Premium Seating?

SSkankin
#0Premium Seating?
Posted: 1/18/06 at 11:02am

Does anyone know the reason almost every show has all their good seats at $200 Premium Seating? Just went to see how tickets for Rent looked and only left and right Orch. are available at regular price.

Any reason why telecharge and ticketmaster is turning into a bunch of ticket scalpers?

Magdalene Profile Photo
Magdalene
#1re: Premium Seating?
Posted: 1/18/06 at 11:07am

So they get the money INSTEAD of the scalpers...

"NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#2re: Premium Seating?
Posted: 1/18/06 at 11:11am

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?boardname=bway&thread=880933

Please do a search before starting a new thread.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Fosse76
#3re: Premium Seating?
Posted: 1/18/06 at 11:26am

It's called price-gouging, and it all started with The Producers.

kasim Profile Photo
kasim
#4re: Premium Seating?
Posted: 1/18/06 at 11:51am

Their is NOTHING wrong with this IMHO.

People that hate it are local new yorkers who are used to taking the subway up there, doing a lottery or going mid week to get a cheap ticket.

These are people who can afford to go a few times up there randomy and try to get into a show.

For those of us who live far away who have to spend at least $400 anyway to go for a day or two to NYC. ITs great. Migth suck, but hell if i am flying from ohio ... i'll be damned if i am having a bad seat.

That way people like me and others can get good seats, even if its just one and dont have to pay those bloody scalpers

JerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
#5re: Premium Seating?
Posted: 1/18/06 at 11:57am

No, people from all over dislike it. Theatre shouldn't be only for the wealthy.

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!

Fosse76
#6re: Premium Seating?
Posted: 1/18/06 at 12:20pm

Exactly. All these pre-sales and premium tickets that eat up all the good seats are clearly aimed at the wealthy. It's unfair to those who can afford to go to the theatre, but have to suufer a mezzanine seat because they decided that $100 is too little when they can charge $300 for orchestra seats to wealthy people. But Why stop there? Let's just limit tickets to Amex cardholders only. I mean, where does it end?

kasim Profile Photo
kasim
#7re: Premium Seating?
Posted: 1/18/06 at 12:29pm

You guys can still get tickets to theatre. Its not like its JUST for the wealthy.

But you local folks have a HUGE advantage over the rest of us.

Premium seats prevents you all from gobbling up everything and giving us the rest a chance

Fosse76
#8re: Premium Seating?
Posted: 1/18/06 at 12:47pm

That's BS. Why should we be stuck with crappy seats because you don't live here? It's not our fault you don't live here. New York is first and foremost FOR New Yorkers.

Jenny1284 Profile Photo
Jenny1284
#9re: Premium Seating?
Posted: 1/18/06 at 1:02pm

I do think that $200 is extreme, especially when there are so many people who can't afford $100 seats. I would think that having to spend money on airfare, hotels, and restaurants would make it even more difficult for some people to get pricey tickets. That being said, when I see shows with friends, they almost always want the less expensive mezzanine seats. While I certainly don't prefer sitting in the very last row of the theatre, I personally don't feel like I have to "suffer a mezzanine." While I would like to be closer and see certain details and facial expressions, if I'm enjoying the show, I forget about where I'm sitting.

lovinlife Profile Photo
lovinlife
#10re: Premium Seating?
Posted: 1/18/06 at 1:05pm

I live in New York, and work an average full time office job. My salary would not allow me to purchase premium seating unless I planned way in advance. I do think the prices are a bit steep, but there are ways to find cheaper tickets all the time by doing a various amount of things. Any time you place an order on Ticketmaster or Telecharge, you are asked if you would like to recieve discounts via e-mail. I always said yes, and recieve discount codes daily (just got 40% off orchestra seating to Woman In White). Also, if you search Google for discount theatre codes, you can easily find them and have a list of them e-mailed to you. New Yorkers have the advantage of lottos and TKTS. I often find great seats through TKTS and spend half the price. If you want to be guaranteed tickets, either buy premium seating (which I have also done when I wanted badly to see a "sold out" show), or do some research before hand.

"All I want is the truth, just give me some truth!"- J. Lennon

kasim Profile Photo
kasim
#11re: Premium Seating?
Posted: 1/18/06 at 1:43pm

"That's BS. Why should we be stuck with crappy seats because you don't live here? It's not our fault you don't live here. New York is first and foremost FOR New Yorkers."

LMAO!!!!!! No ... its NOT. You realize if it WASNT for many of the tourists to NYC you WOULDNT have it. IT ISNT for new yorkers alone, that has got ot be one of the stupidest arrogant statements i have reado n here yet.

