pixeltracker

Sweet Charity 8/11/05 - Spoilers?

Sweet Charity 8/11/05 - Spoilers?

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#0Sweet Charity 8/11/05 - Spoilers?
Posted: 8/12/05 at 11:53am

I've never been to two shows in a week, and never went to an evening show (I know you can laugh at me, but hey, I was excited). I had just seen All Shook Up on Sunday, which is why I didn't expect to see Sweet Charity last night. My friend and I actually got student rush tickets for $26.25, and they were first row on the left side...excellent seats! Take advantage of student rush for this show!

Everyone was in last night...except Anika Ellis was Helene...is DaCosta on vacation or did she leave? Well, who cares, the show was still great.

First let me point out that the dancing was spectacular! Especially "Rich Man's Frug", "If My Friends Could See Me Now", "The Rhythm of Life" and "I'm a Brass Band". Christina Applegate is excellent! She's a really great dancer and her voice was perfect for the role. She's a real cutie!

The funniest scenes included the closet scene duringn Vittorio's song, "Too Many Tomorrows". Since we were on the left and the closet was on the left, I was actually paying more attention to that than what was going on between Vittorio and Ursula. The other scene was the elevator scene - Denis O'Hare was hilarious.

Of course Janine LaManna and Anika Ellis were wonderful in their roles as Nickie and Helene. I liked "There's Gotta Be Something Better Than This" and "Baby, Dream Your Dream".

There was one thing that didn't really fit in the show, at least that I thought, however I really liked the number - "The Rhythm of Life". What was the point of that? Again, I enjoyed it though...probably something to merely capture the audience's attention at the beginning of Act 2?

And Rob Bartlett as Herman, you barely saw him in the show, then all of a sudden he has to sing "I Love to Cry at Weddings" - great number!

Overall, I loved the choreography, and Christina Applegate has the comedic timing to pull the role off!

After the show, my friend and I went to the stage door. They had barricades up and a bunch of people were waiting there for Christina. I got Christina, Anika, Dennis, and Janine's autograph. The guy said no poses with Christina, but I saw someone pose with her for a picture, and being the idiot I am I ask "Can I have a quick picture with you?" And then I realize I shouldn't have asked that, so I just say never mind, but she said it was okay and to quickly get down so my friend could snap the picture. After I felt a little bad. Then I saw Christina talk to this adorable little girl...she was very nice and such a sweetheart.

Go see it!

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
Updated On: 8/13/05 at 11:53 AM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#1re: Sweet Charity 8/11/05 - Spoilers?
Posted: 8/12/05 at 12:10pm

I'm glad you enjoyed the show. Great review.

Parks
#2re: Sweet Charity 8/11/05 - Spoilers?
Posted: 8/12/05 at 12:59pm

Sweet Charity is an incredible show--I loved it too. I'm glad you enjoyed it!! Christina is so sweet at the stagedoor. re: Sweet Charity 8/11/05 - Spoilers?

If you all haven't seen it, you're missing out!

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA
Updated On: 8/12/05 at 12:59 PM

Joshua488
#3re: Sweet Charity 8/11/05 - Spoilers?
Posted: 8/12/05 at 1:24pm

I was there last night, too! I was in the first row on the right side! I definitely saw you, but I didn't know who you were.

Did you happen to notice Ted McGinley (aka Jefferson D'Arcy from Married... with Children) in the audience? re: Sweet Charity 8/11/05 - Spoilers?

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#4re: Sweet Charity 8/11/05 - Spoilers?
Posted: 8/12/05 at 3:22pm

is La Costa on vacation or did she leave?

She's on vacation for a week or two. When I saw the show, she left the stage door with five large suitcases.

Yorkie1276
#5re: Sweet Charity 8/11/05 - Spoilers?
Posted: 8/12/05 at 4:14pm

Broadway86, did you see the show this past Sunday?

check your personality Profile Photo
check your personality
#6re: Sweet Charity 8/11/05 - Spoilers?
Posted: 8/12/05 at 4:20pm

I'm glad you enjoyed Sweet Charity and Christina, I thought it was fabulous as well.

