News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Lyrics that have always bugged you

Lyrics that have always bugged you

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#0Lyrics that have always bugged you
Posted: 8/9/05 at 11:03pm

What lyric(s) from your favourite shows have always bugged or confused you for some reason?

I love every note, guitar riff and angst-filled word of HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH, but one lyric has always left me dumfounded: in "Wicked Little Town (Tommy's Version)," Tommy sings:

And there's no mystical design
No cosmic lover, pre-assigned
There's nothing you can find that cannot be found

What exactly does this mean? It sounds like a redundant statement; is he supposed to mean, "you can't find something that doesn't exist"? The double-negative makes it very confusing.

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#1re: Lyrics that have always bugged you
Posted: 8/9/05 at 11:36pm

In CABARET, the song Don't Go -

This life, this giddy, hectic life, this HARUM SCARUM life...

Ugh. So jarringly awkward and un-Ebb-like.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

brdlwyr
#2re: Lyrics that have always bugged you
Posted: 8/9/05 at 11:42pm

There is a show called Red Lips - I love the music - the lyrics are horrible, so a whole show of bad lyrics.

SongNDanceman2402
#3re: Lyrics that have always bugged you
Posted: 8/9/05 at 11:45pm

brdlwr, its the exact same thing for me with Big. I like the music, but the lyrics are terrible.

brdlwyr
#4re: Lyrics that have always bugged you
Posted: 8/9/05 at 11:48pm

The wizard in Chicago was Paul in Big - how was he??

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#5re: Lyrics that have always bugged you
Posted: 8/9/05 at 11:51pm

Everything in Wicked.

Haha - just kidding.

Wanted to see the flames.

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

juice23 Profile Photo
juice23
#6re: Lyrics that have always bugged you
Posted: 8/9/05 at 11:56pm

there are bridges you crossed you didnt know you crossed until you crossed....

i love the rest of the song but i hate that line. its so.... blah. I understand what they were going for there but I find it less than brilliant.

My Music Classroom Giving Page: https://www.donorschoose.org/MrHMusicRoom

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#7re: Lyrics that have always bugged you
Posted: 8/9/05 at 11:59pm

Sorry, I didn't necessarily mean bad lyrics. I actually meant lyrics that are obtuse in their meaning or paradoxical (such as the HEDWIG lyric I offered), lyrics you don't quite understand.

But if everyone wants to have a bad-lyrics discussion I certainly don't mind.

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

brdlwyr
#8re: Lyrics that have always bugged you
Posted: 8/10/05 at 12:03am

Juice - Glinda is explaining to herself her problems at that moment. Glinda is not brilliant, so the words make sense to me.

americasinging Profile Photo
americasinging
#9re: Lyrics that have always bugged you
Posted: 8/10/05 at 12:06am

in response to BlueWizard, i think the lyricist may have been trying to pull a beatles lyric. if you've ever heard "all you need is love" john sings "There’s nothing you can do that can’t be done. Nothing you can sing that can’t be sung.
Nothing you can say but you can learn how to play the game.
It’s easy. Nothing you can make that can’t be made.
No one you can save that can’t be saved.
Nothing you can do but you can learn how to be you in time.
It’s easy." basically meaning if you can do something (you fill in the blank) it's already been done or somebody already knows how to do it. Just a little info cause that lyric just struck a chord with me! and i freaking love the beatles

"I hear America singing...the checker, the trucker, the worker, the housewife..." WORKING

MissElphie Profile Photo
MissElphie
#10re: Lyrics that have always bugged you
Posted: 8/10/05 at 12:19am

I love Wicked, but I actually don;t like a lot of the lines in "For Good". First they're talking about friendship and stuff, then all of a sudden they break into verses about comets and ships.

hellacoolmichael
#11re: Lyrics that have always bugged you
Posted: 8/10/05 at 12:24am

But soon my doubts disappeared.
I think you're normaller than they.
Now you're scared; you're in need.
Clearly someone has to bleed.

--Inside your heart: Bat Boy the Musical.

I think I peed a little when she said "Normaller". That's not a word.

