RENT - How long do you give it?

#0RENT - How long do you give it?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 8:51am

With the less than stellar movie doing nearly nothing to boost ticket sales on Broadway, I'm just curious to see how long people on this board think that RENT will last on Broadway.

Personally, I give it another two years tops.

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#1re: RENT - How long do you give it?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 8:56am

Well with ticket sales between 80-90 percent, I think there's still PLENTY of life left in the show....

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

#2re: RENT - How long do you give it?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 8:57am

Just out of curiosity, how was LES MIZ doing business-wise when they decided to close it?

Fantabulous428 Profile Photo
Fantabulous428
#3re: RENT - How long do you give it?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 9:01am

With the less than stellar movie doing nearly nothing to boost ticket sales on Broadway.

That's not really true. Just look at the numbers. The movie has definitely increased ticket sales.

I recognize the addiction to being alive.

LeaGirl Profile Photo
LeaGirl
#4re: RENT - How long do you give it?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 9:06am

The movie gave the show a HUGE advance - (well, huge for Rent).

With intensely low running costs, and a healthy attendance record (healthier than one they've had in the last few years) I can't imagine that it's going anywhere anytime soon. It's like Chicago, it practically runs itself. And for the first time in a LONG time - Rent is selling premium tickets - check out their "top ticket price" numbers.

Anyhow, the Les Mis closing (I felt) was out of nowhere, the show wasn't posting dismal numbers, that was more of a "decision" than a "oh crap we've got to close right now"

Now what would you say if today I started over? Without a thing but this taped together four leaf clover And I'll pretend like everything is already alright And I'll run toward the sun till the castle's out of sight

Fantabulous428
#5re: RENT - How long do you give it?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 9:11am

I think that Les Mis's producers knew they wanted to close the show while it was still at a high point.

#6re: RENT - How long do you give it?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 9:11am

That's what I'm getting at though. I didn't say the movie did nothing. It did SOMETHING, but not what the producers were hoping, I imagine.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel it's just time for the show to close. And I'm not anti-RENT. I've seen the show and I've seen the movie and I liked them both. Granted I'm no RENT-head, but for some reason I just can't help thinking that the show is on it's last legs.

Fantabulous428
#7re: RENT - How long do you give it?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 9:15am

After the release of the movie, Rent was sold out and had tickets sales at 100 %. I don't think the producers could have asked for anything more than that, considering the ticket sales beforehand. And yea, right now it's at 88 % (last weeks sales) - but this is not exactly Broadway's best season, in general.

Thesbijean
#8re: RENT - How long do you give it?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 9:49am

It costs $315,000 to run every week.

It isn't going anywhere for a long time.

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#9re: RENT - How long do you give it?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 9:57am

You feel it's time for the show to close? Why? If you've seen it and had your fill - great. But there are millions of people that haven't seen it. Why would you desire a show that reaches and has touched the lives of so many to close? Makes little sense.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#10re: RENT - How long do you give it?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 10:03am

With the less than stellar movie doing nearly nothing

I didn't say the movie did nothing. It did SOMETHING

....... that's some of the weirdest backpedaling I've seen in a while.

IMO, someone needs to go in there and clean the show up, badly. I think it was Les Mis, wasn't it, where during the run the show was entirely re-cast, etc? That's what they need to do with Rent. Granted, it's in much better shape now than it was a year ago, but that's not saying *all* that much.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#11re: RENT - How long do you give it?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 10:05am

Unfortunately, I think it has many years left in its run. I LOVE the show, but I'm done with it and will not go back to that theater until something new opens there.

LeaGirl Profile Photo
LeaGirl
#12re: RENT - How long do you give it?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 10:07am

That Les Mis housecleaning was fantastic. They just stuck the tour right on in there while they summarily fired most of the broadway cast - when I went back, one of the ONLY people I recognized was that little girl playing young Cosette (you know, the one that ended up being Disney's Annie?) - talk about making the show fresh and keeping the actors on their toes....

I felt bad for the actors but the show was DRAGGING. And it was NEVER dragging again. And I think everybody that works for Cameron Mac now just sort of... knows that could happen.

