pixeltracker

So who keeps or collects Playbills??- Page 2

So who keeps or collects Playbills??

zippyjen Profile Photo
zippyjen
#25re: So who keeps or collects Playbills??
Posted: 8/4/05 at 9:24am

i keep all my playbills. i have one from every show i've seen from peter pan, my first- to chitty chitty bang bang- my last.

"At the opening night party, they had clowns on stilts, jugglers, a chocolate fountain, popcorn, hot dogs. [My son] looked at me like I had been holding back. Like, 'This is what you do?' I had to tell him, 'No, no, darling. Opening nights don't usually look like this.' It's usually a dark bar with a bottle of vodka." ?Chitty Chitty Bang Bang's Jan Maxwell plus i proudly share the title of the shortest member over the age of 10 with wickedrentq!

EverythingIsRENT Profile Photo
EverythingIsRENT
#26re: So who keeps or collects Playbills??
Posted: 8/4/05 at 9:35am

I'm almost ashamed to admit I paied over $60 for a signed RENT OBC playbill! Yeah, I got into a big bidding war on ebay with this other girl, but I WANTED that sucker bad!! Hehe it's now one of my most prized possesions.

Sunchips: Best Kept Secret in the chip aisle!!

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#27re: So who keeps or collects Playbills??
Posted: 8/4/05 at 9:39am

That's a bargain - you'll likely be able to get double that when the movie hits.

I have the original window card signed by the original broadway cast (well, it's Norbert instead of David Driver - but that's what most people consider the original company) hanging in my apartment.

I had two but I sold it on eBay in 1998 for over $400.

I also remember back in the day that a signed "stash" from Daphne Rubin-Vega went for around $500.

mabel Profile Photo
mabel
#28re: So who keeps or collects Playbills??
Posted: 8/4/05 at 10:31am

Yeah, I keep all of my Playbills and my ticket stubs (I'm still a bit peeved that I gave away my ticket envelope that had my stub in it from Sight Unseen...I was chatting w/ some girl and gave her my email...didn't get hers, so alas, I could even grovel pathetically to have her send it to me).

I also collect them from shows I don't see...not so much anymore because I see pretty much everything (as long as it has student rush), but when I used to come into the city on vacation and we'd see 2-3 shows, I'd make the rounds and scrounge for Playbills (either sneaking into the theatre as the show let out, or even...shhhhh...picking them out of the trash! I know it's pathetic, but I was very discriminating. I'd only pick if they were just sitting on top. Come on! I picked an Amy's View and got it signed by Judy Dench. I know that's tacky, since I didn't see the show, but I'm still a fan of hers, so...)

But when did New Hampshire become--Such a backward wasteland of seatbelt hating crazies?...I mean, only 40 people actually live there. The others are just visitors who come for the tax-free liquor and three inches of novelty coastline. John Hodgeman on The Daily Show (1-30-07)

yodamarie78 Profile Photo
yodamarie78
#29re: So who keeps or collects Playbills??
Posted: 8/4/05 at 10:36am

I frame mine, they're starting to take over my living room. I even have a wall of shame for shows I thought were bad.

EverythingIsRENT Profile Photo
EverythingIsRENT
#30re: So who keeps or collects Playbills??
Posted: 8/4/05 at 10:36am

good, i'm not the only trash-picker! LOL When I was walking down the street outside the Amsterdam, I happened to glance in the trashcan and there were two perfect Lion King playbills right on top! I was like, heck, why not grab 'em? Haha I do love my playbills.

Sunchips: Best Kept Secret in the chip aisle!!
Updated On: 8/4/05 at 10:36 AM

Born2cthelightsofbway Profile Photo
Born2cthelightsofbway
#31re: So who keeps or collects Playbills??
Posted: 8/4/05 at 10:39am

I keep all of my playbills. It would be a shame to throw them away, they are printed for a reason. Plus, I love to look through them all the time. In my closet I have 2 big bags of playbills and two shoe-boxes. And then I have my special drawer for autographed playbills that still don't have their own picture frame.

"You alone can make my song take flight, it's over now, the Music of the Night!!!!!"

SorryGrateful
#32re: So who keeps or collects Playbills??
Posted: 8/4/05 at 10:40am

I always always always keep mine. Sure, some of them could be worth something someday, but I don't think I would ever sell them. My playbills are sort of religious relics to me. I put on a ceremonial robe and sing to them every night from the Book of Stephen.

You promised me poems. ~Tricky

katygrace84 Profile Photo
katygrace84
#33re: So who keeps or collects Playbills??
Posted: 8/4/05 at 10:43am

Go on, Sorry Grateful. Tell them all about your Assassins autographs.

ashley0139
#34re: So who keeps or collects Playbills??
Posted: 8/4/05 at 10:45am

I keep playbills and ticket stubs. Fun fun. I have them from all the Broadway shows and Broadway tours I have ever seen. It's funny, because I saw my first when I was 8 and it was Cats. At 8, I wasn't really into theatre or anything, but I must have known I would be because for some unknown reason, even though my mother told me not to, I kept my Cats playbill. Now I treasure it and I am so happy I kept it!

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

mabel Profile Photo
mabel
#35re: So who keeps or collects Playbills??

