Overrated Shows

jlbpr00
#50re: Overrated Shows
Posted: 5/11/06 at 10:30am

A Chorus Line
Urine Town

You know, ma'am, ? there's nothing I wouldn't do for you. ,If there was a monster or an ogre or anything bad like that wot was after you, I'd rip it apart with my bare fists, I would. - Sweeney Todd

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#51re: Overrated Shows
Posted: 5/11/06 at 10:44am

Regarding Spamalot...."i found it funny, but highly sophomoric and unprofessional "

Have you ever heard of Monty Python? That's sort of the point.

whatacharacter Profile Photo
whatacharacter
#52re: Overrated Shows
Posted: 5/11/06 at 11:29am

The Lion King= an overhyped, overacted, overpriced, tourist trap of a puppet show!

leefowler
#53re: Overrated Shows
Posted: 5/11/06 at 11:36am

I assume that the definition of an "overrated show" is this: Other people liked it more than I did.

Behind the fake tinsel of Broadway is real tinsel.

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#54re: Overrated Shows
Posted: 5/11/06 at 11:36am

Lion King- I'd rather the cast didn't perform that turd of a musical and just paraded silently around the stage in their costumes.

The Producers- It's pretty funny, but 12 Tony's worth of funny? I think not.

Wicked- The craze over this show is beyond me. I wouldn't hate this show as much as I do if it weren't for the irritating obsession over it. Most of the score is very good, but the book blows big time.

-SpamAlot- Sara Ramirez was the only thing that kept me from walking out. What happened to shows having a coherent book?

"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

Updated On: 5/11/06 at 11:36 AM

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#55re: Overrated Shows
Posted: 5/11/06 at 11:41am

I agree on Spamalot. Very overrated.

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

Lavieboheme3090 Profile Photo
Lavieboheme3090
#56re: Overrated Shows
Posted: 5/11/06 at 12:42pm

Lippa's Wild Party.

Roninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
#57re: Overrated Shows
Posted: 5/11/06 at 1:00pm

I know these threads are very self satisfying, but really I'm sure everybody who's posted in this thread has written in at least six other "Favorite/Overrated/Most Hated/ Show/ Favorite Sondheim Quote/ Favorite Glinda/ etc" threads, myself included.

I'm just curious. What do you think is going to happen? If enough of you say Spamalot, do you think the show will close tomorrow? A little gold trophy will materialize on your computer desk? If enough people say they love the line "Careful the things you say, children will listen" Sondheim will come to your door and shake your hand?

Because that's what I'm hoping for. Quick, if enough of us post Gypsy in the Opening Nights you Wish You Could Have Seen thread, we'll open up a stitch in time!

yr ronin,
joey
Updated On: 5/11/06 at 01:00 PM

Colle
#58re: Overrated Shows
Posted: 5/11/06 at 4:12pm

I do want to respond to what alterego(I think) said about "Les Miserables." I like the show because, when done well, I find it a very moving/emotional story. The show has been cut sigificantly since the London day view, to get it around two hours long. It has gotten to the point that the cuts, in certain places, I think have lessed the effect of certain scenes. For example, the last time I saw the show, I thought that "Come to Me"(Fantine's Death) was too short and so lost some effect, and "Plumet Attack" felt too rushed.

As for shows that I think are overated I would say "A Chorus Line." I admit I have never seen the show, but I am sure it is good. However, from what I know about the show, I don't see why it was the longest running musical for awhile. Maybe the problem is that I don't think it is my type of musical.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#59re: Overrated Shows
Posted: 5/11/06 at 4:29pm

Roninjoey - "I'm just curious. What do you think is going to happen? If enough of you say Spamalot, do you think the show will close tomorrow? A little gold trophy will materialize on your computer desk? If enough people say they love the line "Careful the things you say, children will listen" Sondheim will come to your door and shake your hand?"

I don't think anyone assumes anything will happen. It's just posting an opinion and possibly discussing it. You said you post of them yourself. Did you think anything was going to happen?

