Drowsy Chaperone Premier

FrancisGumm Profile Photo
FrancisGumm
#0Drowsy Chaperone Premier
Posted: 11/19/05 at 12:11am

Drowsy Chaperone Premier

I'm suprised there is no news yet on this aside from a playbill.com article. anyone? bueller? will there be photo coverage from la based broadwayworld photographes? or anyoen for that matter?

"Beating AIDS and extreme, stupid poverty, this is our moon shot. This is our civil rights struggle, our anti-apartheid movement. This is what the history books will remember our generation for--or blame us for, if we fail."-Bono
Updated On: 11/19/05 at 12:11 AM

mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
#1re: Drowsy Chaperone Premier
Posted: 11/19/05 at 11:12am

I don't know how Opening Night went but I saw the final preview on Thursday and the show is in fabulous shape. The audience never stopped laughing. Sutton, her wrist in a cast, did one-handed cartwheels!! and sang up a storm. Beth Leavell was hysterical as the dipsomaniacal chaperone and Eddie Korbich stole every scene he was in. But the entire cast was pitch-perfect. Bob Martin, the Man in Chair, got a well-deserved standing O when he took his bow. A great night at the theater.

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!

FrancisGumm
#2re: Drowsy Chaperone Premier
Posted: 11/19/05 at 11:50am

YAY thanks! im excited! is her cast big or what? it seems like it would be a kodak moment-her w/the one handed cartwheel

"Beating AIDS and extreme, stupid poverty, this is our moon shot. This is our civil rights struggle, our anti-apartheid movement. This is what the history books will remember our generation for--or blame us for, if we fail."-Bono

FrancisGumm
#3re: Drowsy Chaperone Premier
Posted: 11/19/05 at 11:50am

YAY thanks! im excited! is her cast big or what? it seems like it would be a kodak moment-her w/the one handed cartwheel

mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
#4re: Drowsy Chaperone Premier
Posted: 11/19/05 at 12:57pm

In fact she does about four one-handed cartwheels in the course of the number, appropriately called "Showoff". The wrist cast is small but clearly noticable through her many costume changes.

nomdeplume
#5re: Drowsy Chaperone Premiere
Posted: 11/19/05 at 12:59pm

Danny Burstein is in it--he's great!

GClef2 Profile Photo
GClef2
#6re: Drowsy Chaperone Premiere
Posted: 11/19/05 at 1:08pm

She looks absolutely amazing. I just adore her. People who have seen it all seem to agree, the part screams for a (nother) tony.

"The only way we live beyond our lives is to connect and carve ourselves into the souls of those we love." -Little Fish

mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
#7re: Drowsy Chaperone Premiere
Posted: 11/19/05 at 3:10pm

As great as Sutton is, it's more of an ensemble piece than we're used to seeing her in. The show is NOT built around her character so, in fact, everyone gets a chance to shine. If a Tony emerges from this show - assuming it's Broadway bound - it will be for a featured player or for Bob Martin, the Man in Chair.

And, yes, Danny Burstein is hilarious as the Latin Lover.

JoMarch Profile Photo
JoMarch
#8re: Drowsy Chaperone Premiere
Posted: 11/19/05 at 4:25pm

Am I the only one who sees an eerie similarity between Sutton and a young Mary Tyler Moore? It's almost creepy how much they look alike!

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#9re: Drowsy Chaperone Premiere
Posted: 11/19/05 at 4:28pm

I was thinking the same thing JoMarch.

Huey's Pop Profile Photo
Huey's Pop
#10re: Drowsy Chaperone Premiere
Posted: 11/19/05 at 8:15pm

I just saw the November 19 matinee of Drowsy Chaperone.

WOW! Wonderful show -- great cast, music. Funny funny stuff. Should do very well on Broadway. Sutton Foster's big number is amazing. The cast on her arm didn't seem to stop her at all.

Highly recommended.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#11re: Drowsy Chaperone Premiere
Posted: 11/19/05 at 8:23pm

Huey's Pop---I was there today at the matinee as well. One of the most brilliant and imaginative shows I've seen in years. All the advance "raves" you've heard are true.

WARNING: Don't let anyone tell you much about it. This show is for everyone who ever loved a Broadway musical... so basically that's all of you reading this. To say more would be to ruin an extraordinary and deeply personal theatrical experience.

