What they could've cut

ShuQ Profile Photo
ShuQ
#0What they could've cut
Posted: 11/25/05 at 12:21am

What did you guys think could have been cut from the RENT film and why?

My choice...One Song Glory. They didn't develop Roger's depression very much and it just seemed pointless. I felt like it made the beginning of the film go much slower.

Radioactiveduck Profile Photo
Radioactiveduck
#1re: What they could've cut
Posted: 11/25/05 at 12:56am

This is going to sound sacreligious, but "Seasons of Love" was kinda pointless in the film. It's position and purpose in the stage show are great, but it was odd to have the movie start with that song.

YankeesFan175
#2re: What they could've cut
Posted: 11/25/05 at 1:00am

i think one song glory was very necessary. it provided insight to his past. they should have made it clear that april comitts suicide, though. but still, its pretty obvious he is hurting.

to answer your question though, i dont think anything shouldve been cut. every song was pretty necessary, so was every dialogue scene. i really couldnt pick anything to actually cut. probably b/c i loved every minute of the movie.

Bob: "there is a chance, albeit a microscopic one, that our baby at some point in his or her formative years will get lodged in a tree" ~Related~

BluCat500 Profile Photo
BluCat500
#3re: What they could've cut
Posted: 11/25/05 at 1:05am

I think the scene at Alexi Darling's office wasn't particularly integral...the stage show certainly survives without it...

So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life.~Office Space

ajayspak2 Profile Photo
ajayspak2
#4re: What they could've cut
Posted: 11/25/05 at 1:29am

One Song Glory is imperative to the narrative, so i disagree with you on cutting it. I agree the absence of April's suicide letting Roger know he has AIDS; two huge blows at once, did not give Adam the motivation needed to be as angry, depressed and detached from the world as he should be made his performance kinda bland, so in essence i understand your disappointment with Glory but i don't agree that it should have been cut. What definitely should have been cut was Roger going to Life Support, completely out of character and that horrible Cliff shot of Roger in What You Own.

Kringas
#5re: What they could've cut
Posted: 11/25/05 at 2:59am

"Santa Fe" could have been plucked right from it and it wouldn't have changed a thing.

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

EvelynNesbit1906 Profile Photo
EvelynNesbit1906
#6re: What they could've cut
Posted: 11/25/05 at 3:00am

The beginning, middle and end. Wait fifteen more years. Then it would've been a more believable period piece with greater interest from great writers and directors.

Radioactiveduck Profile Photo
Radioactiveduck
#7re: What they could've cut
Posted: 11/25/05 at 3:00am

"the absence of April's suicide letting Roger know he has AIDS"

I thought I remembered that from the show, and I was confused when I didn't see it in the movie. It's so beautifully tragic, I'm suprised they cut it.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#8re: What they could've cut
Posted: 11/25/05 at 3:03am

Santa Fe was extremely pointless in the movie, and honestly it's the only song in the score that I can't stand. I agree that Seasons of Love should've been cut if Columbus couldn't find a way to integrate it in the actual plot. And yes, the cliff shot was sooo Britney Spears-like, sad. I did love the film though, but yeah, there's a couple of things here and there that could've been cut.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

sidneybruhl Profile Photo
sidneybruhl
#9re: What they could've cut
Posted: 11/25/05 at 3:16am

I have to diagree with the insignifcance of "Santa Fe." I feel the song is important as it shows the audience how these characters yearn for something other than NYC. I found the song to be a high point of the film. Columbus films it well and Martin's performance of it is excellent. As for the original question, I wouldn't cut a note. I went to see the film a second time today with my brother who has never seen the show or heard the music before. He loved it! He now says he'd love to see it on stage and wants to buy the soundtrack.

dmb_rent
#10re: What they could've cut
Posted: 11/25/05 at 3:17am

But that Santa Fe scene on the subway was great! Unless you're referring to Bon Jovi driving in the car headed there.

"I would rather take a flawed movie that has as much heart and passion and life and joy and energy and truth in it as this film does over any film that is completely perfectly presented and perfectly constructed but has none of that heart and life." -Anthony Rapp

dmb_rent
#11re: What they could've cut
Posted: 11/25/05 at 3:21am

"Wait fifteen more years. Then it would've been a more believable period piece with greater interest from great writers and directors."