Ooooh, thanks Everything! I was thinking "hmmm, should I post that or shouldn't I?!?" I picked one from Nine that had Jenna Elphman listed during that little debacle. I was walking w/ a friend whose jaw dropped and was like "what the hell are you doing?!?!?" *shrug* What can I say??

But when did New Hampshire become--Such a backward wasteland of seatbelt hating crazies?...I mean, only 40 people actually live there. The others are just visitors who come for the tax-free liquor and three inches of novelty coastline. John Hodgeman on The Daily Show (1-30-07)

Herbert_Von_Krolock Profile Photo
Herbert_Von_Krolock
#36re: So who keeps or collects Playbills??

I keep all of mine from every show I see. It's a cheap souvenir since I'm broke LOL Plus it brings back good memories

Totale finsternis, ein meer von gefuehl und kein land

SorryGrateful
#37re: So who keeps or collects Playbills??
Posted: 8/4/05 at 10:49am

Shut up, katygrace. Why don't you tell them about your endless and all-consuming obsession with Rent that's probably going to kill your roommate because the movie doesn't come out for three more months?

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#38re: So who keeps or collects Playbills??
Posted: 8/4/05 at 10:55am

I threw a lot of my playbills out when I moved from NYC to DC. I kept the ones in which my friends were in the show though.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

idinarocksmysocks!510 Profile Photo
idinarocksmysocks!510
#39re: So who keeps or collects Playbills??
Posted: 8/4/05 at 11:04am

I do. I usually buy a ton of merchandise. The people who sell the stuff love me because of it! I get a window card too and after the show I try to get some autographs. So when I get home I put them in a poster frame with pictures and put them downstairs as memories. It's just tradition now.

you say i'm weird! look at everyone you're sitting with! and hey, those guys over there just threw napkins up in the air like they were on something! it's contajous! you can't help it!

katygrace84 Profile Photo
katygrace84
#40re: So who keeps or collects Playbills??
Posted: 8/4/05 at 11:05am

SorryGrateful, why you gotta hate? My roommate loves me and my addictions to the theater equivalent of crack. She understands because she is just as obsessed with other shows. I practically have every Sondheim musical ever written committed to memory because of that tart! And she knows that I love her for it, as well.

I have two words for you: Purple Rain.

SorryGrateful
#41re: So who keeps or collects Playbills??
Posted: 8/4/05 at 11:13am

katygrace--
You are a beeotch! But you are absolutely correct. I apologize. Speaking of Purple Rain, I might have to whip that mofo out tonight and crank it while my roommate endlessly watches this morning's tape of the Today Show. Prepare to eat my Computer Blue. And I do try to keep my Sondheim down, as opposed to my evil roommate's cranking up of "Seasons of Love." So, again, shut up.

lamentingenvelope Profile Photo
lamentingenvelope
#42re: So who keeps or collects Playbills??
Posted: 8/4/05 at 12:49pm

I am a packrat and I keep everything, so I have playbills from shows I saw before I was a theatre fanatic. Now I keep one copy of each playbill that I have in a plastic sheet in a binder, and the rest are in a box in my closet. Ones that are signed are framed and hung about my room. Someday I plan to sell extra copies of the playbills I have and frame the rest and decorate my apartment with them. I also keep ticket stubs and advertisements too (like the little brochures on shows you can get at any hotel in NYC.)

RaininSmilies
#43re: So who keeps or collects Playbills??
Posted: 8/4/05 at 2:47pm

I like to keep my playbills and ticket stubs too. It makes a nice souvenir from the show, and a very cheap one too.

MusicalDirector109
#44re: So who keeps or collects Playbills??
Posted: 8/4/05 at 4:23pm

I've got them all. Hoping to frame someday.

BroadwayDiva Profile Photo
BroadwayDiva
#45re: So who keeps or collects Playbills??
Posted: 8/4/05 at 4:26pm

Of course I keep/collect them! I have this HUGE box filled with playbills and playbill binders. I really wish I still had the playbills from when I was a really little kid. I only have the ones from the last 8 or 9 years.

I have my books and my poetry to protect me...

Abikatmom Profile Photo
Abikatmom
#46re: So who keeps or collects Playbills??
Posted: 8/4/05 at 4:30pm

Yeah, I keep mine also. Although I have never been to NYC, I have all the touring playbills...I even have the one of that "American Idol" who was in RENT, I know his name...just didn't want to spell it.

Parents of future RENTheads unite!!

HeartinNYC Profile Photo
HeartinNYC
#47re: So who keeps or collects Playbills??
Posted: 8/4/05 at 9:49pm

I keep all of them, dating back to the mid-70's. I also have my ticket stubs safely tucked into them ("A Chorus Line" - ticket price: $11.50!). I often go to Papermania conventions and buy up very old Playbills from shows I love.

It's neat to see ads from Mama Leone's Restaurant in the back!

Neither a borrower nor a lender be...unless that's mine in the first place.

AuditioningWaitress
#48re: So who keeps or collects Playbills??
Posted: 8/4/05 at 9:54pm

I keep all mine, sadly I live in a tiny NYC apartment, so most of mine (especially the old ones) are in a storage unit!

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#49re: So who keeps or collects Playbills??
Posted: 8/4/05 at 9:57pm

I keep all of my playbills. The only one i dont have is from like 10 years ago. I hang them up in my bedroom which the wall ahave become a broadway collage. It's great, it's my space, and i love it.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird