pixeltracker

Whats your favorite Andrew Lloyd Webber musical???- Page 3

Whats your favorite Andrew Lloyd Webber musical???

joanlegorreta Profile Photo
joanlegorreta
#50re: Whats your favorite Andrew Lloyd Webber musical???
Posted: 9/5/05 at 10:27pm

Sunset Boulevard is my favorite musical!

Followed by Joseph, as u can see in my picture

Tenorific2
#51re: Whats your favorite Andrew Lloyd Webber musical???
Posted: 9/5/05 at 10:27pm

"Sunset" with Betty Buckley because it was the first West End show I saw.

The touring co. of "JCS" with Eric Kunze is second.

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#52re: Whats your favorite Andrew Lloyd Webber musical???
Posted: 9/5/05 at 10:38pm

re: Whats your favorite Andrew Lloyd Webber musical???

1. The Beautiful Game
2. JC Superstar
3. Joseph
4. Evita

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

roquat
#53re: Whats your favorite Andrew Lloyd Webber musical???
Posted: 9/5/05 at 10:44pm

The only Webber worth anything is "Evita", which tackled a fascinating subject (not always well, but interestingly). It's also the only one with a passable film version. "Joseph" and "JCS" can be enjoyably trashy. "Cats" is like a bad Oscar night going on forever.

I ask in all honesty/What would life be?/Without a song and a dance, what are we?/So I say "Thank you for the music/For giving it to me."

AnotherDay46 Profile Photo
AnotherDay46
#54re: Whats your favorite Andrew Lloyd Webber musical???
Posted: 9/5/05 at 10:47pm

I have to say Evita followed by The Phantom of the Opera. ^__^

Jon
#55re: Whats your favorite Andrew Lloyd Webber musical???
Posted: 9/5/05 at 10:47pm

As someone who does NOT like Lloyd Webber's music, I'm picking BY JEEVES, because it has the LEAST amount of music in it! There are just ten rather short songs - none of which really advance the plot. You could completley cut out Lloyd Webber's score and you'd still have a good full-length comedy by Alan Ayckbourn!

#56re: Whats your favorite Andrew Lloyd Webber musical???
Posted: 9/5/05 at 11:45pm

I am particularly fond of Phantom. I think Evita comes in at a close second. :)

~Rosalynn

KMEP05
#57re: Whats your favorite Andrew Lloyd Webber musical???
Posted: 9/6/05 at 12:47am

Sunset Blvd and Evita.

xmykeyx Profile Photo
xmykeyx
#58re: Whats your favorite Andrew Lloyd Webber musical???
Posted: 9/6/05 at 12:50am

phantom and jesus and joseph... followed distantly by evita...

Perhaps Woman in White will become my new favorite?

"if.. someone like.. YOU.. Loved.. ME :( " ~Linda Eder

Composer9 Profile Photo
Composer9
#59re: Whats your favorite Andrew Lloyd Webber musical???
Posted: 9/6/05 at 12:55am

I do not care for ALW...but if I had to choose I would say Sunset Blvd. or Evita...

The key to the mystery of a great artist is that for reasons unknown, he will give away his energies and his life just to make sure that one note follows another... and leaves us with the feeling that something is right in the world. ~Leonard Bernstein~

Practically Perfect Profile Photo
Practically Perfect
#60re: Whats your favorite Andrew Lloyd Webber musical???
Posted: 9/6/05 at 3:50am

Sunset Blvd, Phantom and Woman In White.

The Beautiful Game, and Whistle Down The Wind were both painful, and I'm not a fan of Aspects of Love. Evita and Jesus Christ Superstar were good for the time they were written, but somehow don't work for me in the 21st Century...

Mary P x

Sant
#61re: Whats your favorite Andrew Lloyd Webber musical???
Posted: 9/6/05 at 5:26am

THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
CATS
SUNSET BOULEVARD (the score & book, I never saw this on stage)

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#62re: Whats your favorite Andrew Lloyd Webber musical???
Posted: 9/6/05 at 7:08am

---THREADJACK---

Hello Margo! I hope you're feeling better and are back in the theatres.

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#63re: Whats your favorite Andrew Lloyd Webber musical???
Posted: 9/6/05 at 7:18am

1. Evita
2. The Woman in White
3. Sunset Boulevard

I hate everything else, with the exception of JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR, which I only mildly dislike.

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
#64re: Whats your favorite Andrew Lloyd Webber musical???
Posted: 9/6/05 at 7:42am

Even the staunchest Lloyd-Webber-hater would have to admit that there's a huge range of different answers here, and that the man is really quite versatile. Obviously, he can't please everyone - if you don't like Wodehouse, you won't like By Jeeves; if you don't like cheesy '80's pop you won't like Starlight Express; if you don't like melodrama, you won't like The Woman in White etc etc - but most might admit to finding one or two of his shows interesting....

