Spamalot Tour Review 3/8/06

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#0Spamalot Tour Review 3/8/06
Posted: 3/8/06 at 11:24pm

Ok..
I'll try to be thorough and brief at the same time.
Overall, I was very entertained, and sitting directly across the aisle from Eric Idle was a kick. He seemed to be loving the show.

You can tell that the performers are still finding where the laughs are, as this is only their 2nd performance, but this cast (mostly) has the potential to be great. I guess the best thing to do is break it down by actor/character, so here goes.

Michael Siberry (Arthur)-What a surprise. I hated him in the London production of Chicago, but loved him here. He was wacky, loveable, rather handsome (hehe) and seemed to be having a ball.

Pia Glenn (Lady..Lake)-She is tall, and statuesque, and looks quite a bit like Heather Headley. She is still finding where to use her head voice and her belt, but the opening of "Find Your Grail" and the "Diva's Lament" were sassy, full of attitude and well sung. Unfortunately, she held back a bit in "The Song That Goes Like This" and was lost due to sound problems at the end of "Find Your Grail," but I'm sure this will be fixed/improved upon in time. Side note...she gets top biling with Michael Siberry and takes the second to last curtain call just before Siberry. I believe this differs from the NY production

Bradley Dean(Galahad)-Good looking, funny, great actor, weak singer. Unfortunately, the one place where he struck out tonight was in "TSTGLT," which I was so looking forward to. If he and Pia would let loose and belt it, it will work more than it did tonight.

Tom Deckman (Historian, Herbert etc.)-LOVED him. He's the guy from Sex and the City who told Charlotte that her dog was pregnant. He was adorable, especially as Prince Herbert....and what a voice! He should be working more...one of the highlights for me tonight.

Jeff Dumas(Patsy)- So cute...so sweet, great singer, loved him....played his part to perfection.

Christopher Gurr(Bedevere)- He was fine...the part seemed small...but he played it well

Rick Holmes (Lancelot)- fantabulous...and HOT. I adored Mr. Holmes in Cabaret a few years back, and he is great here. He needs to work a 'bit' on his French accent, but he was very enjoyable.....he might have actually made a better Galahad...hmm.

David Turner (Sir Robin)- Wow....I think he was my favorite tonight. Where has this guy been? He just seemed so natural. His 'Broadway' number was a showstopper, and he just seemed to completely embody his character(s) at all times. I always found myself smiling when he entered. I think he'd be an excellent choice to replace DHP in the NY company.

To sum up....it's definately going to get 'there,' and I think with this kind of humor, you need to have a bit of time to work with an audience to truly nail it. I would love to see this cast in a few weeks. The acting, singing and dancing from the ensemble is stellar and the orchestra sounds full and wonderful (though a bit synthetic at times, but that was without question, the fault of the sound system). It's nice to see audiences across the country getting a production that is of the same quality that NY audiences get. Bravo!

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#1re: Spamalot Tour Review 3/8/06
Posted: 3/8/06 at 11:25pm

Didn't read yet, but thanks!!!!

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

RentBoy86
#2re: Spamalot Tour Review 3/8/06
Posted: 3/9/06 at 12:02am

Good review. Wasn't Bradley Dean in the Evita tour or something? I figured if he did that then he musta been a relatively good singer.

How are the technical aspects? As good as in NYC or scaled back a little?

Princeton78
#3re: Spamalot Tour Review 3/8/06
Posted: 3/9/06 at 12:10am

I did not see the show in NYC, but it seemed to look like all the pictures i've seen.

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#4re: Spamalot Tour Review 3/8/06
Posted: 3/9/06 at 12:18am

nice! the lady of the lake is black? hot!

millie_dillmount
#5re: Spamalot Tour Review 3/8/06
Posted: 3/9/06 at 12:22am

There's a picture of her here...not very good:

http://www.talkinbroadway.com/regional/la/la83.html

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

millie_dillmount
#6re: Spamalot Tour Review 3/8/06
Posted: 3/9/06 at 12:53am

Question:

How are orchestra box seats in the Colonial? How obstructed is the view and how close to stage is it?

TinyDancer Profile Photo
TinyDancer
#7re: Spamalot Tour Review 3/8/06
Posted: 3/9/06 at 1:12am

Bradley Dean is not a weak singer. He may still be finding his way with the SPAMELOT score as it's early in the run, but he is absolutely NOT a 'weak singer'. I saw him go on for Brian Stokes Mitchell and the extended ovation (at least a minute long) he received for IMPOSSIBLE DREAM was more than deserved. I've also seen him in other shows and every time he's been in fantastic voice and brought down the house.

tinydancer

Princeton78
#8re: Spamalot Tour Review 3/8/06
Posted: 3/9/06 at 1:32am

If he isn't a weak singer, then he's not comfortable with this music then...it's a shame. He has the best song in the show..and it seemed to just slip by without making a ripple tonight. Pia was trying.

