Playbill collections

#0Playbill collections
Posted: 2/6/06 at 4:18pm

I know you guys collect them, so how many does everyone have?

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#1re: Playbill collections
Posted: 2/6/06 at 4:38pm

too many

Yankeefan007
#2re: Playbill collections
Posted: 2/6/06 at 4:40pm

about 250 blank ones and roughly 100 signed ones. Give or take a few....

bwayondabrain
#3re: Playbill collections
Posted: 2/7/06 at 7:26pm

well, i have about 20 right now of shows ive seen (out of towner!), but I'm signed up for a Playbill Opening Night Playbill Service so i get Opening Night show playbills for the next year in the mail! :)

zippyjen Profile Photo
zippyjen
#4re: Playbill collections
Posted: 2/7/06 at 9:30pm

i have one from every show i have seen on and off broadway starting from peter pan to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

"At the opening night party, they had clowns on stilts, jugglers, a chocolate fountain, popcorn, hot dogs. [My son] looked at me like I had been holding back. Like, 'This is what you do?' I had to tell him, 'No, no, darling. Opening nights don't usually look like this.' It's usually a dark bar with a bottle of vodka." ?Chitty Chitty Bang Bang's Jan Maxwell plus i proudly share the title of the shortest member over the age of 10 with wickedrentq!

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#5re: Playbill collections
Posted: 2/7/06 at 9:32pm

I have one for every show I've seen since A Chorus Line in 1987, and a few extras here and there from ones people have brought me - totalling probably about 125 or so.

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

umgeoboy Profile Photo
umgeoboy
#6re: Playbill collections
Posted: 2/7/06 at 9:35pm

I have two boxes overflowing with them. Each playbill is in a sealed plastic bag. (Yes I have too much time on my hand). They go back to Cats from 1983 (My first show).

"Judy Garland, Jimmy Dean, You tragedy Queen" ~ Taboo

"Watching a frat boy realize just what he put his d!ck in...ex's getting std's...schadenfruede" ~ Ave Q

"when dangers near, exploit their fear" ~ Reefer Madness the Musical

ihearttheatre
#7re: Playbill collections
Posted: 2/7/06 at 9:39pm

I have every show I've ever seen, minus The Phantom of the Opera, which I lost. I didn't like Phantom, but I wish I had the Playbill just to complete my collection. oh well..

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
#8re: Playbill collections
Posted: 2/7/06 at 9:54pm

Hundreds, never counted.

Eileen2 Profile Photo
Eileen2
#9re: Playbill collections
Posted: 2/8/06 at 12:32am

One from every show I've ever seen, including if I've seen a show more then once. Going back to A Chorus Line, my first show on Broadway in 1987. I have to do something more to preserve them.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#10re: Playbill collections
Posted: 2/8/06 at 6:03am

Enough to decorate my closet doors.

I seriously did that once.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

jasobres
#11re: Playbill collections
Posted: 2/8/06 at 7:37am

I don't know, about 1,000, including programs from school plays. It would probably be about one story high if piled up.

"Ev'ry-buddy wants ta get into de act!" - Jimmy Durante "Breathe from your hoo-hoo." -Kristin Chenoweth
Updated On: 2/8/06 at 07:37 AM

once a month Profile Photo
once a month
#12re: Playbill collections
Posted: 2/8/06 at 8:09am

I guess I'm downright anal about them! I have 15 Playbill binders for the shows I've been to, 1 leather Playbill with slipcases for all those 'special' limited editions or signed Playbills, and over a thousand loose Playbills.....alphabeticalized for easy access (and to give away).

I've also collected a program, a poster and coffee mug from every show I've attended that had those items for sale at the theatre.

wexy
#13re: Playbill collections
Posted: 2/8/06 at 9:25am

Around 350 arranged chronologically in a storage thingy from Staples.

'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'

Oscar Jaffee Profile Photo
Oscar Jaffee
#14re: Playbill collections
Posted: 2/10/06 at 11:31am

I have an "On the Twentieth Century" Playbill for each month it played on Broadway, including the Feb. 19, 1978, opening night edition. I also have the Boston tryout Playbill from the show. The show only ran 13 months, so it's not as many Playbills as you think. I'm a fanatical "On the Twentieth Century" collector, as you might have noticed.
Updated On: 2/10/06 at 11:31 AM

Mark in Oakland
#15re: Playbill collections
Posted: 2/10/06 at 2:30pm

I have saved the Playbill( and the program if not Playbill) for every Boradway and out of town show I have seen since May 1960. I'd estimate that they now number over a thousand and include most of the successful and "biggies" as well as many, many not so big or famous or successful. I also maintain a database of all the shows/concerts I've seen including relevant info. Obsessive-compulsive? YES!

Fantabulous428 Profile Photo
Fantabulous428
#16re: Playbill collections
Posted: 2/10/06 at 2:34pm

I need to find a good way to organize mine. I saw the playbill binders but I didn't really like it and thought I could make my own - except that I couldn't find those plastic 3 hole punched sheets in playbill size.

I recognize the addiction to being alive.

Videos