As long as we are on the topic of vacations and being out of the show, does anyone know when Christina's scheduled last performance is? I really want to see it again with my mom, but it's harder now that I'm going to college in a week! Thanks.

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#7re: Sweet Charity 8/11/05 - Spoilers?
Posted: 8/12/05 at 4:24pm

Woohoo! Another great sweet charity review, i love the show so everyone go see it!

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#8re: Sweet Charity 8/11/05 - Spoilers?
Posted: 8/12/05 at 4:54pm

isn't it January her last preformance?

RentBoy86
#9re: Sweet Charity 8/11/05 - Spoilers?
Posted: 8/12/05 at 7:08pm

how do they do the elevator scene? seems like itd be hard to do a small elevator scene on such a large stage?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#10re: Sweet Charity 8/11/05 - Spoilers?
Posted: 8/12/05 at 7:13pm

^ You'd be amazed.

It's an incredible scene, and it looks EXACTLY like an elevator.

RentBoy86
#11re: Sweet Charity 8/11/05 - Spoilers?
Posted: 8/12/05 at 7:15pm

like does it look weird on the stage? since the theater is so big? and the stage is so big? I wish they had pictures

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#12re: Sweet Charity 8/11/05 - Spoilers?
Posted: 8/12/05 at 7:18pm

Crap. They used to have a pic of the scene on the NY TIMES site.

But I don't know if it's still there.

RentBoy86
#13re: Sweet Charity 8/11/05 - Spoilers?
Posted: 8/12/05 at 10:15pm

aw, is there one in the CD booklet?

sofiasampaio Profile Photo
sofiasampaio
#14re: Sweet Charity 8/11/05 - Spoilers?
Posted: 8/12/05 at 10:27pm

Great review ... I got a picture w/ Christina too !! she was really nice, but I din't get when I went to see the musical ... I got it one night .. she was just standing there alone!

it's the BEST musical EVER.

Christina and Denis are AWESOME!

JUST ... THE BEST ... i have 637 pictures on my laptop... and 4 videos .. lol ... my background, buddy icon ... msn icon ... everthing is SWEET CHARITY .

"IF YOU COULD SEE IT NOWWWWW"
GO

Joshua488
#15re: Sweet Charity 8/11/05 - Spoilers?
Posted: 8/12/05 at 10:29pm

The theatre really isn't big at all, so the elevator scene isn't awkward.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#16re: Sweet Charity 8/11/05 - Spoilers?
Posted: 8/12/05 at 10:45pm

^ No. I think he's under the impression that the elevator takes up the WHOLE stage, but it does not.

Joshua488
#17re: Sweet Charity 8/11/05 - Spoilers?
Posted: 8/12/05 at 10:56pm

Oh! I see.

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#18re: Sweet Charity 8/11/05 - Spoilers?
Posted: 8/12/05 at 11:09pm

nice review. I forgot that Ernie Sabella left the show. Glad you had a nice time re: Sweet Charity 8/11/05 - Spoilers?.

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#19re: Sweet Charity 8/11/05 - Spoilers?
Posted: 8/12/05 at 11:09pm

Broadway86, did you see the show this past Sunday?

I did.

Yorkie1276
#20re: Sweet Charity 8/11/05 - Spoilers?
Posted: 8/12/05 at 11:14pm

I was there too, and I also saw DaCosta with her baggage.

Great show. I went in sure that I was going to hate it and hate Christina and left pleasantly surprised, so even if you think you won't like it, give it a try.

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#21re: Sweet Charity 8/11/05 - Spoilers?
Posted: 8/13/05 at 12:15am

Very true. I adored Christina, and loved every minute of it. Well... almost. Rhett George and "Rhythm of Life" single-handedly lowered the show's GPA.

RentBoy86
#22re: Sweet Charity 8/11/05 - Spoilers?
Posted: 8/13/05 at 12:34am

thanks for the info

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#23re: Sweet Charity 8/11/05 - Spoilers?
Posted: 8/13/05 at 9:09am

Okay, the elevator scene doesn't take up the whole stage. It is a box opening in the middle of the stage as wide and as far back as a typical elevator would be. They are able to move it up and down.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Videos