pixeltracker

Maria going on as Elphaba tonight

Maria going on as Elphaba tonight

Broadwaypianist
#0Maria going on as Elphaba tonight
Posted: 10/9/05 at 6:52pm

Maria Eberline will be performing as Elphaba tonight in Dallas, TX.

**Please note that i do not know why Stephanie is not performing**

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#1re: Maria going on as Elphaba tonight
Posted: 10/9/05 at 7:21pm

I saw Maria once in L.A. and the show is in good hands. All the best to her tonight!!

charliebrown975 Profile Photo
charliebrown975
#2re: Maria going on as Elphaba tonight
Posted: 10/9/05 at 7:36pm

Stephanie probably hurt her back again...She's had recurring back problems and when I saw her in L.A. she had hurt herself during the show and had a back-brace on when she came out to great the fans...

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#3re: Maria going on as Elphaba tonight
Posted: 10/9/05 at 7:45pm

oh goodness, I hope that's not the case...

May I request we don't turn this thread into a rumor-fest? We can all speculate but what's the point? Let's just understand that these things happen and look forward to her quick return.

Bret Profile Photo
Bret
#4re: Maria going on as Elphaba tonight
Posted: 10/9/05 at 9:02pm

Best wishes to both Maria (for a good performance) and to Stephanie(for a speedy recovery of whatever ails her). I hope I get to see Stephanie(yes, I realize understudies are good sometimes, but I've been dying to see Steph!)

"Wherever you go... I'll be right there. When you get your own private kick in the ass, just remember: it's a present from me to you." Rose's dying words to Louise

elphabagreen Profile Photo
elphabagreen
#5re: Maria going on as Elphaba tonight
Posted: 10/9/05 at 10:14pm

maria must be great as elphaba is shes a stand by

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#6re: Maria going on as Elphaba tonight
Posted: 10/9/05 at 10:19pm

I know this will sound funny but the part after "Wonderful" where the monkeys are freed and she finds Dillamond is great, her acting really stood out there to me. It was definitely a great moment for her.
Updated On: 10/9/05 at 10:19 PM

RentBoy86
#7re: Maria going on as Elphaba tonight
Posted: 10/9/05 at 10:22pm

So Jenna doesn't go on? I"m confused how all that works?

almostxfamous Profile Photo
almostxfamous
#8re: Maria going on as Elphaba tonight
Posted: 10/9/05 at 10:29pm

I believe Maria's the standby and Jenna's the understudy. Meaning Jenna goes on when Maria can't. The standby is 1st, then the understudy.

Link Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
#9re: Maria going on as Elphaba tonight
Posted: 10/9/05 at 10:34pm

almostxfamous,

I think there is more to it than that. Each of them can only go on for so many times before Equity rules state that the other has to go on. And I know Jenna actually went on at least three times as Elphaba before Maria ever did.

Akiva

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#10re: Maria going on as Elphaba tonight
Posted: 10/9/05 at 10:35pm

I'm not sure how it works because if Jenna goes on, I assume Maria goes on as Nessarose. Which means that if Maria is physically able to go on as Nessarose she can do Elphaba as well... maybe they take turns?

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#11re: Maria going on as Elphaba tonight
Posted: 10/9/05 at 11:08pm

Jenna and Maria are both understudies for Elphaba. Neither one is a standby. Maria is one of the understudies for Nessarose as well.

defygravity2 Profile Photo
defygravity2
#12re: Maria going on as Elphaba tonight
Posted: 10/9/05 at 11:56pm

I saw Maria as Elphaba....I have seen Wicked four times, and she was my third (out of four) favorite. Loved Steph and Idina better.
She is definitely very nice at the stagedoor...and a very good performer...I'm sure the audience wasn't disappointed!

RentBoy86
#13re: Maria going on as Elphaba tonight
Posted: 10/9/05 at 11:59pm

Any pics of her? I'd love to see what she looks like.

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#14re: Maria going on as Elphaba tonight
Posted: 10/10/05 at 12:09am

Here are some...
Pics

admanrich Profile Photo
admanrich
#15re: Maria going on as Elphaba tonight
Posted: 10/10/05 at 12:23am

Isn't Jenna on vacation? Maybe thats why Maria's going on since she would be the only understudy available.

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#16re: Maria going on as Elphaba tonight
Posted: 10/10/05 at 12:27am

This i believe is true.

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

Rentaholic2
#17re: Maria going on as Elphaba tonight
Posted: 10/10/05 at 1:13am

I was in Dallas for the Texas/OU game and was very lucky to get tickets from someone who needed to sell...great seats too, and I saw Stephanie Saturday night. It was funny, as the curtain was going down after the bows, Stephanie made a terrible face and did the Hook 'em Horns sign with her hands pointing down (meaning she is NOT a UT fan). It was random and kindof funny (even though I'm a UT student), did she go to OU?

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#18re: Maria going on as Elphaba tonight
Posted: 10/10/05 at 1:17am

Pitty hardly any theatre person would understand that

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#19re: Maria going on as Elphaba tonight
Posted: 10/10/05 at 11:34am

She definitely didn't go there, but that's funny... perhaps an inside joke for some people she knew in the audience? And I'm sure in a huge sports State like Texas, more people understood than we may think.

Galilee Profile Photo
Galilee
#20re: Maria going on as Elphaba tonight
Posted: 10/10/05 at 5:54pm

I can tell y'all that she probably didn't mean it in the negative...Unless someone told her what that meant. She more than likely was trying to get the UT sign in for people to see before the curtain went down. She's not one to put people down. Especially in their own home.
Updated On: 10/10/05 at 05:54 PM

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#21re: Maria going on as Elphaba tonight
Posted: 10/11/05 at 12:30am

I agree, I very much doubt she meant anything negative by it.
If anyone is going tomorrow please let us know if she's back in the show!

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#22re: Maria going on as Elphaba tonight
Posted: 10/11/05 at 1:24am

Sorry to bump this again but thought you may want to read what Maria wrote on one of her sites in response to how it's decided who goes on as Elphaba when Steph is out..

"Actually WE don't decide--stage management does. They alternate us--Jenna went on the last time Eden was out in San Francisco. I went on this time. It's a little more complicated with Nessarose, as there are 3 covers now (little-known fact). Laura Dysarcyzk, one of our swings, is a new Nessa cover. Jenna goes on vacation this week, so Laura will be getting most of the performances since she is new to the role. I'll be getting the Wedneday night and Sunday matinee performances next week, and Lori Holmes will get a couple of Nessa shows, as well. The company tries to stay pretty fair about alternating understudies so that we all get a chance to go on-so there's no first cover/second cover thing on the tour."

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#23re: Maria going on as Elphaba tonight
Posted: 10/12/05 at 4:47pm

In regards to the UT sign... this is what someone wrote in her Live Journal:

"When I met her Sat. afternoon after the show she asked who won the game. When someone said "Texas" she gave a little cheer and gave the "Hook 'Em Horns" the correct way. It might have been trying to beat the curtain that evening! re: Maria going on as Elphaba tonight"

Diva Doll
#24re: Maria going on as Elphaba tonight
Posted: 10/12/05 at 6:17pm

I did hear that she was back in on Tuesday night. Never heard why she was out on Sunday. Oh well.

Videos