What show...?

IMissNYC Profile Photo
IMissNYC
#0What show...?
Posted: 1/7/06 at 5:30pm

I direct a teen community theatre group and want to take them on a trip into NYC to see a show. Can someone answer some questions for me?

1. What do you think that a group of teens would enjoy the most?

2. Is there any way of getting a workshop or a meet and greet or something like that for them?

I'm totally out of the loop now What show...?

Thanks!

Magicupoursleeves Profile Photo
Magicupoursleeves
#1re: What show...?
Posted: 1/7/06 at 5:32pm

Wicked,Avenue Q

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Isabella2
#2re: What show...?
Posted: 1/7/06 at 5:32pm

i think you should see sweeney todd and not rent just cuz sweeney todd is the best show ever and i don't like rent.

DreamFlyer22 Profile Photo
DreamFlyer22
#3re: What show...?
Posted: 1/7/06 at 5:35pm

Hmmm. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels or Avenue Q, I'd say. Wicked tickets are next to impossible to come by for groups unless you're willing to wait until those teens are 20-somethings.

*~* Every time you double-post, God kills a kitten. *~*

Kay, the Thread-Jacking Jedi
Quando omni flunkus moritati (When all else fails, play dead...)

"... chasin' the music. Trying to get home."

Peter Gregus: "Where are my house right ladies?!"
(love you, girls! - 6/13/06)

Updated On: 1/7/06 at 05:35 PM

IMissNYC Profile Photo
IMissNYC
#4re: What show...?
Posted: 1/7/06 at 5:36pm

I've seen SWEENEY already and it was fantastic, but because my group starts with 8th graders I'm thinking that some parents wouldn't let them got to that. Hmmm...

DancNdaMoonlite Profile Photo
DancNdaMoonlite
#5re: What show...?
Posted: 1/7/06 at 5:39pm

Wicked, Avenue Q, Rent

Broadway_Boy
#6re: What show...?
Posted: 1/7/06 at 5:56pm

For WIcked if you have a group of 20 or more you can get the tickets for half price. You'll probably be able to get them for a weekday performance sometime in the next 5 months.

Check out the app Todaytix if you haven't already for theatre tickets around the world. My referral code is DGHVR

IMissNYC Profile Photo
IMissNYC
#7re: What show...?
Posted: 1/7/06 at 5:58pm

Thanks for the info!

GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
GilmoreGirlO2
#8re: What show...?
Posted: 1/7/06 at 6:24pm

I would say IF you can get tickets "Wicked", otherwise I would go with "Rent" or "Spelling Bee".

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#9re: What show...?
Posted: 1/7/06 at 6:40pm

Rent, DRS, or Spelling Bee.

As far as workshops go, you can check out www.studentslive.org.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

DramaDork925
#10re: What show...?
Posted: 1/7/06 at 6:42pm

Hairspray

Am I cut out to spend my time this way?

bwaylover86 Profile Photo
bwaylover86
#11re: What show...?
Posted: 1/7/06 at 6:49pm

Okay as much as I love RENT more than anything and am a huge fan, for kids in their teens on a field trip i would say definitly not a good idea, because of the sexual themes and drug references, which I mean every kid knows, but parents might not like it, so although it is fantastic, I would say no to it unless you are going to explain what it is about to all the parents and get their permission. Lion King is great for teens, depending I guess how old they are but its supossed to be great even for adults, and Wicked is great but you may have trouble getting tickets, especially at a low price, but for groups I may be wrong. Good luck with your trip!

"That boy could use some Prozac"
Updated On: 1/7/06 at 06:49 PM

#12re: What show...?
Posted: 1/7/06 at 7:06pm

I would say Hairspray, because it has mass appeal, would be fine for your age group, and can be used as a spring board to talk about race issueas and such. Truly a great show, and balcony seats are great!

lamentingenvelope Profile Photo
lamentingenvelope
#13re: What show...?
Posted: 1/7/06 at 7:22pm

I vote Hairspray.

SweetQintheLights
#14re: What show...?
Posted: 1/7/06 at 7:40pm

I vote for Spelling Bee or Avenue Q.

