pixeltracker

Maurice in Beauty and the Beast- Page 2

Maurice in Beauty and the Beast

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#25re: Maurice in Beauty and the Beast
Posted: 1/25/06 at 5:48pm

Can we please wrap this up?

Bottom line, you'll have to play it, so, do your best.
No point on convincing you why having the role
is not the end of your acting career, as it seems that even if you were cast as the Beast, you'd have wanted to play Belle because she has more and better songs.

The End.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

aces25 Profile Photo
aces25
#26re: Maurice in Beauty and the Beast
Posted: 1/25/06 at 5:50pm

I'd rather be Ensemble then this part!!!

At least I won't look like an idiot!!

Secondly, it is hardly a role you have to "deserve" Updated On: 1/25/06 at 05:50 PM

aces25 Profile Photo
aces25
#27re: Maurice in Beauty and the Beast
Posted: 1/25/06 at 5:51pm

My attitude is not that bad.. I just like to be challenged... I've been tight casted in this kind of parts numerous times

d5johnston Profile Photo
d5johnston
#28re: Maurice in Beauty and the Beast
Posted: 1/25/06 at 5:54pm

Anytime you're given an opportunity to go on stage and perform is a blessing that should be cherished. You can make the most of it if you try. You can create the best damn Maurice out there because you have more time to spend on character study and whatnot. Plus, Maurice is part of the heart of the show.

Also, it wouldn't be good for us to give you advice of how to play him, not knowing what you act like, sound like, look like. Rely on yourself, your director, and your other actors.

This can be a memorable experience. It all depends upon one person: YOU!

-D5JOHNSTON

Read LETTERS TO A YOUNG ARTIST by Anna Deavere Smith!

aces25 Profile Photo
aces25
#29re: Maurice in Beauty and the Beast
Posted: 1/25/06 at 5:56pm

Well I do need some inspirations...

What movies feature older, wise, fathers with a lot of heart?

P.S. Anyone notice that Maurice in the movie is a lot more grumpy than in the musical?

LuvUrBatBoy Profile Photo
LuvUrBatBoy
#30re: Maurice in Beauty and the Beast
Posted: 1/25/06 at 5:59pm

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that you're in High School, Ace.

I bet there's some kid sitting at home now who would play any part much less a LEAD in your production.

Get over it. You're prob way too young to be a diva.
And if you're not young...then...wow.

Yes that's me. No, it's not a Rent homage.

aces25 Profile Photo
aces25
#31re: Maurice in Beauty and the Beast
Posted: 1/25/06 at 6:01pm

Who would want this part? Honestly..

DramaDork925
#32re: Maurice in Beauty and the Beast
Posted: 1/25/06 at 6:12pm

You better start wanting it. I was utterly impressed by who I saw as Maurice and never would have thought this part was bad. Get a better outlook.

Typecasting happens because you are good in a certain role. Make the best of it.

Am I cut out to spend my time this way?

Barnaby12345 Profile Photo
Barnaby12345
#33re: Maurice in Beauty and the Beast
Posted: 1/25/06 at 6:16pm

I would want this part! It gives you a chance to sing a duet (I love "No Matter What." Honestly, stop complaining. You have a lead.

aces25 Profile Photo
aces25
#34re: Maurice in Beauty and the Beast
Posted: 1/25/06 at 6:28pm

THis is definately not a lead... it has less stage time then ensemble "enchanced objects"

Dre2387 Profile Photo
Dre2387
#35re: Maurice in Beauty and the Beast
Posted: 1/25/06 at 6:34pm

I want that part and I'm a girl! I mean, you get to be on stage for how many scenes? I was in a show that was a middle school show that was crap. I had 23 lines. it was a crappy part too. I was in one song that I hated (so did everyone else in the song). we had to do a bit of a tango move. I was bored and made it sort funny, which actually suited my character. Turns out, it was everyone's favorite song cause of my dancing and it wasn't even a major song. It could have easily been cut.

That was the biggest role I have ever played in middle school, high school, and 1st year of college. But the other ensemble roles that seem only ok, I am able to create my own character. And it is fun.

You say you want a challenge. This is a challenge, since you seem to hate the role so much. Learn to love it. Maybe this will be the last time you play an old guy. make it memorable. You have one song to show the people that Maurice really loves his daughter no matter what she is like. And that she shouldn't change for anyone, which is the main part of the story.

Does that help?

<--- the set of A Midsummer Night's Dream that I was assistant stage manager for during the 2007 season at the STNJ outdoor stage.

