Annie national tour review

BwayTheatre11
#0Annie national tour review
Posted: 8/23/05 at 3:54pm

Positive review.

I really want to see this production, because I am in the same boat at the critic: never saw a true professional production of Annie.

Congrats to the cast and crew!

Seattle Times:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/theaterarts/2002448834_annie23.html

CCM '10!

otis33 Profile Photo
otis33
#1re: Annie national tour review
Posted: 8/23/05 at 3:58pm

I'm excited to see the tour in San Diego in a few weeks. Happy to read a nice review.

JoMarch Profile Photo
JoMarch
#2re: Annie national tour review
Posted: 8/23/05 at 4:13pm

Thanks so much for posting the link. I was hoping it would be a good production. Looks like I'll be seeing it now!

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#3re: Annie national tour review
Posted: 8/23/05 at 4:19pm

It's the best production of Annie that I've seen, but I've only seen community theatre and high school productions. The girl playing Annie is fabulous, Warbucks is fantastic, Hannigan is a hoot. I found the character of Grace very strangely directed with a psychofrenic nature, and didn't get much from Rooster or Lily. The sets look remarkably cheap for the "spiffed up" version they've been bragging about, and the overall pacing is a bit monotonous. There's also a surprising lack of actual choreography. Everything's musically staged, but not choreographed. (though Hooverville is great!) But it's Annie, and it's very enjoyable overall, because of the three leads.

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

JoMarch Profile Photo
JoMarch
#4re: Annie national tour review
Posted: 8/23/05 at 4:35pm

So they DO sing the Hoover song in this revival? I love that song and hate that both films eliminated it.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#5re: Annie national tour review
Posted: 8/23/05 at 6:30pm

Glad to hear that Hooverville is back in the show. It was also cut from the abysmal revival in '97.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Broadway_freak Profile Photo
Broadway_freak
#6re: Annie national tour review
Posted: 8/23/05 at 6:53pm

I'n glad to hear a good review, i can't wait to see it at the Wharton CEnter here in Lansing.

ILUVWICKED722
#7re: Annie national tour review
Posted: 8/23/05 at 7:37pm

Well here is a coincedence I was just in the Broadway National tour of OLIVER! I performed at the Wharton Center and the Company Managers on Annie were the Company Managers on my tour. They are great guys and go see the show it will be very good great cast!

keggss23 Profile Photo
keggss23
#8re: Annie national tour review
Posted: 8/23/05 at 7:38pm

Can't wait to see this in San Diego. I have never seen a professional production of it either.

"When you're a Jet, / You're a Jet all the way, / From your first pirouette / To your last grand jete." --Brian Kaman

Mahatma Kane Jeeves
#9re: Annie national tour review
Posted: 8/24/05 at 8:30pm

This is really great to hear! Annie has long been due for a facelift, this new production sounds like just the ticket! Conrad John Schuck, in my opinion, is one of our great, unsung character actors who's never really got his due. Remember his great turn in the original film version of MASH as the Painless Pole, "the best equipped dentist in the army?" re: Annie national tour review

Brush up your Shakespeare, and they'll all kow-tow!

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#10re: Annie national tour review
Posted: 8/24/05 at 8:31pm

Oh gosh, he is pretty fantastic. I can tell that he is hillarious. I would love to see him in Urinetown somewhere.

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

#11re: Annie national tour review
Posted: 8/24/05 at 8:32pm

keggss23, same here. the only version i "saw" was the one i was in. which i really only go to see in rehersals, and never got to see my scenes.

JoMarch Profile Photo
JoMarch
#12re: Annie national tour review
Posted: 8/24/05 at 8:38pm

Well I'm definitely looking forward to this tour now!

Indahoodz
#13re: Annie national tour review
Posted: 8/24/05 at 9:05pm

Annie doesnt really have any "Dance" numbers. It's really all staged choreography and in this show the "stage movement" is all the original, from the original production.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#14re: Annie national tour review
Posted: 8/24/05 at 10:01pm

I'm seeing this on Saturday. I will report back on how it is.

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#15re: Annie national tour review
Posted: 8/25/05 at 12:55am

No, the choreography is new, from what I know, and there really isn't much "choreography." It should really say "musical staging," because the most they do is walk in time, with MAYBE a spin thrown in for good measure. (if it's the original "choreography" then I'm very disappointed)

I remember watching it and going, "hmm, I shouldn't really be liking this" because there really is a lot wrong with the creative side of things (not the performers), but it's Annie and it somehow just won me over. They needed to pick up the pace when I saw it, though. Some of Hannigan's bits were just way prolonged.

Updated On: 8/25/05 at 12:55 AM

Videos