Hey how about this ... 250 isnt that much, suck it up and pay it.

Its not my fault you want to see a show 20 times. Give it up let other people enjoy it or would that go against your elitest attitude?

ProducersFan
#12re: Premium Seating?
Posted: 1/18/06 at 1:58pm

Wow, someone sounds like they're channeling Hitler here... and no, I'm not talking about The Producers...

If NY was only for New Yorkers as you claim, then maybe you should tell all of the tourists and the $$$ they bring in to leave and never come back. I seem to recall how much NY was struggling after certain periods of time when the tourists were afraid to visit. Sounds like a great plan. re: Premium Seating?

No one should get stuck with crappy seats, no one should have to shell out big bucks to see a show they want. But Broadway is a business, and it's all about the cash nowadays. People keep buying the premium tickets, so nothing will change.

"If you start from a place of joy and charm, you can get away with a lot in the second act. It may be that that's my life. I'm not sure." ~Roger Bart

erinrebecca
#13re: Premium Seating?
Posted: 1/18/06 at 2:03pm

It's simple. It's called supply and demand. Whether you like it or not, it's a reality and isn't likely to disappear soon. It's not an issue of theatre being only for the wealthy. It's not as though every seat is only available at these premium prices. The majority of seats for every performance of every show is regular priced seating. There are always discounts available, and there are rush policies and TKTS, so let's not get carried away with the woe-is-me attitude.

SSkankin, not true that only left and right orchestra is available at Rent for regular prices. I bought tickets for my cousin's birthday for April 3 with a discount code for $70 each and they're in centre orchestra Row B.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#14re: Premium Seating?
Posted: 1/18/06 at 2:26pm

Fine, New York makes sh*tloads of money from the tourist industry. That doesn't need people from out of town should whine about New Yorkers getting all the good seats. If you really want to see a show THAT BAD, make an effort instead of complaining about how you're at a disadvantage.

And you're not at that great of a disadvantage if you live out of town. Tickets to all Broadway shows are available online and through 800-numbers, so I don't know why you're blaming the other people for "gobbling up" all the good seats, when you have the same access to these tickets as they do.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

ProducersFan
#15re: Premium Seating?
Posted: 1/18/06 at 2:31pm

I've never whined or complained about New Yorkers getting all of the good seats. I will gladly pay a higher price if it's a show I genuinely want to see. A Rolling Stones concert can cost $300+, so really Broadway is a good deal in comparison!

I'd just rather not have people get all "holier than thou" on me and other people who do not live in New York. I spent a month there last summer and loved every minute of it. Being able to buy a ticket the day of a show was fantastic. Saying that I should not be allowed in NY just because I'm not a local makes me angry and I'd rather not be seen as less of person because I do not have the benefit of living in such a fantastic city.

"If you start from a place of joy and charm, you can get away with a lot in the second act. It may be that that's my life. I'm not sure." ~Roger Bart

kasim Profile Photo
kasim
#16re: Premium Seating?
Posted: 1/18/06 at 2:34pm

"And you're not at that great of a disadvantage if you live out of town"

-- actually you are. You are more limited on the days you can go being out of town. Also for many planning weeks ahead is not always easy basd on a heavy work schedule.

And when i was saying disadvantaged, i meant in comparison to getting discoutn tickets. You cant simply pay all the money to fly in and HOPE to get rush tickets.

Take something like wicked, i wanted to take my sis to that for her graduation present. If it wasnt for premium tickets i'd have had to have bought them MONTHs in advanced to hve gotten her good orchestra tickets.

As everyone said, its a business.

If all the tickets were like taht i could see the whining, they arent. And even then their are still lots of good seats available at normal price as well. When i went in november all of my seats were within the first few rows and i paid normal price.

Fosse76
#17re: Premium Seating?
Posted: 1/18/06 at 4:20pm

I was being facetious. The fact of the matter is, it is not the problem of New Yorkers if tourists don't get good seats. EVERY show sells tickets online, giving EVERYONE access to tickets at the same time(except for these increasingly absurd pre-sales for the super rich). The only difference is New Yorkers have the option of going to the box office to avoid the surcharges. Other than that, I don't see how New Yorkers have any added advantage at getting good seats. But the point is, premium seats are not necessary, and go further and further to make the theatre elitist, and it's so commercial now that it barely even related to art.