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#12re: Lyrics that have always bugged you
Posted: 8/10/05 at 1:24am

Nothing matters
But knowing nothing matters
It's just life
So keep dancing through.

W. T. F.
Dancing Through Life is honestly one of my FAVORITE songs on that recording, just because the melody seems brilliant to me. But lyrics?! (And not just in this song. SEVERAL others.) Defying Gravity too...I mean...reiterate the title of the song much?

This is my signature.

buffyactsing Profile Photo
buffyactsing
#13re: Lyrics that have always bugged you
Posted: 8/10/05 at 1:54am

When Fosca's cousin (in Passion) sings "that is the thorn in my side" during the flashback sequence. It sounded very cliche and un-Sondheim like to me. Then I read the novel on which the show is based and the colonel says something very similar so they it didn't really bug me as much...it's pretty much lifted from the source material.

"This ocean runs more dark and deep than you may think you know...I'll be the fear of the fire at sea." -Marie Christine

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#14re: Lyrics that have always bugged you
Posted: 8/10/05 at 1:58am

"Nessa, uh Nessa I've got something to confess a reason why..."

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#15re: Lyrics that have always bugged you
Posted: 8/10/05 at 2:04am

See, I thought that was REALLY clever. Sort of like the whole "pal, a sister and advisor" even if it sounds like "paralysis visor". But I like those ryhmes that the later syllable sort of carries on to the next line.

This is my signature.

#16re: Lyrics that have always bugged you
Posted: 8/10/05 at 2:08am

^^^ I love that line! don't ask me why...I just do.

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#17re: Lyrics that have always bugged you
Posted: 8/10/05 at 2:23am

there are bridges you crossed you didnt know you crossed until you crossed them

I love that line!

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#18re: Lyrics that have always bugged you
Posted: 8/10/05 at 2:25am

Horrible sentence structure. It doesn't seem that bad in a song because the pitches are different, which doesn't make it as bad as it seems, but if you just read it on paper, you're sort of thinking to yourself, "Wait...bridge..cross...so..did I go over it? Or..not?"

This is my signature.

TabooPhan1 Profile Photo
TabooPhan1
#19re: Lyrics that have always bugged you
Posted: 8/10/05 at 2:35am

"I...I gotta pee!"~Roxy Hart in Chicago

*blink blink* whatever Roxy...

I hold a degree in Musical Theatre from Montclair State University. It is useless. Now I'm funny for money. Oh, and I sing.

Sant
#20re: Lyrics that have always bugged you
Posted: 8/10/05 at 9:03am

The whole song "Whistle Down The Wind" - the weirdest lyrics ever! I don't get it.

Cheno'sBiggestfan Profile Photo
Cheno'sBiggestfan
#21re: Lyrics that have always bugged you
Posted: 8/10/05 at 9:30am

juice about the line "there are bridges you crossed you didnt know you crossed until you crossed" i think what glinda is tyring to say is that she went over obsticles and didnt even notcied until she went back and looked...someone correct me if im wrong
bye the way i love that line it seemes like glindas part of the song is bluding up to one point and once it gets to crossed (the second one) it hits the point and starts to fall in action from there. i just love it

"when i was little, i wanted to be Ethel Merman" harvey firestein

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#22re: Lyrics that have always bugged you
Posted: 8/10/05 at 10:15am

From SUNSET BOULEVARD

There's been a call
What did I say
They want to see me right away

"What did I say" falls on my ears as "What did I say??" as if Norma forgot what she just said.

chess12 Profile Photo
chess12
#23re: Lyrics that have always bugged you
Posted: 8/10/05 at 11:28am

This has always bugged me:

"...and watch her daddy ossify?"
BEAUTY AND THE BEAST

Were they lost for rhyming words? And this is a children's musical!

UGGH!

MissElphie Profile Photo
MissElphie
#24re: Lyrics that have always bugged you
Posted: 8/10/05 at 11:30am

I think the bridge's crossed line is ok as it is sung by Glinda, who has poor ways of pronouncing everything anyway. The fact that the sentance structure may be a little confusing just makes it all the more "Glida-ish" for me.

Videos