Oh yes... a "Wicked" thread...

OrdinaryJukebox1 Profile Photo
OrdinaryJukebox1
#0Oh yes... a "Wicked" thread...
Posted: 1/18/06 at 1:42am

So, after many failed attempts, I finally won the front row lotto for "Wicked." I have seen the show four times. Yes, when I find a show (or film) that I really enjoy, I will see it countless times to compare different aspects, performances, things of that nature. I am not ashamed to admit that I am an Eden Espinosa fan. I've enjoyed her work, though there isn't a lot. I enjoyed her work in "Brooklyn," though she was limited with a terrible script and such. So, when I heard she was taking over for Shoshana, I was quite thrilled. Not that "Wicked" is the "best" material, but it's very good and far better than "Brooklyn." It gave me an excuse to see Megan Hilty again, and I got to see the new Fieyro, Boq, and Madame Morrible. To be honest, I don't even know where to begin.

Who would have thought that I would win this stupid thing? I remember reading that Tues. nights aren't too busy. Plus, it's cold, rainy, all the signs were pointing to try it. So, my boyfriend and I did, and we freakin' won!! We were amazed and thrilled. We were both dying to see Eden, and to see her in it from the front row!

The show started, and it's so amazing to watch from up close. The sets, the costumes, everything is unreal. Megan Hilty gave such a great performance, though she didn't do some of her more complex, optional vocal work. That was a little upsetting, but hey, she's not a machine. She still gave a wonderful performance. To think she's my age...grrrr!!! But, I'm not jealous.

I'm so glad George Hearn is back, I'm not a Ben Vereen fan, AT ALL, so I was thrilled to see him back in the role. It's not a great role, but he made it bareable for me to watch. THe new Boq is simply precious...I really enjoyed him. Nothing really stood out, he just worked in the role. The new Fieryo was okay. MUCH better than the last guy, but he had this really bad over acting thing happening...and his mouth is HUGE when he sings. It looked even more so from up close, I thought he was going to swallow Eden's tiny little head. I really enjoyed Carol Kane, she made me laugh, she's cute and fun. Now, for Eden...I'm sorry, but I consider myself to be a rather good judge of actors and singers...I've been doing theater for almost 20 years, I think I can spot someone good from someone bad. Eden, in my opinion, is so good is odd. I mean, anyone who says she "screams"? I'm sorry, but you couldn't be more incorrect. Her voice was...wow. I was shocked. But, what surprised me even more was her dedication to making a CHARACTER. No disrespect to Shoshana Bean, but all she seemed to care about were her riffs and being a little over dramatic. Eden, even when she wasn't the focal point of the scene, still maintained a character that hasn't been seen since Idina left. I was truly impressed and thrilled that she is in this show. Her "Defying Gravity" was pure joy for me...with those lights right up my face and everything else...I was quite pleased . I'm sorry, it's really late, I'm still excited, I just got home, if there are any typos and if this is just mindless rambling, I'm sorry...
Just go see Eden!!! She's well worth ANY priced ticket! I hope that new Tony award has her name on it!!

-Vincent

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#1re: Oh yes... a 'Wicked' thread...
Posted: 1/18/06 at 1:52am

What do you mean, George Hearn is back? Ben is still in it as far as I know...

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#2re: Oh yes... a 'Wicked' thread...
Posted: 1/18/06 at 1:54am

You shouldn't be ashamed to be an Eden fan.

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

wickedly_addicted
#3re: Oh yes... a 'Wicked' thread...
Posted: 1/18/06 at 2:01am

I was at tonight's performance of Wicked as well. I'm becoming an Eden fan too! I got goosebumps when she sang Defying Gravity.

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#4re: Oh yes... a 'Wicked' thread...
Posted: 1/18/06 at 2:05am

She inspired me so much when I first saw her over a year ago.

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

jasobres
#5re: Oh yes... a 'Wicked' thread...
Posted: 1/18/06 at 8:39am

Actually, OridinaryJukebox1 is not whistlin' dixie. George Hearn is back in the role of the Wizard. Playbill.com confirmed it.

"Ev'ry-buddy wants ta get into de act!" - Jimmy Durante "Breathe from your hoo-hoo." -Kristin Chenoweth
Updated On: 1/18/06 at 08:39 AM

OrdinaryJukebox1 Profile Photo
OrdinaryJukebox1
#6re: Oh yes... a 'Wicked' thread...
Posted: 1/18/06 at 9:14am

thanks, jaso, i try not to whistle dixie too often re: Oh yes... a 'Wicked' thread... but, yes, i'm not ashamed to be an eden fan...she was amazing! go see her! get tickets now!

-vincent

gavrochegirl
#7re: Oh yes... a 'Wicked' thread...
Posted: 1/18/06 at 10:12am

"...and his mouth is HUGE when he sings. It looked even more so from up close, I thought he was going to swallow Eden's tiny little head."

LMAO! I saw him too--he was the tour Fiyero. I didn't like him at all...

What the puck?!