ben1986 Profile Photo
ben1986
#18re: Premium Seating?
Posted: 1/18/06 at 5:39pm

I understand the whole argument made about paying $300 for a rolling stones tickets, and how a broadway show is a good deal but then the premuim seating makes broadway for the rich. Before when good tickets were cheaper to come by it would allow everyone an equal opportunity to particpate and see the arts first hand. Now the only way to get close to the stage, if you don't have a billion dollar ticket, is to wonder down to it during intermission.
The reason I hate premium seat prices is because I'm a college student who cannot spend $300 to see Wicked or Spamalot. Now is that what we want broadway to become. A place where the rich can sit and see the white's of the performers eyes and where the poor can get nose bleeds. Also I understand the lottery argument as well, but I've done only two lotteries on broadway and lost.
I don't mean to sound angry or to go to extreme's but I LOVE BROADWAY, I LOVE THE THEATRE and to not be able to see, or to see it though only binocular's from peanut heaven? This is not what broadway is about. Broadway should be a place where true theatre lovers can come and see a show and not have to sell a kidney.
Also on a final note NY Tourist do deserve good seats just like everyone else. I know there is telecharge and ticketmaster, but sometime's people coming to NYC for the first time do not always have the chance, nor to they now about it, to log on. So go easy on them, they care for the theatre just as much as we do.
Updated On: 1/18/06 at 05:39 PM

lovinlife Profile Photo
lovinlife
#19re: Premium Seating?
Posted: 1/18/06 at 5:49pm

Maybe I'm wierd. If you love theatre, and want to go, SAVE MONEY and buy tickets. I don't care if I'm in east bumble f*ck, as long as I am inside the theatre, seeing the show, and able to hear the music. So many people are saying that it's aimed to the rich and the theatres are being unfair. I think it's the people who complain about a price and want to sit Orchestra for $25.00 are being unfair!! As I posted before, I'm a young office working guy who does not make good money. I BUDGET and splurge when I need/want too. SUPPLY AND DEMAND!!!! If we dont pay for seats, there will eventually be no actors getting paid. And so on.......

"All I want is the truth, just give me some truth!"- J. Lennon

Ladyofthe Lake Profile Photo
Ladyofthe Lake
#20re: Premium Seating?
Posted: 1/18/06 at 9:53pm

The only difference is New Yorkers have the option of going to the box office to avoid the surcharges. Other than that, I don't see how New Yorkers have any added advantage at getting good seats.

What New Yorkers have, that tourists do not, is the advantage of flexibility. If they want to see a show, but don't manage to win the lottery or get rush seats on a particular day, or the show isn't at TKTS, or whatever, there's always another day. If a tourist is coming to NYC to see a specific show (particularly a "hot" show with a hefty advance and a scarcity of tickets), and is spending a good deal of money to do it, it's highly unlikely he or she would be willing to take those kind of chances. So far I've never shelled out the money for premium seats, but I can certainly understand why others do - and would probably make the sacrifice and do it myself if I wanted to see a particular show badly enough. If I'm traveling from Florida to NYC for a show, I want to have tickets in hand before I make the trip - and I want them to be at least reasonably good seats. Maybe I'll take my chances on TKTS, or SRO, or cancellation lines, to catch other shows while I'm there, but for the "special" one...the one I'm making the trip for...I'll do what I have to do, and to the extent it's possible, I'll pay what I have to pay.

And for those who think me a "fool" for doing it...I daresay I'd find some ways you spend your money "foolish", too. re: Premium Seating?

anne3
#21re: Premium Seating?
Posted: 1/19/06 at 1:29am

But like, even if there wasn't premium seating. The big shows would be still be sold out. The shows should get the extra money if people are willing to pay those prices over the scalpers?

BudFrump23 Profile Photo
BudFrump23
#22re: Premium Seating?
Posted: 1/19/06 at 2:29am

At least we're all getting seats, right? Would you rather take theater back to the Elizabethan days and have the poor stand in the orchestra and the rich sit around the theater?

Although, in that case, the poor were closer to the stage...

I'm as jumpy as a virgin at a prison rodeo!

OasisBroadway
#23re: Premium Seating?
Posted: 1/19/06 at 9:12am

"Hey how about this ... 250 isnt that much, suck it up and pay it."

Wow, that's pretty ignorant.

Fosse76
#24re: Premium Seating?
Posted: 1/19/06 at 9:40am

"What New Yorkers have, that tourists do not, is the advantage of flexibility."

That's not our problem. We live here. We have more of a right to not be gouged by greedy producers by having the ability to pick and choose. Perhaps if producers would cater more to New Yorkers than to ill-mannered tourists than perhaps we'd have quality shows on Broadway instead of crap like Mamma Mia and ANY of the Disney shows. It's not our fault that you don't live here.

Videos