pixeltracker

'Second Act Trouble' - Steven Suskin

'Second Act Trouble' - Steven Suskin

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
#0'Second Act Trouble' - Steven Suskin
Posted: 1/31/06 at 7:16am

I was just wondering whether anyone had read this book on legendary Broadway flops? Thinking about buying it, but want to know if it's any good and a worthy follow-up / companion to 'Not Since Carrie'... 'Second Act Trouble' - Steven Suskin

(I did search and turned up nothing, but many apologies if it's already been discussed)
Updated On: 1/31/06 at 07:16 AM

WOSQ
#1re: 'Second Act Trouble' - Steven Suskin
Posted: 1/31/06 at 11:43am

I have not seen this book in any store yet. It is due to be published (looks at watch) soon. I have three copies on order at Amazon as late Christmas pressies--including one for myself.

The book looks like a lulu. Steve Suskin was there for many of these tales.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

MargoChanning
#2re: 'Second Act Trouble' - Steven Suskin
Posted: 1/31/06 at 11:48am

I've looked for at the Drama Bookshop several times and it's not out yet (they're supposed to call me when it arrives). The release date has been pushed back several times, with the latest one being sometime in February.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
#3re: 'Second Act Trouble' - Steven Suskin
Posted: 1/31/06 at 12:35pm

Ahh, thought I hadn't seen anything on it here yet, and was wondering why! Amazon.co.uk gave the impression it was already available. It anyone wants to share their thoughts when it (finally) arrives, I'd be interested in their opinions re: 'Second Act Trouble' - Steven Suskin

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#4re: 'Second Act Trouble' - Steven Suskin
Posted: 1/31/06 at 5:58pm

Speaking of unpublished books...
When the hell are the going to publish the "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" vocal selections?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#5re: 'Second Act Trouble' - Steven Suskin
Posted: 1/31/06 at 6:13pm

I am really looking forward to this one

Poster Emeritus

Dollypop
#6re: 'Second Act Trouble' - Steven Suskin
Posted: 1/31/06 at 6:33pm

I ordered mine from Amazon.Com on 1/11. It still hasn't arrived. Amazon says it's on its way and sent me a $10 gift certificate. The author, Steve Suskin write for Playbill On-Line and has been very supportive of my writing here on BWW.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

wonderwaiter Profile Photo
wonderwaiter
#7re: 'Second Act Trouble' - Steven Suskin
Posted: 1/31/06 at 7:19pm

I just checked with my distributor, and it's still listed as a January 2005 release, but with no copies in the warehouses. Hmph.

My biggest complaint? It's a paperback. For $27.95 I want a hardcover with a dust jacket.

And no one grew into anything new, we just became the worst of what we were."

BSoBW3 Profile Photo
BSoBW3
#8re: 'Second Act Trouble' - Steven Suskin
Posted: 1/31/06 at 7:22pm

Seems like they went out of their way not to mention CARRIE on amazon.com.

Though they DID mention Kelly - which was, of course, a biggish part of NOT SINCE CARRIE.

The smallest stream is a valent river. It will drown me if it can.

#9re: 'Second Act Trouble' - Steven Suskin
Posted: 3/28/06 at 12:33pm

Has anyone read this yet?

Yankeefan007
#10re: 'Second Act Trouble' - Steven Suskin
Posted: 3/28/06 at 12:36pm

I'm in the middle of it right now. It's a decent book. What I didn't realize is that unlike Not Since Carrie, 2nd Act Trouble is just a compliation of newspaper articles about the flops. Suskin wrote the introduction and a few notes.

MargoChanning
#11re: 'Second Act Trouble' - Steven Suskin
Posted: 3/28/06 at 12:40pm

I finished it last week -- a very entertaining read.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

wonderwaiter
#12re: 'Second Act Trouble' - Steven Suskin
Posted: 3/28/06 at 12:52pm

I'm in the middle of it right now as well, and as YankeeFan007 said, it's just a compilation. Mind you, the articles are very interesting and insightful, but it wasn't what I was expecting based on the description.

#13re: 'Second Act Trouble' - Steven Suskin
Posted: 3/28/06 at 1:58pm

At first I was disappointed when I realized that it was a collection of articles and not a new work, but now I have come to realize that this was a good way to cover it-- to read contemporary coverage, complete with some misguided confidence, the on the spot bickering-- I thought it was a wonderful read!

once a month Profile Photo
once a month
#14re: 'Second Act Trouble' - Steven Suskin
Posted: 3/28/06 at 2:02pm

I was actually disappointed with it. There were some interesting segments, but I was vastly more entertained by Not Since Carrie. It definitely wasn't in the "can't put it down" league of show books.

elmore3003
#15re: 'Second Act Trouble' - Steven Suskin
Posted: 3/28/06 at 2:26pm

It's quite an enjoyable read.

bare_nakedlady Profile Photo
bare_nakedlady
#16re: 'Second Act Trouble' - Steven Suskin
Posted: 4/2/06 at 8:29pm

I hadn't seen it yet but Broadway.com has an article on it today and That cover looks so very familiar... Is it a parody of the ME and JULIET CD cover?? I must go dig out my CD and Check.
Broadway.com article

"It's like children's theatre for 40-year old gay people!" - XANADU THE MUSICAL

wonderwaiter
#17re: 'Second Act Trouble' - Steven Suskin
Posted: 4/2/06 at 11:31pm

Did anyone else notice all the spelling and punctuation errors? There was some shoddy editing involved.

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#18re: 'Second Act Trouble' - Steven Suskin
Posted: 4/2/06 at 11:46pm

I enjoyed it, but it's no Not Since Carrie...

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

WheelsofaDream Profile Photo
WheelsofaDream
#19re: 'Second Act Trouble' - Steven Suskin
Posted: 7/26/06 at 8:48pm

Just finished this book. I liked it a lot. I think the idea of using hopeful journalism pieces from the time period before the show actually opened (in most cases) was really effective. Then when the sad crushing reality of failure came down you had a better understanding why.

I think the book shows a deep respect for these musicals. As for the grammar issues, the huge majority of the ones I noticed occurred within the period articles themselves. I wonder if they were kept in because the author couldn't change the original articles.

Besides Not Since Carrie, are there any other similar books worth checking out?

ThankstoPhantom
#20re: 'Second Act Trouble' - Steven Suskin
Posted: 7/26/06 at 9:42pm

I prefer his own writing over his collection of articles (although I like them as well). Read his short-lived Broadway Yearbook series, he really takes you in.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

TheEnchantedHunter
#21re: 'Second Act Trouble' - Steven Suskin
Posted: 7/26/06 at 11:32pm

Very disappointing, as the use of source materials to provide the overview of the shows is a bit of a dodge. NOT SINCE CARRIE recaps the histories of flops in a far more thorough fashion. Other than a few items of interest, like Lainie Kazan's letter to the press rebutting some innuendo about her ot Harvey Sabinson's account of the ad campaign for SUBWAYS ARE FOR SLEEPING (an old chestnut, in any event), it's a lacklustre read at best, not to mention horrendously edited (Lynn Flaherty and Steve Ahrens apparently wrote some flops, too---never heard of them). Save your money or get it from the library if you must.

Phyllis Stone
Washington, D.C.

Updated On: 7/26/06 at 11:32 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#22re: 'Second Act Trouble' - Steven Suskin
Posted: 7/27/06 at 10:00am

Looks like I will get this on the remainder shelf whenever it turns up

Poster Emeritus

Videos