Anyone seen Liza lately?

marlomanners
#0Anyone seen Liza lately?
Posted: 1/12/06 at 12:59am

I'm seeing her tomorrow night in Clearwater. Just wondering what kind of shape that voice is in.

www.isawearthlings.com

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#1re: Anyone seen Liza lately?
Posted: 1/12/06 at 1:12am

im going to be there as well!!! i saw her in Fort Laud and she sounded great.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

jasobres
#2re: Anyone seen Liza lately?
Posted: 1/12/06 at 6:38am

I attended a taping of "Inside the Actors Studio" where she was in the chair and she sang a few songs. Of course, her singing voice sounds much older, but she has still got it.

"Ev'ry-buddy wants ta get into de act!" - Jimmy Durante "Breathe from your hoo-hoo." -Kristin Chenoweth

Garland Grrrl Profile Photo
Garland Grrrl
#3re: Anyone seen Liza lately?
Posted: 1/12/06 at 10:32am

she was terrif at bloomberg's inauguration -- the highlight of the ceremony.

Mind is Mantra.

cookie2 Profile Photo
cookie2
#4re: Anyone seen Liza lately?
Posted: 1/12/06 at 11:45am

I cannot wait...seeing her on the 20th in Melbourne, FL!!! Let us know how the Clearwater show is!!

muscle23ftl
#5re: Anyone seen Liza lately?
Posted: 1/12/06 at 1:08pm

i saw her a couple of months ago in Ft Laud and she was brilliant....unfortunatly she can't dance anymore...but her voice sounded fine...she sang a good selection of songs.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

muscle23ftl
#6re: Anyone seen Liza lately?
Posted: 1/12/06 at 1:08pm

i saw her a couple of months ago in Ft Laud and she was brilliant....unfortunatly she can't dance anymore...but her voice sounded fine...she sang a good selection of songs.

cheezedoodle
#7re: Anyone seen Liza lately?
Posted: 1/12/06 at 1:33pm

She is great! I saw her sister Lorna on New Years eve in SF at a very intimate Cabaret room , and she hinted at an upcoming engagement for Liza there as well. I think that would be perfect for her - a more intimate setting where she can focus on the music more than the dance.

"Oh Link...your pork is ready..." - Edna Turnblad

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#8re: Anyone seen Liza lately?
Posted: 1/12/06 at 1:36pm

I saw her at Jersey Boys in November, and she looked great.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

BSoBW2
#9re: Anyone seen Liza lately?
Posted: 1/12/06 at 1:49pm

I thought that said Linzi Hately and I got excited.

Jerry2
#10re: Anyone seen Liza lately?
Posted: 1/12/06 at 2:09pm

Wow,what else Lorna said?
Strange,that Liza will choose such small room for her concert,
untill she can't fill bigger halls and she still can.She is not Stritch kind of artist to start with.I don't know if people will buy her in small cabaret jazz show.Lorna Luft is another case,she had never made it really big.I know great voice and all,but people don't interested in her anyway.
Well we will see,if it's true (about Liza) or not.

cheezedoodle
#11re: Anyone seen Liza lately?
Posted: 1/12/06 at 2:17pm

Jerry - I think you misunderstood what was said. Liza would not be doing her regular "Concert" act at the Plush room, but would be doing a Cabaret style evening of songs that she could share on a more intimate level. Currently she inserts a few of her favorite pieces by composers such as Weill and Aznivor amongst her trademark showstoppers. That's great - but she really wants to do a show that highlights these works that she can "act" for a change. The Plush Room is not exactly small, I think it holds around five hundred people which for a Cabaret room is quite large. I have seen many great performers there including Carol Channing, Mary Wilson, Patti LuPone and tonight I am seeing Kitty Carlisle Hart there. I think it's a wonderful idea.

Jerry2
#12re: Anyone seen Liza lately?
Posted: 1/12/06 at 2:43pm

Aznavour's songs?
She sings them at her concerts anyway.
I know,that Liza is going to record an album of Kay Thompson's songs ( arangements) in april, so probably new concert program will follow. Maybe she will present it in "Dizzy" club in ny, it's rumor I heard.I am sure that if program will be successful it will go to concert halls or broadway.Clubs are fine,but Liza never was a club's kind of singer and I don't know how she can fit small stage.Also she is at the age when if she goes to clubs she probably will never be able to return to concert halls again.
Best!