Yeah to a degree I have to agree with this...not the waiting part but...on film it seems pointless to have it set in 1989-1990. The story could be set in our current year and still be as effective dramatically. If I didn't know the story, and I didn't hear Mark say it was 1989, I WOULD have thought it was set in present day. It doesn't really look very late 80s? Except for possibly the use of beepers instead of cell phones. ::shrug::

"I would rather take a flawed movie that has as much heart and passion and life and joy and energy and truth in it as this film does over any film that is completely perfectly presented and perfectly constructed but has none of that heart and life." -Anthony Rapp
Updated On: 11/25/05 at 03:21 AM

ShuQ Profile Photo
ShuQ
#12re: What they could've cut
Posted: 11/25/05 at 3:24am

I can definitely see where you're coming from saying "Santa Fe" should've been cut, but I think it was a great number. Whether it was integral to the story or not, it still made me smile, a lot.

And I felt like Roger traveling to NM in What You Own was just too far out there. I felt like I was watching a different movie. I loved the end of the song when he came back, but it was just like all of a sudden the movie turned into a Ricky Martin music video and then went back to normal.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#13re: What they could've cut
Posted: 11/25/05 at 3:28am

Santa Fe was a great number in the movie and was well-shot, I just think it's irrelevant to the plot and that the song does not compare to the rest of the score, just my very personal opinion.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

ontheskyway
#14re: What they could've cut
Posted: 11/25/05 at 3:30am

As much as I enjoy the song, I thought "You'll See Boys" could have been re-written as dialogue.

The story could be set in our current year and still be as effective dramatically.
I have to disagree. In order to understand Rent, you have to believe that AIDS is a death sentence for these characters and that they are trying to cope. AIDS isn't as "scary" (for a lack of a better word..) as it was back in the late 80's/early 90's - we know more about AIDS now and we have better treatment for it.

dmb_rent
#15re: What they could've cut
Posted: 11/25/05 at 4:01am

"AIDS is a death sentence for these characters and that they are trying to cope. AIDS isn't as "scary" (for a lack of a better word..) as it was back in the late 80's/early 90's - we know more about AIDS now and we have better treatment for it."

I agree, but...do the characters in the film really seem that scared of the disease? I don't think so. Scratch that, I mean...they seem no less scared of the disease than someone that would have the disease today. Honestly, they seem to be coping just fine with the disease. "This body provides a comfortable home..."

MUNKY Profile Photo
MUNKY
#16re: What they could've cut
Posted: 11/25/05 at 8:21am

Cut a song that would not have made any difference in the film. I did like Santa Fe, it was cute. But it is a possible choice, and if that was cut, What You Own should have been cut along with it.

"Now I may not have much, but I have more determination than any man you're likely to meet." - Big Fish
"Misdirection. What the eyes see and the ears hear, the mind believes." - Swordfish

Chloe Profile Photo
Chloe
#17re: What they could've cut
Posted: 11/25/05 at 1:32pm

I don't want anything cut, but would be happy with ten more minutes.

Over_the_Moon
#18re: What they could've cut
Posted: 11/25/05 at 1:38pm

Off topic question-

Why is there a shot where Roger is standing in Santa Fe with his guitar?

"It's true you sold your guitar and bought a car?"
"It's true--I'm leaving now for Santa Fe."

"what have we learned? Don't smoke... don't do drugs and don't sing 'Defying Gravity'." -CATSNYRevival

dmb_rent
#19re: What they could've cut
Posted: 11/25/05 at 1:43pm

Because he sold his car and bought another guitar?

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#20re: What they could've cut
Posted: 11/25/05 at 1:45pm

If they were going to cut Goodbye Love, then they needed to get rid of What You Own too. It's one of my favorite songs, but without Goodbye Love, it didn't make any sense and was almost laughable.

I would have sat for three more minutes for Goodbye Love, whether it was badly staged or not. I feel like the end of the movie didn't work without it.

"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

Videos