150 trap doors in phantom?

wickedfreak Profile Photo
wickedfreak
#0150 trap doors in phantom?
Posted: 1/9/06 at 7:16pm

In the playbill.com phantom random trivia thing....it says that phantom has 150 trap doors.....is this possible and why is it necessary?

kelzama
#1re: 150 trap doors in phantom?
Posted: 1/9/06 at 7:21pm

My guess is that 148 or so of them allow candles to grow from the floor.

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#2re: 150 trap doors in phantom?
Posted: 1/9/06 at 7:25pm

otherwise it would be hazardous, hell fiddler injured 2 cast members within a week with theirs (a chorus boy and nancy opel)

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#3re: 150 trap doors in phantom?
Posted: 1/9/06 at 7:35pm

I REALLY think this HAS to be a mistake. It must be 15 not 150, probally a typo. 150 traps is just NOT possible!

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#4re: 150 trap doors in phantom?
Posted: 1/9/06 at 7:46pm

It could...say each door is really small and there are like 10 little trap doors connected to one circut.... tat could equal alot of little trap doors

you know what i mean

stylinbohemian
#5re: 150 trap doors in phantom?
Posted: 1/9/06 at 7:50pm

wow...that seems like a bit over done

"If There's One Thing to Learn it's You Just Can't Go Wrong If You Follow Your Heart, and End With A Song"

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#6re: 150 trap doors in phantom?
Posted: 1/9/06 at 7:52pm

This number includes all the tiny traps that hold the motorized individual candles. They rise and fall like motorized car antennas.

wickedfreak
#7re: 150 trap doors in phantom?
Posted: 1/9/06 at 8:36pm

oh yeah.....i forgot about the candles...THANKS!

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#8re: 150 trap doors in phantom?
Posted: 1/9/06 at 8:43pm

You guys really think that every candle has its own little trap door? I find that highly unlikely.

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#9re: 150 trap doors in phantom?
Posted: 1/9/06 at 8:47pm

That's what I would assume. I would not put it past the creative team behind Phantom to have 150 doors, and I would think the playbill team would be able to make that large of a mistake. I am thinking the candles are rigged up to the doors as well.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#10re: 150 trap doors in phantom?
Posted: 1/9/06 at 8:51pm

"I am thinking the candles are rigged up to the doors as well."

That's correct. They would better be described as a flap.

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#11re: 150 trap doors in phantom?
Posted: 1/9/06 at 9:09pm

"wow...that seems like a bit over done " something overdone in an andrew lloyd webber musical....... NEVER!

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

wickedfreak
#12re: 150 trap doors in phantom?
Posted: 1/9/06 at 9:10pm

oh shut up

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#13re: 150 trap doors in phantom?
Posted: 1/10/06 at 3:53am

That fact appears in the actual playbill from tonight, I highly doubt it's a mistake.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

Celestial Entropy Profile Photo
Celestial Entropy
#14re: 150 trap doors in phantom?
Posted: 1/10/06 at 4:40am

The fact also appeared on Playbill News in 1998... so I doubt it's a typo. Unless it's one of those very long living typos... which I doubt.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/36639.html

I've come this far with the truth of the heart. Deep down inside I think we're all the same. Try not to judge and never shame... I do believe people are good... they just want hope and respect... to be understood ~Melissa Etheridge
Updated On: 1/10/06 at 04:40 AM

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#15re: 150 trap doors in phantom?
Posted: 1/10/06 at 8:52am

Yes, it is true, each candle has its own small trap door (flap) you can see it in this picture, if you so see the show you can see all the little "traps" on stage during other scenes.

re: 150 trap doors in phantom?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre
Updated On: 1/10/06 at 08:52 AM

Videos