the grass harp...

apdarcey
#0the grass harp...
Posted: 8/28/05 at 4:47pm

alright.. i got a copy of the cd sent to me the other day... it has barbara cook... i haven't listened to it yet, but i read the synopsis and it sounds like a total hippie musical. i've never even heard of it, or the composer..

can anyone offer any help? thanks!
andrew
Updated On: 8/28/05 at 04:47 PM

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#1re: the grass harp...
Posted: 8/28/05 at 4:52pm

Cast Recording. Since there is a soundtrack of the film, I feel the need to clarify.

It's based on the Truman Capote book, so I'd start there.

And it's not really a hippie musical. Great score though. Bad book.

Here's a recent thread on the show:

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?boardname=bway&thread=860674#1299675

Updated On: 8/28/05 at 04:52 PM

apdarcey
#2re: the grass harp...
Posted: 8/28/05 at 5:03pm

thanks bb... i'm more excited about listening to it now...

do you have some other show that it is comparable to musically? the fantasticks?

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#3re: the grass harp...
Posted: 8/28/05 at 6:01pm

It's hard to say. I think Grass Harp stands alone, and does some things musically that were never repeated. Fantasticks is too fanciful of a piece to compare to Grass Harp, at least in my opinion.

I think songs like:

"The Babylove Miracle Show"
"Dropsy Cure Weather"
"Chain of Love"

are unique songs that stand out as some of the best written for a musical.

When I'm in a bad mood, "Dropsy Cure Weather" cheers me right up! And the underused Karen Morrow is in great form on the recording.

Jon
#4re: the grass harp...
Posted: 8/28/05 at 7:00pm

Before the age of CD's, the original cast album on vinyl was one of those rare ones that were sought after by collectors like it was the holy grail. It often sold for as much as $100.

The singing of Barbara Cook and Karen Morrow on this recording is heavenly.

show2n2 Profile Photo
show2n2
#5re: the grass harp...
Posted: 8/28/05 at 7:05pm

Bobby,

That songs always cheers me up 2. Love to hear ...."Look at that...a Cat Cloud"

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#6re: the grass harp...
Posted: 8/28/05 at 7:26pm

Yes indeed. Pure bliss. :)

yipper Profile Photo
yipper
#7re: the grass harp...
Posted: 8/28/05 at 10:00pm

Hippie Musical? That is FUNNY. Not quite my friend. It's not HAIR. Based on a Truman Capote Novella. It is a lovey piece of work. Dropsey Cure Weather as sung by Cook is ravishing.
Marry with Me is funny in a sweet way. I love listening to it, can really brighten up your day.

Follow the Fellow who Follows a Dream...

theatrebabe
#8re: the grass harp...
Posted: 8/28/05 at 10:03pm

hold on,I saw a movie a looong time ago callrd The Grass Harp. It was about someone who went to live in a treehouse or something.Is this the same thing?

"While some feel it is a film related question, I seem to think it may be a 'I am thinking of losing my winkie' sort of question."
-cheezedoodle

Mahatma Kane Jeeves
#9re: the grass harp...
Posted: 8/28/05 at 11:40pm

I adore the tune "Yellow Drum," an incredibly catchy number which once heard, can never be forgotten!

Brush up your Shakespeare, and they'll all kow-tow!
Updated On: 8/28/05 at 11:40 PM

chenofan Profile Photo
chenofan
#10re: the grass harp...
Posted: 8/28/05 at 11:43pm

I, now, adore this show! Thanks to you BobbyBubby ! :)

"You look like a Christmas tree with a drinking problem!" - MEMPHIS

Jon
#11re: the grass harp...
Posted: 8/29/05 at 1:54am

Yes, Theatrebabe, the movie, which had Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau uin the cast, is based on the same story.

MisterRussell Profile Photo
MisterRussell
#12re: the grass harp...
Posted: 8/29/05 at 2:07am

Played Dr. Ritz in this show in 2000. Great score done in by abysmal book.

WalkOn
#13re: the grass harp...
Posted: 1/10/07 at 4:28pm

This score is so delightful. Any chance with a better book this show could fly?

Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart; and you'll never walk alone.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#14re: the grass harp...
Posted: 1/10/07 at 4:33pm

I love the score as well. "Chain of Love" is my favorite. Maybe Encores can tackle this one year...(wishful thinking)

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#15re: the grass harp...
Posted: 1/10/07 at 4:36pm

The film is unwatchable.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#16re: the grass harp...
Posted: 1/10/07 at 4:39pm

It doesn't work on stage, but I think it would be a lovely piece for ENCORES to do.

WalkOn
#17re: the grass harp...
Posted: 1/10/07 at 4:45pm

I wonder if the best approach to concerts of shows with good scores but poor books is to perform the numbers with minimal dialogue and some sort of linking naration.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#18re: the grass harp...
Posted: 1/10/07 at 5:17pm

Well, THE GRASS HARP barely has any dialogue. The show isn't even 90 minutes long!

WalkOn
#19re: the grass harp...
Posted: 1/10/07 at 5:39pm

So true!

sondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
#20re: the grass harp...
Posted: 1/11/07 at 12:13am

That album is one of my true joys.

It's been a while since I read the script, but I wouldn't say it was abysmal.

It's one of those stories that one person would say that nothing happens in it (All they do is go and sit in a tree) and another person would say everything happen in it (Dolly steps out of her sister's shadow and the sister realizes how important Dolly is to her and the nephew becomes a man...)

Though "Grass Harp" falls closer to the "nothing happens in it" category.

Interestingly enough, the "straight" play written by Truman Capote himself flopped in that same theater twenty years earlier.

You should, of course, consult Ken Mandelbaum's "Not Since Carrie" and Ethan Mordden's "One More Kiss" to read up on the show.

"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba

IssaMe
#21re: the grass harp...
Posted: 1/11/07 at 7:28am

One of the great original cast albums of all time. It was recorded in an odd way...after the show flopped, the music tracks were recorded by musicians in Germany and then those master tapes were brought back to the U.S. to have the vocals overdubbed by the Broadway cast. Not the way cast albums usually are (allowed to be) done.

The recording was financed by the creators of the show, not by a major record label as is usually the case.

Ben Bagley released the LP on his Painted Smiles label, and it has since be licensed to other labels for reissue with added tracks.

Attempts to revive the musical itself have been attempted but it has never really worked very well - except on the album, where it is brilliant.

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#22re: the grass harp...
Posted: 1/11/07 at 7:42am

When the show was first out of town, Elaine Stritch was Babylove.

WalkOn
#23re: the grass harp...
Posted: 1/11/07 at 11:30am

Why was Strich replaced?

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#24re: the grass harp...
Posted: 1/11/07 at 11:31am

Because no one could call her Babylove with a straight face.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Videos