pixeltracker

Hi! I need your advice. Am I hired by a Broadway show?

Hi! I need your advice. Am I hired by a Broadway show?

johnjohn
#0Hi! I need your advice. Am I hired by a Broadway show?
Posted: 2/7/06 at 7:49pm

Hi!I went on an audition last week in which I had a private appt for because a casting director told me I'd fit a few roles in two broadway plays. I went and was met by many directors sitting in the room. I stayed in the room for about 16 minutes and the casting directors said"You were great!" and "Your in!". I left shaking their hands and am still wondering if I will be getting a call back and if so, would someone kindly tell me how long it generally takes for a broadway director to call you back? This is very nerve wracking. I wish I knew one way or the other. Thamks to all, Johnjohn

JRTO
#1re: Hi! I need your advice. Am I hired by a Broadway show?
Posted: 2/7/06 at 8:01pm

"you were great, you're in" sounds pretty positive to me. who knows how long it could take though- many variables:
-do they have a theatre
-do they have more money
-are they really ready to move to the next step.

There are so many other things happening at the same time as casting- and any one of them could screw up and send them off their track. If that's the case, it could be months!

If everything is a go though, you could hear anytime from the day after to a week- week and 1/2. After that I would be suspicious.

Break a leg!

ps. those were all probably producers, except for a director and a couple of casting directors.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#2re: Hi! I need your advice. Am I hired by a Broadway show?
Posted: 2/7/06 at 8:05pm

Isn't there someone associated with either the audition or the show itself that you can call and ask?

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Gothampc
#3re: Hi! I need your advice. Am I hired by a Broadway show?
Posted: 2/7/06 at 8:08pm

"This is very nerve wracking."

You're in the wrong business if this bothers you. Some Broadway stars have gone back for as many as 8 callbacks.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

RentBoy86
#4re: Hi! I need your advice. Am I hired by a Broadway show?
Posted: 2/7/06 at 8:10pm

No, goth, it's normal to be nervous. No matter how much you enjoy being infront of an audience, the audition process is always nerve wracking. No worries. The moment you stop getting butterflies before going on stage or into an audition, then I think you're too comfortable.

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#5re: Hi! I need your advice. Am I hired by a Broadway show?
Posted: 2/7/06 at 8:14pm

Totally agree- Idina herself broke a note at her Wicked audition and muttered a choice word. Everyone gets nervous.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
TinyDancer Profile Photo
TinyDancer
#7re: Hi! I need your advice. Am I hired by a Broadway show?
Posted: 2/7/06 at 11:48pm

Updated On: 2/23/06 at 11:48 PM

FindingNamo
#8re: Hi! I need your advice. Am I hired by a Broadway show?
Posted: 2/7/06 at 11:55pm

Did they make you take off your clothes?

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#9re: Hi! I need your advice. Am I hired by a Broadway show?
Posted: 2/7/06 at 11:57pm

Jeez, Namo, at least give me credit if you're going to use my words.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

BSoBW3 Profile Photo
BSoBW3
#10re: Hi! I need your advice. Am I hired by a Broadway show?
Posted: 2/7/06 at 11:58pm

Damn, I'm in Namo's sig.

I don't know if I should celebrate or torture little kids!

The smallest stream is a valent river. It will drown me if it can.

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#11re: Hi! I need your advice. Am I hired by a Broadway show?
Posted: 2/8/06 at 12:01am

I feel a Love, Carla
coming

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

wonderwaiter Profile Photo
wonderwaiter
#12re: Hi! I need your advice. Am I hired by a Broadway show?
Posted: 2/8/06 at 12:02am

BSo, who says the two have to be mutually exclusive?

And no one grew into anything new, we just became the worst of what we were."

BSoBW3 Profile Photo
BSoBW3
#13re: Hi! I need your advice. Am I hired by a Broadway show?
Posted: 2/8/06 at 12:03am

Elphaba - you ALWAYS feel a love, carla coming.

WW - Well, who says I couldn't do both simultaneously? re: Hi! I need your advice. Am I hired  by a Broadway show?

The smallest stream is a valent river. It will drown me if it can.
Updated On: 2/8/06 at 12:03 AM

TargemQ8 Profile Photo
TargemQ8
#14re: Hi! I need your advice. Am I hired by a Broadway show?
Posted: 2/8/06 at 12:05am

Nothing anyone says (director, casting director) means anything until you have signed a contract. It sounds good for you, but I know too many people (myself included) who have been told in no uncertain terms that they were "in" a show, then been dropped. Nothing counts before it is on paper.

johnjohn
#15re: Hi! I need your advice. Am I hired by a Broadway show?
Posted: 2/8/06 at 5:01am

Thanks so much everyone!
I've learned a few things. No, I didn't just chat, they had me sing two songs. Then, they had me pose in two angles. However, I guess you are right, I should take anything they say with a grain of salt until you have signed on the dotted line. I'm so glad I found this forum. You guys are great. Break a leg to all of you as well! Oh,would it be okay to email the casting director a thank you because I don't have his address? Or, would that make him mad? Thanks, Johnjohn

Sing a Song With Me Profile Photo
Sing a Song With Me
#16re: Hi! I need your advice. Am I hired by a Broadway show?
Posted: 2/8/06 at 8:38am

They made you...pose...in two angles?
That's highly unusual. One can only hope that pose two was not ankles in the air.

erikaamato
#17re: Hi! I need your advice. Am I hired by a Broadway show?
Posted: 2/8/06 at 11:37am

johnjohn: Hmmmmmmmm... They made you pose? Odd. And you didn't read any sides or songs from the show? Just two songs of your own choice? Then I'd have to agree with TinyDancer; it sounds like a preliminary audition. A pre-screen, if you will. But you obviously did great, which is wonderful, and hopefully they'll call you in again! Congrats on a successful audition!

P.S. You made me laugh, Sing a Song With Me!

Kungaloosh1937 Profile Photo
Kungaloosh1937
#18re: Hi! I need your advice. Am I hired by a Broadway show?
Posted: 2/8/06 at 12:10pm

"Idina herself"

Good god, it's like she's Jesus all of a sudden.

And she broke a LOT of notes during Wicked. Not just during the audition. Although I think the Tony performance is best documented...

Bluewatergables
#19re: Hi! I need your advice. Am I hired by a Broadway show?
Posted: 2/8/06 at 2:19pm

before the rest of us jump to conclusions, you should explain the posing thing. first reaction. you had lame liars getting a cheap thrill and the casting person was the "psuedo-pimp" be careful

michelle4
#20re: Hi! I need your advice. Am I hired by a Broadway show?
Posted: 2/8/06 at 2:31pm

It is customary to follow up an audition of this sort with a postcard. You should be able to get the casting directors address from the Ross Reports.

#21re: Hi! I need your advice. Am I hired by a Broadway show?
Posted: 2/8/06 at 2:45pm

Idina's voice really breaks? I feel so much better now to know this happens even to the best of the best.

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#22re: Hi! I need your advice. Am I hired by a Broadway show?
Posted: 2/8/06 at 2:49pm

When you called Idina Menzel the "best of the best" I threw up a little in my mouth -- no, not a little, a lot.

Videos