-Dre-
You must remember all the same that at the crux of every game is knowing when it's time to leave the table... And it's important to be artful in your exit. No turning back, you must accept the con is done... It was a ball, it was a blast. And it's a shame it couldn't last. But every chapter has to end, you must agree.
~Dirty Rotten Scoundrels~

There's a special kind of people known as show people. We live in a world full of dreams. Sometimes we're not too certain what's false and what's real. But we're seldom in doubt about what we feel.
~Curtains~

It is a far, far better thing I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest I go to, than I have ever known.
~A Tale of Two Cities ~

ALWrules Profile Photo
ALWrules
#36re: Maurice in Beauty and the Beast
Posted: 1/25/06 at 6:37pm

You honestly don't deserve to be in the industry if you keep complaining about the roles you get. Is your ego so great that you think you should get only the best roles? Well, I hate to tell you that even the greatest broadway stars started with smaller roles; people had to work their way up and didn't get great roles at the beginning. But you know what pushed them above the rest? They took what they had to work with and gave it their best. This selfless effort is what allows people to do well in the theater world.
So suck it up and study the role, and perform it to the best of your ability. You won't get sympathy from me or many of the other posters on this website.

Keep your morals, I don't have time. Keep your lovers, I'm changing mine! -The Likes of Us

aces25 Profile Photo
aces25
#37re: Maurice in Beauty and the Beast
Posted: 1/25/06 at 6:39pm

That is a bit encouraging.

It is hard since all my friends are leads and they talk about their fancy costumes and fun songs and i get neither

RockabyeHamlet
#38re: Maurice in Beauty and the Beast
Posted: 1/25/06 at 6:42pm

"Okay.. Name one person who would actually want that part. Honestly."

- Me!! and I'm a 20 year old girl and I'd love the part.

Stop being such a drama queen and play the part to the best of your ability. There will be other parts in other shows.

" There are no small parts, only small actors."

"I wouldn't let Esparza's Bobby take my kids to the zoo...I'd be afraid he'd steal their ice cream and laugh."- YankeeFan
"People who like Sondheim enjoy cruelty."-LuvtheEmcee

ElphabaRose Profile Photo
ElphabaRose
#39re: Maurice in Beauty and the Beast
Posted: 1/25/06 at 6:42pm

I agree with Dre and Hamlet. I'm a girl and would gladly play the part. If you actually love theatre, then you should be glad to get any part at all. The point is being on stage and doing what you love doing, not being jealous of what other people are doing. If your ego is too big for the part, quit the show and stop whining to us about it.

EDIT: typos

Whatever happened to class?
Updated On: 1/25/06 at 06:42 PM

ShuQ Profile Photo
ShuQ
#40re: Maurice in Beauty and the Beast
Posted: 1/25/06 at 6:49pm

Take it from me..I've played the role before. I felt about the same as you did when I was cast in the role, being a singer. But it can actually turn out to be a lot of fun. I developed a great relationship with the female playing Belle..and I ended up getting lots of laughs!

aces25 Profile Photo
aces25
#41re: Maurice in Beauty and the Beast
Posted: 1/25/06 at 6:50pm

BUt I just love this show so much ... I want to be in the good songs! All my friends do cool stuff and i play a grouchy old man

Plus, it's embarassing.... Everytime someone asks what part I am they ask excitingly then i reply "Maurice" .... "Oh"... they reply Updated On: 1/25/06 at 06:50 PM

Dre2387 Profile Photo
Dre2387
#42re: Maurice in Beauty and the Beast
Posted: 1/25/06 at 7:54pm

well, tell them to see the show and knock their soncks off with how awesome you can perform in that role.

<--- the set of A Midsummer Night's Dream that I was assistant stage manager for during the 2007 season at the STNJ outdoor stage.

-Dre-
You must remember all the same that at the crux of every game is knowing when it's time to leave the table... And it's important to be artful in your exit. No turning back, you must accept the con is done... It was a ball, it was a blast. And it's a shame it couldn't last. But every chapter has to end, you must agree.

There's a special kind of people known as show people. We live in a world full of dreams. Sometimes we're not too certain what's false and what's real. But we're seldom in doubt about what we feel.
~Curtains~

It is a far, far better thing I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest I go to, than I have ever known.
~A Tale of Two Cities ~

HOUFlip04 Profile Photo
HOUFlip04
#43re: Maurice in Beauty and the Beast
Posted: 1/25/06 at 7:55pm

At least you have a role that will look good on your resume. Treasure this moment now when in future productions you might get hired for chorus most of the time.

