Threepenny Opera

QMAN03 Profile Photo
QMAN03
#0Threepenny Opera
Posted: 2/6/06 at 11:09pm

I realized today that ther really isn't that much talk of the new revival here at Broadwayworld. SO I figured I'd start a thread devoted to it. I'll just start it off with a question:

Is the show any good? I'm not talking specifically about the revival. I'm just wondering if it will be worth seeing based on past productions?

Kringas
#1re: Threepenny Opera
Posted: 2/6/06 at 11:12pm

It's a masterpiece. Immediately get your hands on the 1954 and 1994 cast recordings.

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#2re: Threepenny Opera
Posted: 2/6/06 at 11:16pm

The cast looks mighty interesting to me, with Cyndi Lauper, Alan Cumming, Ana Gasteyer, CARLOS LEON, LOL.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Kringas
#3re: Threepenny Opera
Posted: 2/6/06 at 11:17pm

And Nellie McKay!

I cannot wait to see this.

C is for Company
#4re: Threepenny Opera
Posted: 2/6/06 at 11:19pm

Brooke Sunny Moriber is back! Just as Craig predicted! Only this was weeks before. Interesting....
Well heres to a hopefully satisfying and wonderful revival

QMAN03 Profile Photo
QMAN03
#5re: Threepenny Opera
Posted: 2/6/06 at 11:35pm

So I'm getting the message that the show is very good. Could they possibly screw up the revival?

Kringas
#6re: Threepenny Opera
Posted: 2/6/06 at 11:38pm

Sure. It's a new translation. The fact that it's Wallace Shawn writing it is encouraging, but who knows? Few shows are foolproof.

McKay's a great singer and songwriter and has great personality, but who knows if she can act?

Same with Lauper. I have high hopes for both, though.

I'm also not too sure about Cumming as Macheath. He may surprise me, but he's kind of a one-trick pony to me.

QMAN03 Profile Photo
QMAN03
#7re: Threepenny Opera
Posted: 2/6/06 at 11:41pm

Eh, I love Alan. He's the man.

Kringas
#8re: Threepenny Opera
Posted: 2/6/06 at 11:43pm

I usually can take him or leave him.

QMAN03 Profile Photo
QMAN03
#9re: Threepenny Opera
Posted: 2/7/06 at 12:19am

I heard he was great in Cabaret (a production I still dream about seeing). But this show does look promising. I'm just trying to decide to see this or Awake and Sing.

Kringas
#10re: Threepenny Opera
Posted: 2/7/06 at 12:32am

I saw him in Cabaret and thought he was good. It was before I'd seen him in anything else. I still think he just varies the same theme.

Updated On: 2/7/06 at 12:32 AM

TheatreMonkey Profile Photo
TheatreMonkey
#11re: Threepenny Opera
Posted: 2/7/06 at 12:42am

Which is the best recording to get? I've heard nothing but negative feedback about the Sting revival.

Any thoughts?

~Sam

Kringas
#12re: Threepenny Opera
Posted: 2/7/06 at 1:13am

I got my head bit off the last time I suggested this, but I have to suck it up and do it again. I say get the 1994 Donmar recording first. The lyrics have an edge and a bite that's lacking in the 1954 New York Cast.

Granted, 1954 has Lotte Lenya (former child prostitute and Weill's wife and muse) doing the definitive "Pirate Jenny," but Bliztstein's lyrics really don't sting much fifty years later, if they ever really did.

I'd love to get my hands on the late 70s recording with Raul Julia and Ellen Greene, but I don't think it's ever been released on cd.

1954 has Charlotte Rae, Bea Arthur and Jo Sullivan, though.

You really need both. But start with Donmar.

elmore3003
#13re: Threepenny Opera
Posted: 2/7/06 at 7:57am

I'm a great fan of Marc Blitzstein's English version of THREEPENNY OPERA, and they cannot be judged by the recording: he was forced to launder the lyrics in the studio to appease some prudes. I've tried unsuccessfully several times to get a recording made with his original lyrics.

The other important thing about his lyrics is that they are funny, which isn't always true of Brecht's, and they often achieve their point without beating the grittiness into the audience's face. I think this was both a smart thing in 1952, when the translation was done, and one reason why the show survived so long. In 1928, THREREPENNY OPERA was a comedy; each time Brecht republished the script, without Weill's approval or input, he increased his anti-capitalist rant.

Do you know this lyric to "Mack the Knife" suppressed on the recording:
There was rape down by the harbor
Little Susie caused a stir
Claiming that she'd been assaulted
Wonder what got into her?

Much funnier than the original German.

Cleopatra reclining on her asp is both funny and apt in the "Solomon Song," and better than Brecht.

However, a new and good translation of any piece to keep it contemporary is always welcome. I know Mr Shawn and like him much. I wish him well, and I look forward to hearing his work.

aud88_99
#14re: Threepenny Opera
Posted: 2/7/06 at 8:40am

So help me out here though - I'm reading in the cast announcement that someone named Brian is playing the part of Lucy. Is that a misprint or true? Or is Brian really a girl??

Or is this going to be a REALLY different production??

IssaMe
#15re: Threepenny Opera
Posted: 2/7/06 at 9:01am

Plus Romain Fruge.

Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
#16re: Threepenny Opera
Posted: 2/7/06 at 9:50am

Brian Charles Rooney is going to be playing Lucy Brown. I am not sure how the role is going to be done because I am not all that familiar with the show. However, Brian is a very funny and talented performer. He played Jinx this past summer in a production of Forever Plaid that played here in Charlotte, NC from April through June and was very good.

"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." --Harold Hill from The Music Man

ihearttheatre
#17re: Threepenny Opera
Posted: 2/7/06 at 10:30am

I really want to see this because of the cast, but I know nothing about the show. How complex are the story and music? Will I need to be acquainted with them beforehand to fully understand and appreciate it?

Jon
#18re: Threepenny Opera
Posted: 2/7/06 at 11:21am

Is Lucy going to be played in drag or is Lucy now going to be a male character??? Is Macheath now bisexual???

TinyDancer Profile Photo
TinyDancer
#19re: Threepenny Opera
Posted: 2/7/06 at 12:15pm

Updated On: 2/23/06 at 12:15 PM

Demitri2 Profile Photo
Demitri2
#20re: Threepenny Opera
Posted: 2/7/06 at 12:31pm

The show seems to be open for new translations. I actually saw a production that starred Chita Rivera as not only the streetsinger but also as the prostitute. Not only did she sing/dance "Mack The Knife" but also "Pirate Jenny" (no she didn't dance to this song).

Kringas
#21re: Threepenny Opera
Posted: 2/7/06 at 1:52pm

Elmore, I had no idea that Blitzstein had to sanitize his lyrics for the recording. Fascinating. I'll have to see out his original lyrics. Thanks for the info!

cathywellerstein Profile Photo
cathywellerstein
#22re: Threepenny Opera
Posted: 2/7/06 at 8:15pm

anyone have any idea on what the rush policies will be like? and if there will be any?

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#23re: Threepenny Opera
Posted: 2/7/06 at 8:23pm

I just can't wait to see Alan and Ana on stage again again.

Dollypop
#24re: Threepenny Opera
Posted: 2/7/06 at 9:33pm

I have really TRIED to like THREEPENNY OPERA. I saw a production where Chita Rivera played the Streetsinger AND Jenny. Then there was the Raul Julia production at Lincoln Center. The dissonant score repulses me and I've found the story to be depressing as hell.

I won't bother seeing the new production.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)