Princeton78
#9re: Spamalot Tour Review 3/8/06
Posted: 3/9/06 at 1:32am

And I'd imagine that the box seats at the Colonial would be very obstructed.....

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#10re: Spamalot Tour Review 3/8/06
Posted: 3/9/06 at 8:59am

Good review, Princeton.

I will be curious to see how this does on tour. And who is cast in the various locations. Thanks for sharing this with us!

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#11re: Spamalot Tour Review 3/8/06
Posted: 3/9/06 at 9:12am

I was thinking the same thing. I got replaced by Bradley Dean once (they needed a baritone, not a tenor, really, but they still wanted the curly hair apparently) and I was IMPRESSED by his voice in DC's Children of Eden a year or so ago.
I will go with Princeton on this, though, because I am recalling Galahad's music and I don't think it's quite a fit for Bradley.

Princeton78
#12re: Spamalot Tour Review 3/8/06
Posted: 3/9/06 at 9:14am

Chris Sieber's voice is like honey in the song...
Bradley was choppy, a bit shrill and used too much vibrato....
I'm sure he'll improve, just noted that the music is not a great match for him. Acting wise, he's superb.

Cabchic
#13re: Spamalot Tour Review 3/8/06
Posted: 3/9/06 at 9:52am

How was Pia with the comedic aspect of the role. That seems to be the problem with various women who played it on Broadway. Especially the Camelot scene. It seems that is the role they have the most trouble casting. Someone posted a review on ATC saying she was dreadful, but that was for the dress rehearsal. I'm sure they all will improve in time. Glad to see it looks to be in pretty good shape.

Princeton78
#14re: Spamalot Tour Review 3/8/06
Posted: 3/9/06 at 11:15am

Pia was fine...
Again..I think it's a show that needs to play in front of an audience a bit before it really nails the jokes. No, she's not the huge personality that Sara was/is, but I think she'll be fine. She's absolutely beautiful and has tons o' attitude. re: Spamalot Tour Review 3/8/06

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#15re: Spamalot Tour Review 3/8/06
Posted: 3/9/06 at 11:27am

I plan on seeing this when it plays in DC.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

peach
#16re: Spamalot Tour Review 3/8/06
Posted: 3/9/06 at 11:47am

Thanks for the review! I am seeing it next week - hopefully some of the kinks will have worked out by then, but over all it sounds like it is in decent shape. Thanks again!

mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
#17re: Spamalot Tour Review 3/8/06
Posted: 3/9/06 at 12:07pm

I can't believe you didn't like Michael Siberry in the London production of Chicago. For me, he was the best Billy Flynn I've seen.

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!

rclocalz Profile Photo
rclocalz
#18re: Spamalot Tour Review 3/8/06
Posted: 3/9/06 at 12:43pm

So um, in the Broadway production, the Lady of the Lake rose out of the stage in several scenes for her entrance. How do they do it on the tour? Does she just walk out?

http://www.glamsmash.com/ - Glamsmash Productions, a video production company in the heart of New York City

Princeton78
#19re: Spamalot Tour Review 3/8/06
Posted: 3/9/06 at 12:45pm

The castle set is moved away amist a sea of fog, and when the fog clears, she and her Laker Girls are in place and she has her back to the audience....

Magdalene Profile Photo
Magdalene
#20re: Spamalot Tour Review 3/8/06
Posted: 3/9/06 at 2:37pm

Can't wait to see it (again) in Pittsburgh! Thanks for the review!

"NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"

paddy
#21re: Spamalot Tour Review 3/8/06
Posted: 3/9/06 at 3:17pm

I was there last night where was Eric Idle

Princeton78
#22re: Spamalot Tour Review 3/8/06
Posted: 3/9/06 at 3:37pm

I'd say Orch Center row F or so on the right aisle.

paddy
#23re: Spamalot Tour Review 3/8/06
Posted: 3/9/06 at 3:38pm

thanks, I was in front of him in AA thats why I didnt see him

BSoBW3 Profile Photo
BSoBW3
#24re: Spamalot Tour Review 3/8/06
Posted: 3/9/06 at 3:43pm

David Turner (Sir Robin)- Wow....I think he was my favorite tonight. Where has this guy been? He just seemed so natural. His 'Broadway' number was a showstopper, and he just seemed to completely embody his character(s) at all times. I always found myself smiling when he entered. I think he'd be an excellent choice to replace DHP in the NY company.

SWEETNESS!

The smallest stream is a valent river. It will drown me if it can.

Videos