News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Kismet at Encores!

marincrazy11 Profile Photo
marincrazy11
#0Kismet at Encores!
Posted: 11/1/05 at 12:25pm

We all know about Marin and BSM but I was checking the audition notice on equity's website yesterday and noticed that Marsinah has also been cast now. Any word on who it might be or who it is?

"Did you know that if you take the first two vowels in Olive and rearrange them it spells I-Love?"-Spelling Bee "It's night like this that hotel bars were specifically made." Light In The Piazza

IssaMe
#1re: Kismet at Encores!
Posted: 11/2/05 at 11:50am

Isn't it going to be Marcy Harriell?

touchmeinthemorning
#2re: Kismet at Encores!
Posted: 11/2/05 at 12:08pm

I can't wait to see what they do with the line "Baghdad, don't underestimate Baghdad"

"Fundamentalism means never having to say 'I'm wrong.'" -- unknown

Avigdor Profile Photo
Avigdor
#3re: Kismet at Encores!
Posted: 11/2/05 at 12:14pm

who is she.

Doogie Profile Photo
Doogie
#4re: Kismet at Encores!
Posted: 12/15/05 at 11:39pm

Is it confirmed that its Marcy Harriell... I remember also reading Danny Gurwin has been cast as the Caliph...

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#5re: Kismet at Encores!
Posted: 12/15/05 at 11:44pm

yay, Marcy!

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#6re: Kismet at Encores!
Posted: 12/15/05 at 11:47pm

omg! i wish i was in ny to see this!
that is a great cast. marin and bsm have such a great chemistry together!
and marcy harriell as marsinah? wonderful choice!
when is this?

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#7re: Kismet at Encores!
Posted: 12/16/05 at 12:13am

I'd have to imagine the "Bagdad" lyrics will stay, and get a huge reaction. "Not Since Nineveh" indeed.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#8re: Kismet at Encores!
Posted: 12/16/05 at 6:25am

I'm not sure if they've officially "confirmed" it or not, but it will be Danny Gurwin and Marcy Harriell. Great cast!

Jon
#9re: Kismet at Encores!
Posted: 12/16/05 at 7:55am

I'd like to see Marc Kudisch as the Wazir. He makes a great comic villain.

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#10re: Kismet at Encores!
Posted: 12/17/05 at 3:54am

This is great! I adore "Kismet", I did, however, Enjoy it even more as "Timbuktu!" with Miss Eartha Kitt as Sahleem-La-Lume!
see: http://www.mtishows.com/show_songs.asp?ID=000203
(No - That is NOT Kitt on the vocals, She was absolutely GRAND though, and they gave all her numbers a "tibal beat" undertone, similar to when you hear the beat of "Moving Uptown" from TWP begin - I wish I had a time machine to take everyone back with me to have seen this!)

"It is bad enough that people are dying of AIDS, but no one should die of ignorance." - Elizabeth Taylor
Updated On: 12/17/05 at 03:54 AM

MargoChanning
#11re: Kismet at Encores!
Posted: 12/17/05 at 4:16am

FYI -- The Broadway By The Year series is doing the Musicals of 1978 on June 19th at 8pm. One of the shows listed -- TIMBUKTU! I was a kid at the time, but I certainly remember seeing it on its pre-Broadway tour at the Kennedy Center back then. Miss Kitt was fabulous!

It will likely be a fun evening (along with numbers from Whorehouse, On the Twentieth Century, Ballroom, Eubie!, Working etc....)

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#12re: Kismet at Encores!
Posted: 12/17/05 at 4:30am

WOW, Thanks so much Margo!! I even wondered if there ever was any footage left from that show... I knew someone once who owned the promo record and it had both of Kitt's big songs from that on them, and I still say that was the BEST entrance I have ever seen done by a woman onstage, It was something, and I am so happy you saw it too - You deserve that because it truly was a fine time! I cannot wait for this now, Thanks again!!

"It is bad enough that people are dying of AIDS, but no one should die of ignorance." - Elizabeth Taylor

Dollypop
#13re: Kismet at Encores!
Posted: 12/17/05 at 9:00am

Why do people forget that Melba Moore was also in TIMBUKTU?

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#14re: Kismet at Encores!
Posted: 12/17/05 at 11:59am

I never forget that Miss Melba was in TIMBUKTU! as well, But it was Eartha's time to shine, Just as it was Melba's time to shine in "PURLIE". There will never be another Lutibelle Gussie Mae Jenkins! Melba owns that role! (Truth be told, Melba was a tad bitter about Eartha stealing all the thunder in TIMBUKTU!, I recall Melba saying something to the effect "This Isn't an Eartha Kitt Concert!", LOL but true!)

Videos