Details? Sure I can give them to you, but I would be doing you a great disservice. Everyone in the cast is fantastic, and there will be critical praise, many Tony nominations, and a shelf-full of awards. To tell you more would be to spoil some of the many innovations and surprises.

Run, don't walk to this one. And if you can't see it in L.A., try your best not to read too much about it in advance.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 11/19/05 at 08:23 PM

where's my shoe?
#12re: Drowsy Chaperone Premiere
Posted: 11/19/05 at 8:32pm

My mom and I both commented on Sutton's resemblance to Mary Tyler Moore at the showlast week. In fact, I noticed the resemlance in Millie.

"I am concocting a seduction. I do not require a patissiere."-Boston Marriage

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#13re: Drowsy Chaperone Premiere
Posted: 11/19/05 at 8:42pm

Is this definitely coming to Broadway?

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#14re: Drowsy Chaperone Premiere
Posted: 11/19/05 at 8:47pm

little_sally---This entire production could be lifted in tact and placed on a Broadway stage right now "as is" and start a major stampede.

I looked all through my program to see if there was any mention of it being "pre-Broadway" and I couldn't find it.

All I know is that if I had a few extra million in my pocket, I would invest in a sure-fire, guaranteed hit. If they need any financial boosts or momentum to get to New York, I guarantee you they will find it with this production in L.A.

The word-of-mouth on this is going to be HUGE.

Updated On: 11/19/05 at 08:47 PM

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#15re: Drowsy Chaperone Premiere
Posted: 11/19/05 at 9:09pm

re: Drowsy Chaperone Premiere

The Ahmanson website desribes the show as "From the Ahmanson to Broadway. A new and completely original musical!"

The Drowsy Chaperone Updated On: 11/19/05 at 09:09 PM

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#16re: Drowsy Chaperone Premiere
Posted: 11/19/05 at 9:11pm

Here's s great website on the show. You can even view the commercial.

The Drowsy Chaperone Updated On: 11/19/05 at 09:11 PM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#17re: Drowsy Chaperone Premiere
Posted: 11/19/05 at 9:12pm

morosco---Thanks for that! To have this show not reach Broadway would be a crime against all lovers of musical theatre.

(God, that sounded bombastic, but after you see it... you'll know exactly why I said that.)

nomdeplume
#18re: Drowsy Chaperone Premiere
Posted: 11/19/05 at 9:35pm

I'll bet it has a great score...

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#19re: Drowsy Chaperone Premiere
Posted: 11/19/05 at 9:38pm

It definitely does... it manages to be an old-fashioned toe-tapper and extremely innovative at the same time. God, I wish I could give you more details...

...but I wouldn't respect myself in the morning.

mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
#20re: Drowsy Chaperone Premiere
Posted: 11/19/05 at 9:42pm

I notice that no one comments on the score. It's fun and servicable and keeps the laughs coming but the score isn't what makes this show work. This is one you're going to have to see to appreciate - the OBC album, if there is one, is not going to do this show justice.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#21re: Drowsy Chaperone Premiere
Posted: 11/19/05 at 10:05pm

mallardo---it's more than just fun and serviceable. But you're absolutely right that the music & lyrics are completely overshadowed by the show's innovative concept. As it should be (again, once you see this musical, you'll know why I say that).

Taken on its own merits, it sounds like a melodious, tuneful hit show from 1928. But if you think it's a snap to write one of those believably, I disagree.

That said... AFTER seeing the show, this OBCR will have a significant meaning all its own for you. (Again, you'll get that after you see the show. Okay, I'm repeating myself a lot.)

Updated On: 11/19/05 at 10:05 PM

mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
#22re: Drowsy Chaperone Premiere
Posted: 11/19/05 at 10:23pm

best12bars, I didn't mean to denigrate the score. I agree with you on almost everything you've said. AFTER you've seen the show, it'll be a great CD - if you haven't seen it... let's say it will not have its proper impact because for THIS show, context is everything.

nomdeplume
#23re: Drowsy Chaperone Premiere
Posted: 11/19/05 at 10:45pm

The same could be said of The Light in the Piazza score.

Huey's Pop Profile Photo
Huey's Pop
#24re: Drowsy Chaperone Premiere
Posted: 11/19/05 at 11:31pm

I identified with The Man in the Chair. I've been listening to broadway shows for 45+ years and am very passionate about them.

Brilliant show!