Look on the positive side - you are offstage most of the time because you are a FEATURED ROLE and that's the luxury of having a featured role (let the ensemble do all the work) - no matter how small you may think it is. And I agree with everyone who says you have to make it your own and make the most of it.

I have taken several "small roles" and made the most of it and people have come up to me afterwards and thought I had one of the lead roles. It's all on what you do with it!

This is Harvard, not a stripper bar...
Updated On: 1/25/06 at 07:55 PM

Dre2387 Profile Photo
Dre2387
#44re: Maurice in Beauty and the Beast
Posted: 1/25/06 at 8:01pm

HOUFlip, i couldn;t agree with you more. With the small part I had in the middle school musical, a lot of people came up to me and said they wanted to see more of my character onstage.

-Dre-

~Curtains~

~A Tale of Two Cities ~

JudasIscariot Profile Photo
JudasIscariot
#45re: Maurice in Beauty and the Beast
Posted: 1/25/06 at 8:21pm

I played Maurice and I had a lot of fun with the role. It's what you make it to be, it can be very memorable (mine was)!

Plus, you get a lot of time with a beautiful Belle.

Dancinqueen123 Profile Photo
Dancinqueen123
#46re: Maurice in Beauty and the Beast
Posted: 1/25/06 at 8:32pm

I just wanted to say that there was one girl who's a senior this year (yes I'm in High School) she has a beautiful voice and even looks like Belle (yes, we're doing the same show) Everybody thought she would get the part. What was she cast as? A silly girl, a sophomore got the part of Belle. This girl though has accepted it and decided to do the play anyway and enjoy herself. That's what you should do too. Enjoy the play and all of the time you get to spend with your friends. Even if they have bigger parts they're still your friends. If they talk about their fancy costumes and songs, make a joke about the opinions of your songs and costumes. Have fun. Enjoy it. The director obviously cast you in that part for a reason, he/she saw something good in you and that was what they were looking for. You didn't have the right stuff to play the beast, ok I understand why you're upset. Just accept it and enjoy the fun of rehersals and performances and spending time with your friends. Don't let how upset you are with your part affect your performance, if you do, you will ruin the play for everyone.

<--Sometimes it's easier to get out of a jam than into one

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#47re: Maurice in Beauty and the Beast
Posted: 1/25/06 at 9:05pm

I was effing Cogsworth! Next to Gaston and Lefou and D'Arque, I was the villain of the show! My collar bone was 1.5 inches out of alignment because of the 40 pound wooden box I was wearing that definetely did not have chiropractics in mind when it was designed. I also had a fantastic time! Be thankful for what you have or give the part to someone who will be!

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

HOUFlip04 Profile Photo
HOUFlip04
#48re: Maurice in Beauty and the Beast
Posted: 1/25/06 at 9:10pm

Thanks, Dre! I had a similar experience. I played the "small" role of the Barber in "Man of La Mancha" in summer stock. After my scene we put in a intermission (you have to have an intermission in summer stock), and I was selling concessions during. People wondered why I was doing that since I was a LEAD role. A director friend of mine wanted to re-write the ending so the Barber could make another appearance. It was one of my favorite roles to date. I just recently played Sancho and taught the Barber in show my staging to pass it on.

By the way, the Barber has even less stage time than Maurice - just one scene - and people remembered me. I remember signing autographs for opening night and people treated me like I was Don Quioxte.

This is Harvard, not a stripper bar...

Dre2387 Profile Photo
Dre2387
#49re: Maurice in Beauty and the Beast
Posted: 1/25/06 at 9:38pm

that is awesome! oh, and I have another experience. there was a scene that my friend directed for Governor's awards in NJ. It was called 'Tattoo.' my friend asked me to do a little stare for the audition of the background character of a male Russian tattoo artist who as like two lines in russian. and I'm a girl. So i did a look that I thought was a bit weird. and I got the part.

there was a part in the scene where my character has to stand on a chair and sort of sing a russian song while a guy decides if he wants his career to be destroyed or get a tattoo on his ass. my friend just wanted it to be noises. So i created something and when I performed it infront of fellow theatre actors and theatre teacher. (btw, i was in all black and in a trench coat.) She told me she could never look at me the same way again.

when we went to Governor's Awards, unfortunately, one of my fellow actors, said our town instead of number which destroyed us. But we performed anyway, and I got a standing ovation after my "song" by the people watching the scene. It was one of the best characters I have ever played and had almost no lines.

-Dre-

~Curtains~

~A Tale of Two Cities ~