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#8re: Oh yes... a 'Wicked' thread...
Posted: 1/18/06 at 10:20am

OK, I'm not a Wicked fan in the least, but I must say, Eden looks dang good in green! I'm tempted to go back and see this show (I saw it once, with the original cast, haven't gone back since) just to see the combo of Eden and Megan Hilty (she's so gosh darn cute!). I mean, finally, two young, talented, and pretty, actresses in the leads. Yeehaw.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 1/18/06 at 10:20 AM

wicked1
#9re: Oh yes... a 'Wicked' thread...
Posted: 1/18/06 at 11:11am

Congrats on the lotto. I won it in Dec & it was amazing to be so close! I'm glad to hear that Eden is doing a great job. I can't wait to get a chance to see her. I saw Derrick Williams on tour & in my opinion he is a lot better than David Ayers so I'm glad he has taken over the role. I still like Joey McIntyre the most. I never saw Norbert Leo Butz so I'm only comparing Joey, David, & Derrick!

elphie30
#10re: Oh yes... a 'Wicked' thread...
Posted: 1/18/06 at 11:13am

I still don't believe that george is back in wicked i know ben extended so why would george be there im so confused

Save him please, just save him My poor Boq, my sweet, my brave him Don't leave me till my sorry life has scene Alone and loveless here, just the girl in the mirror Just her and me, the Wicked Witch of the East

greenifyed Profile Photo
greenifyed
#11re: Oh yes... a 'Wicked' thread...
Posted: 1/18/06 at 11:17am

Uh, when did George come back!? I was around on Sunday and Ben was still there.

Anyone have a link to this Playbill.com thing? I'm seriously confused.

"The tick BOOM tick BOOM is so loud I can't hear the rain on the grass. I can't hear the wind. I'm about to scream. But I realize I'm not alone."

jasobres
#12re: Oh yes... a 'Wicked' thread...
Posted: 1/18/06 at 11:19am

http://www.playbill.com/events/cast_list/2236.html

Wait a minute. This is like from mid-2005!!! What's the deal?

David Ayers...Fiyero?
Shoshan Bean...Elphaba?
Rue McClanahan...Madame Morrible?
Michelle Federer...Nessarose?

"Ev'ry-buddy wants ta get into de act!" - Jimmy Durante "Breathe from your hoo-hoo." -Kristin Chenoweth
Updated On: 1/18/06 at 11:19 AM

elphie30
#13re: Oh yes... a 'Wicked' thread...
Posted: 1/18/06 at 11:24am

Thanks for sharing that but it has to be a mistake my friend said she was there last week and ben was still in it

Save him please, just save him My poor Boq, my sweet, my brave him Don't leave me till my sorry life has scene Alone and loveless here, just the girl in the mirror Just her and me, the Wicked Witch of the East

greenifyed Profile Photo
greenifyed
#14re: Oh yes... a 'Wicked' thread...
Posted: 1/18/06 at 11:28am

It has to be a mistake unless this happened on like, TUESDAY. But I saw Ben on Sunday!

And uhhh.. I am correct to say that Playbill.com's cast list never actually happened. So wtf?

"The tick BOOM tick BOOM is so loud I can't hear the rain on the grass. I can't hear the wind. I'm about to scream. But I realize I'm not alone."

BloodRayneSA Profile Photo
BloodRayneSA
#15re: Oh yes... a 'Wicked' thread...
Posted: 1/18/06 at 11:41am

I must absolutely agree with everything you said. And yes, this new Fiyero is lightyears better than every other Fiyero I have seen, or even heard ( and that's not saying much because I was never really crazy for any of them).
I bought a green monkey last night :)

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#16re: Oh yes... a 'Wicked' thread...
Posted: 1/18/06 at 11:47am

Wait wait wait... so what happened to Ben?

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

JerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
#17re: Oh yes... a 'Wicked' thread...
Posted: 1/18/06 at 12:05pm

Anyone know anything further about Ben? (Seeing the show the 4th)

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!

dancingthrulife04
#18re: Oh yes... a 'Wicked' thread...
Posted: 1/18/06 at 12:07pm

Yeah, I'd definitely like to know if anyone knows more. I'm seeing the show on the 8th, and I really hope Ben will be there.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

BloodRayneSA
#19re: Oh yes... a 'Wicked' thread...
Posted: 1/18/06 at 12:20pm

I don't know about anyone else, but I was rather happy when I found out that George Hearn was in. I was in no mood to have to deal with the "hammyness" that is Mr. Vereen.

SORRY

boxers7 Profile Photo
boxers7
#20re: Oh yes... a 'Wicked' thread...
Posted: 1/18/06 at 12:22pm

How can people say that he is making a mistake? I believe that OrdinaryJukebox would know wether he was watching George Hearn or Ben Vereen on stage. Perhaps Ben had to take a week or two off to see the ailing family member that he was visiting when he switched with Gene [insert last name here] in Chicago.

Was George listed in the Playbill? Or was there an "At this performance..." slip?

"I don't wanna see that!" -Aunt Sassy (as played by Valerie Cherish) on Room & Bored
Updated On: 1/18/06 at 12:22 PM

BloodRayneSA
#21re: Oh yes... a 'Wicked' thread...
Posted: 1/18/06 at 2:41pm

Actually, seeing as I was also at the show last night, let me just vouch for ordinaryjukebox. YES it was indeed George Hearn playing the role of the Wizard, and He was listed in the playbill, and his name was also listed outside the theater.

So, we can now put this part of the thread to rest.

:)

dancingthrulife04
#22re: Oh yes... a 'Wicked' thread...
Posted: 1/18/06 at 2:47pm

boxers- Gene Weygandt.

And, I actually don't want to put this part of the thread to rest, just yet. Does anyone know when and if Ben will be returning?

Yankeefan007
#23re: Oh yes... a 'Wicked' thread...
Posted: 1/18/06 at 2:51pm

http://www.wickedthemusical.com/bios-cast.htm

Ben Vereen

I got a Playbill a few days after the new cast began....Vereen was still listed. Updated On: 1/18/06 at 02:51 PM

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#24re: Oh yes... a 'Wicked' thread...
Posted: 1/18/06 at 2:51pm

I saw Eden way back when she was an understudy, she was quite good. I think she has a better voice than Idina.

Videos