Phantomerik15 Profile Photo
Phantomerik15
#65re: Whats your favorite Andrew Lloyd Webber musical???
Posted: 9/6/05 at 9:54am

Phantom of the Opera

Back, he spurred like a madman, shrieking a curse to the sky. With the white road smoking behind him and his rapier brandished high! Blood-red were the spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat, when they shot him down on the highway, down like a dog on the highway, and he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat... (The Highwayman. Sung by: Loreena McKennitt)

playbill_signer_05 Profile Photo
playbill_signer_05
#66re: Whats your favorite Andrew Lloyd Webber musical???
Posted: 9/6/05 at 10:10am

I like both Cats and The Phantom of the Opera... unfortunately I can't say I know all the music to his other shows.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#67re: Whats your favorite Andrew Lloyd Webber musical???
Posted: 9/6/05 at 10:20am

Aspects of Love is my personal favorite. The US tour based on the Toronto production was beautiful.

Elphaba - I attended the final performance of Beautiful Game in London. Probably his most underrated show (along with Aspects). It was quite good and brilliantly staged. I think people were disappointed it wasn't one of his sung-through mega-musicals with enormous sets and state-of-the-art special effects. Lloyd Webber was sitting a few rows behind me. Our Kind of Love literally stopped the show. The ovation went on and on and on.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

RockabyeHamlet
#68re: Whats your favorite Andrew Lloyd Webber musical???
Posted: 9/6/05 at 11:52am

Evita and Cats

"I wouldn't let Esparza's Bobby take my kids to the zoo...I'd be afraid he'd steal their ice cream and laugh."- YankeeFan
"People who like Sondheim enjoy cruelty."-LuvtheEmcee

QueenAnne82 Profile Photo
QueenAnne82
#69re: Whats your favorite Andrew Lloyd Webber musical???
Posted: 9/6/05 at 3:04pm

Phantom and Evita

Everything in this room is *eat*able. Even I'm *eat*able. But that is called cannibalism, my dear children, and is in fact frowned upon in most societies. ~Willy Wonka

It's TRUE! GET A FREE IPOD!!! It's really easy http://premiumipods.freepay.com/?r=15232098 Ask me any questions about it.

I love Ana Gasteyer and Chicago Theater!!!

Gemzigem Profile Photo
Gemzigem
#70re: Whats your favorite Andrew Lloyd Webber musical???
Posted: 9/6/05 at 3:13pm

The Woman in White and Phantom, i love them both, they're so dramatic!

bially082 Profile Photo
bially082
#71re: Whats your favorite Andrew Lloyd Webber musical???
Posted: 9/6/05 at 3:15pm

Sunset. Followed by phantom.

You are young, life has been kind to you. You will learn.

bryceab
#72re: Whats your favorite Andrew Lloyd Webber musical???
Posted: 9/7/05 at 1:37am

Aspects of Love is my favorite, the US tour directed by Robin Phillips was beautiful. Evita is the tightest, ALW needs a strong lyricist to keep him from getting carried away. Starlight Express(the first show I saw in NYC and London) is my guilty pleasure.

jo
#73re: Whats your favorite Andrew Lloyd Webber musical???
Posted: 9/7/05 at 2:34am

To me, The Beautiful Game is the most poignant of his musicals. It is very sad because because of its contemporary theme of sectarian violence ( against the backdrop of "the beautiful game of soccer"). My favourite song is God's Own Country, one that tells of the plight of immigrants, another current social theme.

I was lucky to see ASPECTS OF LOVE when it played on Broadway with Michael Ball. Fifteen years later, Michael will be back on Broadway in another ALW musical THE WOMAN IN WHITE. The latter show reminds one of Aspects because of the romantic and lush musical score and the sung-through format. I like how recitatives are used to move the story along.

Unfortunately, songs from The Beautiful Game were not yet composed when The ALW 50th Birthday Celebration show was put on DVD/video. This must be the best collection of ALW songs from all his musicals that have been released in one DVD.

MyNameInLights Profile Photo
MyNameInLights
#74re: Whats your favorite Andrew Lloyd Webber musical???
Posted: 9/7/05 at 2:44am

Evita and Starlight Express. I GREW UP on Starlight Express. I don't care if no one else in the free world loves it!

"The stage is where I live and come alive and act out all the things that go on in my life. It's not just what I do for a living, it's my shrink and my love affair. No one in my life has ever or ever will kiss me on the mouth like this lover called my relationship with my performance."