Now what would you say if today I started over? Without a thing but this taped together four leaf clover And I'll pretend like everything is already alright And I'll run toward the sun till the castle's out of sight
Updated On: 4/12/06 at 10:07 AM

Kevinoes Profile Photo
Kevinoes
#13re: RENT - How long do you give it?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 10:10am

Les Miz was actually doing fairly medicore as I recall when it closed - I mean, for Les Miz. They announced the closing date about 8 months in advance, didn't they? I remember at that point it was doing 50-60% with the occasional 40%+. That's pretty bad in Cam Mackintosh land.

Sparklesss Profile Photo
Sparklesss
#14re: RENT - How long do you give it?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 11:08am

i hope not for a while...i personally like going to see RENT and the different actors playing Roger. What is the premium ticket deal? I noticed that for Wicked too and i thought wow 300 bucks?

Becky
#15re: RENT - How long do you give it?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 11:36am

Personally, I give it another two years tops.

People were saying this very thing in '97...'98...'99, etc. Goes to show you never know.

Updated On: 4/12/06 at 11:36 AM

MaronaDavies
#16re: RENT - How long do you give it?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 11:56am

I think it's got at least a couple of years ahead of it. That theatre will probably need extensive (ie expensive) renovations before they can bring another show in, so it's not as if the Nederlanders are going to be in a hurry to push Rent out.

robyn525600
#17re: RENT - How long do you give it?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 12:14pm

I want it to close for selfish reasons - so it will become available to local theaters so I can be in it! : )

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away."

neocomposer Profile Photo
neocomposer
#18re: RENT - How long do you give it?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 1:38pm

Speaking of Rent...I really like the cast right now. Go sometimes soon!

"That Sondheim kid has a big future."-Nathan Lane

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#19re: RENT - How long do you give it?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 1:43pm

Yes, the show is definitely in better form now than it has been for the last year or so, but improvements could still be made. Matt Caplan needs to go, he phones in each and every performance.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#20re: RENT - How long do you give it?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 1:58pm

I think it has some years left in it, and I agree with those who say its needs to be re-cast, or just plain overhauled (get the director and musical director in there, please!). If they shape it up, it'll have even more time in it.

I hardly think it needs to go as many like to say. While many of us think it's had it's time, I think young people are still just getting into it as they reach that general age. I think if more care is put into the show, it SHOULD run for at least a few more years.

Chicboheme
#21re: RENT - How long do you give it?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 2:04pm

I think Rent has a few years left, i just think they need to recast some of the characters. Some of them have been in the show so long, the role is no longer exciting for them. I want to see some new and talented actors in the show. I have seen Rent many times on broadway since '98 and its always been a show that keeps its people just a little too long. Also, when Rent started casting B-list celebrities, I know they were trying to bring people in, but it took away from the magic of the show. Luckily, Rent is an inexpensive show to run and the neaderlander isn't the nicest theater.

RentBoy86
#22re: RENT - How long do you give it?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 2:26pm

I would think if they were going to close it, they'd cloes it at some sort of "mark." Like the 10 year anniversary or something like that. Obviously, its not closing for the 10 year, but who knows. Its one of those shows, like Chicago, that I just can't imagine closing. it seems like they've just been here FOREVER. I'm a def. renthead, but I sorta wish it would close. I feel like they've made more than enough money, and its made its mark in American theater. Just tour it for a while, maybe bring it back in some sorta all-star cast - a la Les Miz style - or do some concert thing every now and then.

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#23re: RENT - How long do you give it?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 3:12pm

i think all rent needs to do is go back to its roots and hire a cast of new YOUNG unknownsas opposed to the tired, oft recycled actors who just don't care and are far too old for their roles (there has been 4 benny's on broadway total... in 10 years, and the first 2 were in for roughly a year or so each) and it will run a very long time to come.

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

CrAzIaBoUtReNt
#24re: RENT - How long do you give it?
Posted: 4/12/06 at 3:29pm

"i think all rent needs to do is go back to its roots and hire a cast of new YOUNG unknownsas opposed to the tired, oft recycled actors who just don't care and are far too old for their roles (there has been 4 benny's on broadway total... in 10 years, and the first 2 were in for roughly a year or so each) and it will run a very long time to come. "

ditto. Everyone needs to go besides Justin Johnston. Rent is getting sloppy. Period. The producers need to rehire a younger ENERGETIC cast. I am a whore for the current cast, but the audiences aren't experiencing the experience Rent gave back in the 90's at all.