Shut Up Patti Lupone!

Isabella2
#0Shut Up Patti Lupone!
Posted: 12/8/05 at 12:04am

I was just curious as to why some people have this quote at the bottom of their posts:

"Shut up, Patti LuPone! Shut your brassy, beautiful trap! I don't want to hear you sing "Don't Cry For Me Argentina"! I don't want to cut your hair! And I *certainly* don't want to hear you sing while I cut your hair!"

I've seen at least 3 people with this quote. I have a feeling that it's not actually making fun of her and I think it's funny. But I'm just curious, where did it come from, who said it and why? I'm a huge fan of Patti Lupone so I just want to know if I'm missing anything.

PJ
#1re: Shut Up Patti Lupone!
Posted: 12/8/05 at 12:08am

It's from an episode of Will & Grace.

Isabella2
#2re: Shut Up Patti Lupone!
Posted: 12/8/05 at 12:10am

interesting. Which episode?

C is for Company
#3re: Shut Up Patti Lupone!
Posted: 12/8/05 at 12:11am

I, being a proud bearer of the quote, LOVE patti lupone and when I saw the will and grace episode where she sits right behind Jack at a restaurant when he is spending time with Will, I knew this quote needed a user to signify it :) It is to date my favorite episode because her appearance is just priceless about her thinking she is responsible for the whole east village and once Jack tells her off "They either love me or they hate me" and just goes back to eating. Hysterical show, you just had to see that one
edit; to go more into depth, jack makes wigs out of the broadway divas and had previously made a golden girls wig too. Apparently Rue McClanahan was a "screamer"

Updated On: 12/8/05 at 12:11 AM

YayJudyYayJudy Profile Photo
YayJudyYayJudy
#4re: Shut Up Patti Lupone!
Posted: 12/8/05 at 12:12am

the "Jack makes a Broadway Diva Wig" episode... it's exact title, who knows... but that's the basic sub-plot.

It also features a fantastic cameo by Ms. Lupone herself

proudly changing my name frequently since 2004

chances are AndyF is posting above or below me...

"THIS is how you dress for the Tony's, get it!? Ok, see you at the after-party..." [YAHM]

Isabella2
#5re: Shut Up Patti Lupone!
Posted: 12/8/05 at 12:12am

thanks guys!

DancNdaMoonlite Profile Photo
DancNdaMoonlite
#6re: Shut Up Patti Lupone!
Posted: 12/8/05 at 12:17am

I don't know what it's called but in the episode Jack is putting together a wig of broadway divas' hair and the only hair he still needs is Patti Lupone's. Will is mad at Jack for never listening to him or something, so they go out to dinner and Jack promises to listen and not get distracted no matter what. Then Patti Lupone shows up at the restaurant and one of the waiters asks if she would sing and she says something like, "well let me just ask these men if that's alright" and she keeps trying to ask Jack if he doesn't mind her singing and he's trying really hard to ignore her and then he just snaps and says, "Shut Up Patti Lupone..."

Its a really funny episode..

C is for Company
#7re: Shut Up Patti Lupone!
Posted: 12/8/05 at 12:22am

Oh and of course the waiter raving over her saying that he saw her in Evita in hs and came out by intermission lmao. Oh and during the credits, she was at a piano singing "Dont cry for me Argentina" as jack went behind her with the scissors

bwayrocks_ca Profile Photo
bwayrocks_ca
#8re: Shut Up Patti Lupone!
Posted: 12/8/05 at 3:10am

"I'm sorry... My head was practically in your lap... So, did I get the part?"

So funny! Gotta love Patti!

BroadwayRandy0711 Profile Photo
BroadwayRandy0711
#9re: Shut Up Patti Lupone!
Posted: 12/8/05 at 6:39am

This has to be one of the funniest shows recently. Jack telling Patti to "Shut Up" is hysterical.

kasim Profile Photo
kasim
#10re: Shut Up Patti Lupone!
Posted: 12/8/05 at 8:39am

man i sooo wish i could have seen that episdoe!!!

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#11re: Shut Up Patti Lupone!
Posted: 12/8/05 at 9:11am

Its my favorite episode....because of the whole "Patti" freakout. If someone could tell me how to post it here, I will. And actually, the quote is slightly wrong. Its really:

"Shut up, Patti LuPone! Shut your brassy, magnificant trap! I don't want to hear you sing, I don't want to cut your hair! And I *certainly* don't want to hear you sing while I cut your hair!"

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

kgee30
#12re: Shut Up Patti Lupone!
Posted: 12/8/05 at 9:42am

The episode is called "Bully Woolley"; you can watch the clip here: http://www.durfee.net/will/0714.htm

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#13re: Shut Up Patti Lupone!
Posted: 12/8/05 at 9:53am

"They either love me or they hate me" We love you Patti!!! I could go on quoting that epiosde forever!

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#14re: Shut Up Patti Lupone!
Posted: 12/8/05 at 11:11am

I haven't watched Will & Grace in forever because it got a bit boring to me and I am not the biggest LuPone fan....that clip was a riot and I just saw her in Sweeney and she rocked! I guess I am a changed man!

Just give the world Love.

rmposey Profile Photo
rmposey
#15re: Shut Up Patti Lupone!
Posted: 12/8/05 at 11:25am

Hee hee! I rarely watch Will and Grace and one night was bored and tuned in. The episode I saw happened to be this one! I laughed so hard!! It was great!

I should have eaten the saw and used the cake to bludgeon my way out - Alfred Hitchcock

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#16re: Shut Up Patti Lupone!
Posted: 12/8/05 at 11:28am

Love this episode. THis was my favorite episoe last year, second only to the episode where Chita Rivera and Michele Lee play lesbian lovers.

anastasia b Profile Photo
anastasia b
#17re: Shut Up Patti Lupone!
Posted: 12/8/05 at 11:39am

My 2nd favorite quote from that episode:
"Now I have hair from Bernadette Peters, Betty Buckey, and Idina Menzel. All I need is Patti LuPone, and my broadway diva wig will be complete!!" :)

'Opportunity is not a lengthy visitor...' ~~~Cinderella, "Into the Woods"
Updated On: 12/8/05 at 11:39 AM

Katecab99 Profile Photo
Katecab99
#18re: Shut Up Patti Lupone!
Posted: 12/8/05 at 11:58am

it's seriously the best episode ever.

cathywellerstein Profile Photo
cathywellerstein
#19re: Shut Up Patti Lupone!
Posted: 12/8/05 at 12:09pm

omg. just watched the clip. that is amazing.

touchmeinthemorning
#20re: Shut Up Patti Lupone!
Posted: 12/8/05 at 12:56pm

So, I watched this clip with what I thought was my headphones in. Then, towards the end of the clip, I noticed that I had put my headphones in the wrong hole. Now, my whole office knows that I adore Patti Lupone and Will and Grace. They also know I am not doing any work. How fun!

"Fundamentalism means never having to say 'I'm wrong.'" -- unknown

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#21re: Shut Up Patti Lupone!
Posted: 12/8/05 at 1:12pm

Bobby, the word "lesbian" in that statement is redundant.

re: Shut Up Patti Lupone!

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

WickedOne2 Profile Photo
WickedOne2
#22re: Shut Up Patti Lupone!
Posted: 12/8/05 at 1:54pm

I loved that episode. Jack is the best.

"I wish the stage were as narrow as the wire of a tightrope dancer, so that no incompetent would dare step upon it." Goethe

Isabella2
#23re: Shut Up Patti Lupone!
Posted: 12/8/05 at 10:43pm

oh wow, just watched the clip and it was very entertaining. Patti looks fabulous and adorable!

Videos