pixeltracker

Spamalot Tour Question: Piano Cadenza

Spamalot Tour Question: Piano Cadenza

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#0Spamalot Tour Question: Piano Cadenza
Posted: 5/10/06 at 3:13pm

You know how on the cast recording, David Hyde Pierce plays the piano cadenza during "You Can't Succeed on Broadway"? Well, on the tour during the piano cadenza, Bradley Dean (I might be mixing up names with whoever played Galahad) improvised and played the first few opening notes from the theme song in "Cheers" im the middle of the cadenza. I figured that it was because it was in Boston, which has two Cheers restaurants. How does he improvise in the other cities? Does he play something that pays homage to the city or what it is known for?

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#1re: Spamalot Tour Question: Piano Cadenza
Posted: 5/10/06 at 3:22pm

I saw Pierce improvise too, but I forget exactly what he did.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

jboy1 Profile Photo
jboy1
#2re: Spamalot Tour Question: Piano Cadenza
Posted: 5/10/06 at 3:35pm

I think I read that when Kelsey Grammar saw the show, DHP played the theme (or part) from FRASIER.

RIGHT NOW: Closing DISNEY'S WHEN YOU WISH at Marquee Productions (Apr. 23-26)

NEXT UP: Playing Albert Peterson in BYE BYE BIRDIE at The Western Stage in Salinas, CA (Aug. 15-Sept. 5)

Photo: Nick Adams - BEAUTIFUL!!!

millie_dillmount
#3re: Spamalot Tour Question: Piano Cadenza
Posted: 5/10/06 at 6:01pm

What about on the tour besides Boston?

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

LilMiZBroADwaY23
#4re: Spamalot Tour Question: Piano Cadenza
Posted: 5/27/06 at 10:59pm

I didn't really see any improvising in Chicago. There were a few differences, unless I really don't know any Chicago homage songs.

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#5re: Spamalot Tour Question: Piano Cadenza
Posted: 5/27/06 at 11:18pm

Wait they really play the piano?

renthead92 Profile Photo
renthead92
#6re: Spamalot Tour Question: Piano Cadenza
Posted: 5/27/06 at 11:22pm

If he really does do this, I wonder what he'll do for Minnesota?

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#7re: Spamalot Tour Question: Piano Cadenza
Posted: 5/28/06 at 12:40am

In Chicago he played something...I honestly can't remember what it was though....

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

Mythus
#8re: Spamalot Tour Question: Piano Cadenza
Posted: 5/28/06 at 1:43am

It's David Turner who plays Robin, Bradley Dean plays Galahad. Yeah, after I saw it, I wondered if he would do different stuff in different cities. And Millie, it's because the bar they used in Cheers - well, the exterior of it, anyway - the Bull and Finch Pub, is in Boston, and the show's set in Boston, not because we just have "Cheers" bars.

Dre2387 Profile Photo
Dre2387
#9re: Spamalot Tour Question: Piano Cadenza
Posted: 5/28/06 at 1:46am

yeah bwaybaby. David Hyde Pierce did and I guess the others do too. It's really cool.

<--- the set of A Midsummer Night's Dream that I was assistant stage manager for during the 2007 season at the STNJ outdoor stage.

-Dre-
You must remember all the same that at the crux of every game is knowing when it's time to leave the table... And it's important to be artful in your exit. No turning back, you must accept the con is done... It was a ball, it was a blast. And it's a shame it couldn't last. But every chapter has to end, you must agree.
~Dirty Rotten Scoundrels~

There's a special kind of people known as show people. We live in a world full of dreams. Sometimes we're not too certain what's false and what's real. But we're seldom in doubt about what we feel.
~Curtains~

It is a far, far better thing I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest I go to, than I have ever known.
~A Tale of Two Cities ~

Jon
#10re: Spamalot Tour Question: Piano Cadenza
Posted: 5/28/06 at 10:42am

Maybe in Minneapolis he'll play the Mary Tyler Moore Show theme.

LilMiZBroADwaY23
#11re: Spamalot Tour Question: Piano Cadenza
Posted: 5/29/06 at 11:21am

Is there sheet music for the piano cadenza out there at all? I really want to learn how to play it.

deck925 Profile Photo
deck925
#12re: Spamalot Tour Question: Piano Cadenza
Posted: 5/29/06 at 11:35am

I just saw this two saturday's ago and Martin Moran played chopsticks.

I'm kind of a sweat pant, t-shirt, no make-up type of girl. So once a year, I can get spiffy. Sutton Foster :)

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#13re: Spamalot Tour Question: Piano Cadenza
Posted: 5/29/06 at 1:10pm

Nothing to do with this, but Bradley Dean is my friend's dad. And I just had to share because I felt like it.

millie_dillmount
#14re: Spamalot Tour Question: Piano Cadenza
Posted: 7/18/06 at 10:28pm

bump...now that the tour has been out a while, anyone know?