Chevstriss
#13re: Anyone seen Liza lately?
Posted: 1/12/06 at 2:57pm

Can't dance? why can't she dance? just curious, as I've discovered my back has been broken all my life and it has put a definate monkey wrench into things at 46. 5% of caucasians have the same fracture as me. has Liza said why she's not dancing? She's not THAT much older than me.

I'd fire you... if you weren't so g*dd*mn beautiful out there. - Blades of Glory blog

cheezedoodle
#14re: Anyone seen Liza lately?
Posted: 1/12/06 at 3:22pm

She had a bout of menongitis that caused her to need hip replacement surgery. Since then she has battled her weight and hip problems that have made it quite difficult for her to perform at the rate she used to. Another reason she is considering a different type of show now.

Phantom487
#16re: Anyone seen Liza lately?
Posted: 1/13/06 at 1:13am

I too was at the taping of "Inside the Actors Studio", and not only did she look great, but she sounded great! She blew me away!

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#17re: Anyone seen Liza lately?
Posted: 1/13/06 at 1:20am

eh I made a joke then decided it was stupid

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999
Updated On: 1/13/06 at 01:20 AM

jasobres
#18re: Anyone seen Liza lately?
Posted: 1/13/06 at 7:59am

While we're on the topic of Liza, I just went on the "Inside the Actors Studio" web site and finally got the air date for her interview. It's going to be on Sunday, February 5 at 8 PM. Look out for me. I'm the one with glasses and an orange fleece with a blue stripe across it.

"Ev'ry-buddy wants ta get into de act!" - Jimmy Durante "Breathe from your hoo-hoo." -Kristin Chenoweth

muscle23ftl
#19re: Anyone seen Liza lately?
Posted: 1/13/06 at 11:29am

Liza'a performance was odd....she sang 3 songs...and then a guy took over and started singing...i thought she wouldnt return to the stage, but she did...then i met her after the show...she was very sweet.

Yawper
#20re: Anyone seen Liza lately?
Posted: 1/13/06 at 12:05pm

that guy was Nicholas King ('A Thousand Clowns', 'Hollywood Arms')

marlomanners
#21re: Anyone seen Liza lately?
Posted: 1/13/06 at 12:12pm

There was SO much tension at that intermission last night, since no one knew what the hell was going on. I wasn't sure she was going to be able to win the audience over after that. Then she finally took the stage again at about 8:50 and performed straight through until 10:10. She was fabulous (blew the roof off with "What Did I Have") and received several standing ovations throughout the show.

www.isawearthlings.com

Jerry2
#22re: Anyone seen Liza lately?
Posted: 1/13/06 at 12:59pm

Wow, you met Liza!
Did she say something about her future plans?
I hope they will fix first act of the concert,if the young guy isn't good enough,he should go.By the way there are pictures of him with Liza on broadway.com from 2001.Maybe Liza has a soft spot for him,who knows...
How does she looks and sounds?
Thanks!

marlomanners
#23re: Anyone seen Liza lately?
Posted: 1/14/06 at 1:18am

The young guy was actually very good. If he had been announced as an "opening act" everything would have been fine. You can't just put Liza on stage, let her do three songs, then replace her with a 14 year-old boy, and expect everyone to be okay with it.

No one knew what was going on. There were people around us who thought Liza wasn't coming back. People should have known in advance that there was another act. And I'm not complaining about it, since I knew better, but it would have benefitted everyone if the audience had known that there was anther act besides Liza.

I mean, she did three songs, then he did at least six. Then the lights came up, as there was an announcement that I - and apparently many other people - could not understand.

And fifteen minutes later she came back out and blew us all away, and the rest is history.

www.isawearthlings.com

muscle23ftl
#24re: Anyone seen Liza lately?
Posted: 1/14/06 at 2:01am

it was weird...because i saw her show in Fort Lauderdale...that by the way...was WAY better...and she didn't have any other singer onstage besides herself (even tho her pianist sang a song) and she pretty much did all the same things, such as taking all her make up off onstage...LOL...and then she sang different songs. In Fort Lauderdale she blew me away with her "And the world goes round". But then she didn't sing it in Clearwater, but she sang "Maybe this time" and "I can see clearly" that was amazing! Anyone going to see her in Melbourne FL next week? do you know if artists come out after the performances in that venue?

FlaBroadway
#25re: Anyone seen Liza lately?
Posted: 1/14/06 at 8:00am

Seeing her tomorrow night in West Palm Beach. Can't wait!!!

Videos