I think both of them are very teen-aged oriented, and funny.

Yes, other shows do have these appeals- however, I think these 2 present it the best. re: What show...?

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178

ToBeingAnUsForOnce Profile Photo
ToBeingAnUsForOnce
#15re: What show...?
Posted: 1/7/06 at 8:05pm

Yes, Hairspray and Spelling Bee would be good ideas.

sadiem100 Profile Photo
sadiem100
#16re: What show...?
Posted: 1/7/06 at 8:11pm

Well if you went to Wicked you could do the "Behind the Emerald Curtain" tour in addition to the show.

"Electricity sparks inside of me... and I'm free, I'm free."

armchairdictator
#17re: What show...?
Posted: 1/7/06 at 8:30pm

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels or Spelling Bee.

I would not take them to Avenue Q since there is a pretty sexual scene in it and I wouldn't want to turn on those teens even more to ideas they have already. It's also more an adult play with far more suitale ones available as above. Others have recommended Wicked too.

kate2
#18re: What show...?
Posted: 1/7/06 at 9:10pm

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is downright hysterical. I vote DRS

neomystyk29 Profile Photo
neomystyk29
#19re: What show...?
Posted: 1/7/06 at 9:22pm

If you don't think Sweeney Todd would be accepted by their parents I think, then, that that also applies to Avenue Q. I would take them to see Wicked, but tickets are next to impossible to get.

It really depends on how sophisticated you think they are, and what they are ready to appreciate.

If they're level of appreciation is high take them to see The Light In The Piazza.

If they're level of appreciation is not so much, DRS, Spelling Bee, Hairspray, or RENT. I personally would take them to RENT. The show's themes are perfect for teens.

professor Profile Photo
professor
#20re: What show...?
Posted: 1/7/06 at 9:23pm

When I bring students to see Bway shows, I go through a company called "Students Live"-- They only work with a couple of shows at a time (we've done Rent and Avenue Q)-- but they provide a really great workshop in which you meet cast members/creators. Check out their website at www.studentslive.org

"Inside every actor there is a Tiger, a Pig, an Ass, and a Nightingale. You never know which one is going to show up." -John Michael Higgins in FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION

xoxRogue Profile Photo
xoxRogue
#21re: What show...?
Posted: 1/7/06 at 9:25pm

My high school had both field trips to Rent and Avenue Q. (And, I think Wicked.) And everyone enjoyed them. As to what parents thought about the shows (from what their teen's said and what they heard from others), I don't know.

Shari Lewis: Did you ever wish upon a star? Lamb Chop: I once asked Mr. Rogers for his autograph.

bythesword84 Profile Photo
bythesword84
#22re: What show...?
Posted: 1/7/06 at 9:55pm

Whoever said to take a group that involves 8th graders to see Avenue Q is out of their minds. I mean I'm 21 and I've seen the show 26 times and I wouldn't want to be responsible for taking anyone under the age of 15-16 to see that show. Is it fantastic? Yes. Is it one that I love and would always say was one of my favorites? Yes. But there is no way to deem that show appropriate for an group with that large of an age range...unless you can vouch for the maturity level of every one of those kids being far above that of your average 13 year old.

And hang on, when did you win the discus?

IMissNYC Profile Photo
IMissNYC
#23re: What show...?
Posted: 1/7/06 at 10:00pm

Thank you all for your imput. I am definitely going to look into studentslive.org. That sounds great. I have seen Avenue Q and although I loved it, I would not even think of taking this group....too many parent issues. Anyways, I've seen Spelling Bee, Wicked and Hairsray before and I agree that those would be preferable. Thanks again!

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#24re: What show...?
Posted: 1/7/06 at 10:08pm

Take them on a trip of a lifetime! Take them to see "Chita Rivera:The Dancers Life" and they will remember YOU and the Show YEARS from now with great thanks that because of you, They saw a part of History! Maybe Chita will see them after the show for a quick meet & greet too, you could ask.

"It is bad enough that people are dying of AIDS, but no one should die of ignorance." - Elizabeth Taylor

Videos