sutton foster Elphaba

meagan9848 Profile Photo
meagan9848
#25re: sutton foster Elphaba
Posted: 12/28/05 at 1:49pm

Sutton would be better than some of the other...choices. I love her, but I think I'd rather see her in new work.

Idina: Somehow I got myself to the stage, came out at the end of the show, and I had some kind of closure.
Some guy: You looked great!
Idina: Thanks...I WAS SO HIGH! 8/21/05

justagirl2 Profile Photo
justagirl2
#26re: sutton foster Elphaba
Posted: 12/28/05 at 3:27pm

moowithme, I'd go with mezzo.

PJ
#27re: sutton foster Elphaba
Posted: 12/28/05 at 3:28pm

The producers already did a hire a fresh out of college actor, Megan Hilty. She hadn't even graduated from Carnegie Mellon when she was hired as Jennifer Laura Thompson's standby.

I like the hiring of unknowns.

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#28re: sutton foster Elphaba
Posted: 12/28/05 at 3:28pm

Justagirl -- I would concur.

". . . POP . . ."

TheatreDiva612 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva612
#29re: sutton foster Elphaba
Posted: 12/28/05 at 3:56pm

I don't see sutton in this role at all.

moowithme111105 Profile Photo
moowithme111105
#30re: sutton foster Elphaba
Posted: 12/28/05 at 4:19pm

Sutton would be an intresting Elphie, but if I was her, I would say, 'NO!!! I CAN'T DO THIS, I CAN'T RUIN MY DIGNITY" but hey, everyone is different.
Updated On: 12/28/05 at 04:19 PM

JulianHookbucks Profile Photo
JulianHookbucks
#31re: sutton foster Elphaba
Posted: 12/28/05 at 11:06pm

I don't really see her as either role... her voice is too piercing, not that it isn't gorgeous... however... It'd be interesting to see her as Nessa...

that's a really big mic...

LostLeander
#32re: sutton foster Elphaba
Posted: 12/28/05 at 11:41pm

Sutton is definitely more of a Nessa type... and it's within her range.

Sutton isn't really a mixer, which is, ultimately, required for Elphaba. She has a pure chest belt that, when used, is hair raising, and brings down the house (Gimme, Gimme)... She's in the range of Merman, and Testa... She would definitely wear herself out in this role.

She is not the right type at all.

She's the quirky, Carol Burnett type, comedienne.
Which is not to say that it wouldn't be fun to see her in this role... but I'd say Sutton wouldn't even want to do Elphaba...

Personally, I think I have too much bloom.

JulianHookbucks Profile Photo
JulianHookbucks
#33re: sutton foster Elphaba
Posted: 12/28/05 at 11:45pm

she'd be ridiculously tall though... I mean, it could be funny for the suppressed sister to tower over the green one...

that's a really big mic...

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#34re: sutton foster Elphaba
Posted: 12/28/05 at 11:47pm

moowithme, she's a soprano. Most would classify it as "mezzo-soprano."

Often people even well-acquainted with musical and vocal terms may classify bleters as altos, while in fact many of them are sopranos or mezz-sopranos. Fact of the matter is that an true alto voice is pretty rare. Not to mention these vocal terms are difficult to apply to non-classical singing.

LostLeander..but she really IS a mixer. Just a very convincing one. And just because she's a good comedianne, that doesn't mean she can't do a fine job with a more dramatic role. I think she's proven that.

darkmist115 Profile Photo
darkmist115
#35re: sutton foster Elphaba
Posted: 12/28/05 at 11:49pm

yeah, sutton's definitely a mezzo.

love the girl, love wicked.
not sure if she'd do elphie all that well, though. maybe glinda? definitely nessa.

PJ
#36re: sutton foster Elphaba
Posted: 12/29/05 at 2:05am

Sutton was adorable in the first act of Little Women. Then when the second rolled around, she pulled off the dramatic tone stunningly. So she can most definitely do both.

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#37re: sutton foster Elphaba
Posted: 12/29/05 at 2:25am

She deserves better.

This is my signature.

GClef2 Profile Photo
GClef2
#38re: sutton foster Elphaba
Posted: 12/29/05 at 2:45am

I Love PJ'a Avatar---she is just so intense in every performance. I just love her!

"The only way we live beyond our lives is to connect and carve ourselves into the souls of those we love." -Little Fish

LostLeander
#39re: sutton foster Elphaba
Posted: 12/29/05 at 6:22am

I don't even count Elphaba as a dramatic role.

It's one, I'm sure, Sutton could pull off in her sleep... but the "type" of actors they put in that role are belt your face off (or extremely good mixers) girls who are never the strongest actors (partly cause I think it's a poorly written character too).. and it's just not Sutton's style.

And I KNOW Sutton can do dramatic.
I absolutely fell in love with everything that Sutton did in Millie.. and it takes an ACTRESS, first and foremost, to do that role.

And boy did she do it.

Personally, I think I have too much bloom.

AngusN
#40re: sutton foster Elphaba
Posted: 12/29/05 at 6:46am

LostLeander I completely agree with you. After seeing Idina in the role (who I am a big fan of) I was shocked that she got the Tony for it, I thought the character was bland, her comic timing was off and her communication of the songs was weak. Sure she sung them well, but it is theatre, not a pop concert. I thought Kristin was much stronger than Idina and sure deserved the Tony.

alliaskofyou1206 Profile Photo
alliaskofyou1206
#41re: sutton foster Elphaba
Posted: 12/29/05 at 9:45am

Sutton is mezzo soprano. Meaning, she's a belter. But, I don't really see her as Elphaba. I her more as Nessa.