really bad for you. It can kill you if you do it enough.

http://www.philipmorrisusa.com/en/home.asp
Updated On: 4/7/06 at 08:16 PM

smiles Profile Photo
smiles
#114smoking
Posted: 4/7/06 at 8:24pm

I heard that Anothny Rapp and Tracie Thoms were the only 2 cast members from the Movie RENT that didn't smoke.

#115smoking
Posted: 4/7/06 at 8:32pm

wickedangel, I hardly think that you can compare smoking to AIDS. Also, I think it's very hard to argue that these performers are somehow appointed as role models the moment they become famous. Sure, young children will look up to famous people regardless if those people want that or not, but on the other hand, people should not be forced to live their lives according to whether their behavior is appropriate or beneficial to their younger fans. Frankly, if a young girl says she's going to smoke because Idina Menzel smokes, there's no doubt in my mind that there were some other major contributing factors as well.

Smiles, when someone mentioned that Anthony Rapp supposedly smokes, Anthony himself posted on these boards saying that he and Tracie Thoms do not smoke. I don't believe he explicitly stated that the other main cast members do, but I think it's a very reasonable assumption.

insomniak
#116smoking
Posted: 4/7/06 at 8:34pm

"
Hitler
Smokers
Judas
Jonathan from "Blow Out"
Smokers (again)
Rosie O'Donnell"

But Jonathan has the redeeming quality of being hysterical. I love it when they show him with his therapist. The guy doesn't blink at all, like he's too shocked by Jonathan's ego to offer advice or too afraid of losing his paycheck by telling him that he's not always right.

<-faithful viewer of "Blowout" for the past three seasons.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#117smoking
Posted: 4/7/06 at 8:42pm

Frankly, if a young girl says she's going to smoke because Idina Menzel smokes, there's no doubt in my mind that there were some other major contributing factors as well.

I was just going to post something kind of similar to that. Yes, these people are obviously role models for a lot of different demographics, but in all seriousness, that's a little bit too cliché, don't you think?

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Fabrizio2
#118smoking
Posted: 4/7/06 at 8:46pm

luvtheEmcee and siamese dream...they are right....i mean smoking is bad, but first of all how would a thirteen year old girl know that Idina smokes...they haven't seen her do it, there are no photos to my knowledge. I mean it would be one thing if she came out of the stage door of Wicked and lit up while signing autographs and taking pictures...but she doesn't do that sooooo....

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#119smoking
Posted: 4/7/06 at 8:51pm

Right. I could understand people complaining if these actors were signing autographs for a [predominantly young] crowd while smoking cigarettes. But still, I just think that if you've got a child who thinks they should smoke because Actor X smokes, there's a LITTLE something else going on there. It seems like it's over-simplified by the DARE generation to just say that people think smoking is cool by example and therefore do it.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 4/7/06 at 08:51 PM

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#120smoking
Posted: 4/7/06 at 9:09pm

Does Chita? This is a very good idea for a board btw

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

Marguerite Chauvelin
#121smoking
Posted: 4/7/06 at 9:16pm

I kept seeing Chuck Cooper smoke whenever I was at Lennon stagedoor. It was funny because he dropped his lighter on stage one night.

If Percy Blakeney were in Les Mis....

Percy: Sink me! If it isn't Javvurt!
Javert: Zsah-vair, it's pronounced Zsah-vair.
Pecry: But it's spelled J-A-V-E-R-T Javvurt.
Javert: Repeat after me Zsah...Zsah....
Percy: Oh! Zsa-Zsa! Like the Gabor sister! Well I personally have always prefered Eva.
Javert: (Looks for gun)

Broadwayluva Profile Photo
Broadwayluva
#122smoking
Posted: 4/7/06 at 10:43pm

like someone said earlier, even though this is very interesting, it's none of our business what goes on their lives. Just a litle input of my own, no offense to what anyone said here, but i just can't imagine Idina smoking, but if she does, my feelings toward her will never change, i'll always look up to her for inspiration.

Illegally Blondish Profile Photo
Illegally Blondish
#123smoking
Posted: 4/8/06 at 2:01am

Now, exactly what smoke are we referring to? 'Cause I have a list of stars who smoke a variety of substances.

camthom Profile Photo
camthom
#124smoking
Posted: 4/8/06 at 2:29am

Are you a supplier legally blondish?

Yeah...I'm not a big fan of smoke. I've lost a few friends and family members to lung cancer. However, as far as a topic on this site goes, it would seem a touch ridiculous to allow for bashing stars who happen to smoke.

I also have to admit it's a little ridiculous for a previous poster to compare smoking with AIDS. Call up BC/EFA and recommend Broadway Cares/Equity Fights Smoking, strangely enough I don't think the buckets would be quite so full. Smoking is a habit. AIDS is a disease.

So some people smoke and some do not. Margo said it best in that some of the best singers in all of our history happened to be smokers. It affects different people differently.

Isn't there something more important to worry about? Like whether or not James Barbour is sleeping with Bubba instead of 15 year-old girls nowadays?