JAI RODRIGUEZ in THE PRODUCERS

iluvtheatertrash
#0JAI RODRIGUEZ in THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 11/10/05 at 10:07am

Wasn't there talk of him taking on Leo Bloom? But when I looked up the show on Broadway.com, it says he's playing Carmen Ghia. Did I miss something here?

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

Fosse76
#1re: JAI RODRIGUEZ in THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 11/10/05 at 10:09am

He was never going to play Leo Bloom.

MissNY
#2re: JAI RODRIGUEZ in THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 11/10/05 at 10:11am

I dont remember any talk of him being Leo, and I really can't see it happening. I saw him as Carmen this week. He was good, but not great. It's only his second week so I'm sure he will get a lot better.

iluvtheatertrash
#3re: JAI RODRIGUEZ in THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 11/10/05 at 10:36am

Oh. Drats.

Well, whatever. I *STILL* have to see the show again.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

RabbitRun Profile Photo
RabbitRun
#4re: JAI RODRIGUEZ in THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 11/10/05 at 11:18am

MissNY - How was the chemistry between Beach & Rodriguez?

#5re: JAI RODRIGUEZ in THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 11/10/05 at 12:48pm

Beach was out the night MissNY & I saw it.

MissNY
#6re: JAI RODRIGUEZ in THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 11/10/05 at 3:00pm

Yup, Beach was out and Jim Borstelmann was in. I have to say that Jim made an incredible Roger. I enjoyed him more than I did Gary who I saw a few months ago.

Jon
#7re: JAI RODRIGUEZ in THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 11/10/05 at 3:57pm

And in the movie, he's "Sabu".

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#8re: JAI RODRIGUEZ in THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 11/10/05 at 4:01pm

Jim is an amazing Roger. He was the first one that I saw. I'd say he's just as good as the wonderful Gary Beach. Leauges better than Jonathan Freeman.
Updated On: 11/10/05 at 04:01 PM

BialyBloomInc02
#9re: JAI RODRIGUEZ in THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 11/10/05 at 8:38pm

Hey there, just thought I'd chime in as well.

I was at the show again Tuesday night, Gary was out (this is the 2nd time I've missed him since his return) and Jim went on as Roger. Wow. Just unbelievable! His Springtime was so fresh and wonderful! He had the audience all riled up from the getgo..he was fabulous..although vocally not as strong as Gary, he definitely held his own (right up there with Gary's wonderful take)! Miles beyond Jonathan Freeman (who I didn't care for at all) I had seen Jim in The Producers as Roger back in summer 2003 and was quite impressed then, but seeing him again the other night just reaffirmed how incredible a performer he is. I hope Gary returns soon though, I'd love to catch him again before the holidays!
Jai Rodrigeuz was fine as Carmen. He made all the marks, but was certainly no revelation..its only his 2nd week though, so I'm sure he'll grow (hopefully!) Having seen Roger Bart and Brad Musgrove in the roles made me really miss them the other night! Jai got the laughs, but I'm not sure he understands the character.
Long live The Producers!
Updated On: 11/10/05 at 08:38 PM

sweetie2
#10re: JAI RODRIGUEZ in THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 11/10/05 at 8:51pm

Saw The Producers on Nov. 1.... Jai's first night. He was good, a lot funnier than I expected. I'm sure he'll get better as he gets more comfortable in the role. There was a lot of good chemistry between him and Gary Beach (who was terrific). Does anyone know how long Jai is suppose to be in it?

Fosse76
#11re: JAI RODRIGUEZ in THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 11/11/05 at 12:16am

Saw The Producers this evening. Jai is unimpressive in this part, and he's so stereotypically gay that it is amazing how bland he was in this. But he does look cute up there! How long is he supposed to be in the show?

timote316
#12re: JAI RODRIGUEZ in THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 11/11/05 at 12:44am

Is he a Leo understudy? I know typically Carmen is the first in line.

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#13re: JAI RODRIGUEZ in THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 11/11/05 at 3:04am

Yes, Jai will indeed grow, He's a grower not a shower kind of performer. He grows on you. Did they cancel "Queer Eye" or something?

"It is bad enough that people are dying of AIDS, but no one should die of ignorance." - Elizabeth Taylor

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#14re: JAI RODRIGUEZ in THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 11/11/05 at 3:06am

Queer Eye is on hiatus.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#15re: JAI RODRIGUEZ in THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 11/11/05 at 9:43am

Go figure Jai is play a flamming homo.... how can he not be good in this role....

Don't get me wrong i mean i am gay but please, this is bs....

JasonGreen
#16re: JAI RODRIGUEZ in THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 11/11/05 at 9:54am

Jai isn't a Leo understudy. The only Carmen (on b'way) who ever covered Leo was Brooks Ashmanskas.

Fosse76
#17re: JAI RODRIGUEZ in THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 11/11/05 at 9:59am

Didn't Roger Bart also cover Leo at some point before taking over the role?

JasonGreen
#18re: JAI RODRIGUEZ in THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 11/11/05 at 10:07am

No, Roger never actually understudied Leo when he was playing Carmen. I know on tour they often did right? For some reason Brooks was the first in the NY cast.

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#19re: JAI RODRIGUEZ in THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 11/11/05 at 10:58am

Didn't Roger Bart rejoin the cast as Carmem with Nathan and Matthew the second time? I know he was the standby for Matthew, but I think he also played Carmen.

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#20re: JAI RODRIGUEZ in THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 11/11/05 at 11:12am

Roger's been in the show periodically...he was Leo to the Maxes of Brad Oscar and Richard Kind (when Kind's former TV co-star was canned..his name escapes me). I don't THINK hes been Carmen since N&M2.

Glad to hear the reports about Jim. He's terrific - "the secret weapon" of the show. Is he the last of the 'old guard' that are still there? Are Kathy & Madeline still in the cast?
And how is JT as Max?

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"

JasonGreen
#21re: JAI RODRIGUEZ in THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 11/11/05 at 11:25am

Alan Ruck was canned?!

JT is super. Yes, Kathy & Madeleine are still with the show. Kimberly Hester is an original too.

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#22re: JAI RODRIGUEZ in THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 11/11/05 at 11:42am

I hear he wanted more money. The powers that be said no thanks. And that was that.

Glad to hear about Madeline etc. Her "Hold Me, Touch Me" is unsurpassed. "Heeeeeeeeellp! Heeeeeeelllp!"

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"
Updated On: 11/11/05 at 11:42 AM

Fosse76
#23re: JAI RODRIGUEZ in THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 11/11/05 at 11:43am

Eric Gunhus (I know I spelled that wrong) is still there as well. There seem to be quite a few people from the original cast still in the show.

JasonGreen
#24re: JAI RODRIGUEZ in THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 11/11/05 at 11:45am

Interesting. My good friend works there and didn't know anything about that, but she did say his attendance record was terrible.

Madeleine is indeed funny as hell.

Videos