Colle - "As for shows that I think are overated I would say "A Chorus Line." I admit I have never seen the show, but I am sure it is good. However, from what I know about the show, I don't see why it was the longest running musical for awhile. Maybe the problem is that I don't think it is my type of musical."

You have to remember to put the show in perspective of its era. When A Chorus Line opened, it was original, innovative, clever, endearing, and brilliantly staged/choreographed. Seeing the show makes all the difference. Word of mouth, multiple awards, critical acclaim and two hit songs made A Chorus Line synonymous with Broadway and American musical theatre for years.

alterego - Les Miserables is the single best musical I have ever seen. I do agree with Colle, however, that the cuts over the years have diminished the dramatic effect of many scenes. I prefer the way I originally saw it in 1988. It was the first of the few truly flawless musicals I've seen.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Sant
#60re: Overrated Shows
Posted: 5/11/06 at 6:12pm

LES MISERABLES

THE LION KING

MAMMA MIA!

LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA

NOTRE DAME DE PARIS

ILoveMyDictionary Profile Photo
ILoveMyDictionary
#61re: Overrated Shows
Posted: 5/11/06 at 6:46pm

Spamalot, Mamma Mia, and Cats.

acrocksyo Profile Photo
acrocksyo
#62re: Overrated Shows
Posted: 5/11/06 at 7:48pm

Mamma Mia and Wicked. The book for Wicked was so awful, and don't even get me started on the ending!

http://theaterfag.blogspot.com/ Reviews and the like

#63re: Overrated Shows
Posted: 5/11/06 at 8:04pm

Annie --- I just don't like it, never have, never will.

kaboodles041 Profile Photo
kaboodles041
#64re: Overrated Shows
Posted: 5/11/06 at 9:39pm

Cats (#1 pick), Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (no comment), the Who's Tommy (depressed yawn), Gypsy (double yawn), Guys and Dolls (though I liked it better than the above 4). Will think of more...

Arghh! Grammar pet peeve #1: your vs you're. "Your" is a possessive pronoun. "You're" is the contraction of "you are." <<

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#65re: Overrated Shows
Posted: 5/11/06 at 9:57pm

Updating my list:

Spamalot
Mamma Mia!
CATS
--
Avenue Q
Spelling Bee

I'm separating the last two because well, they're great shows, but they're so...TIRING. I can only listen to the OBCR once and then have to just put it to rest for about 2 months before I can listen to it again.

acrocksyo Profile Photo
acrocksyo
#66re: Overrated Shows
Posted: 5/11/06 at 10:18pm

I fully forgot about Light In The Piazza, the score was so boring, I wanted to take a nap. *yawn* "No I-a must be the one to ask it"

http://theaterfag.blogspot.com/ Reviews and the like

Flahooley Profile Photo
Flahooley
#67re: Overrated Shows
Posted: 5/11/06 at 10:19pm

I must vote for THE LION KING. I got chills of excitement during the openning sequence ... then the rest was just kind of awkward. Outside of the openning.. It was dull..

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#68re: Overrated Shows
Posted: 5/11/06 at 10:25pm

Agreed re: THE LION KING. After the opening, I couldn't wait for it to end. How that show beat the superior, IMHO, RAGTIME for the Tony for Best Musical continues to puzzle me...

Flahooley Profile Photo
Flahooley
#69re: Overrated Shows
Posted: 5/11/06 at 10:32pm

That puzzles me too, jsg,. RAGTIME is a far superior piece of musical theatre. I don't know what the Tony voters were thinking or not thinking.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#70re: Overrated Shows
Posted: 5/11/06 at 10:50pm

The Lion King
Aida (not such a highly-rated shows but people seemed to love it, I personally hated it)
The Producers
Wicked
The Color Purple
Hairspray
Rent
Thoroughly Modern Millie
Gypsy

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Dreamer
#71re: Overrated Shows
Posted: 5/11/06 at 11:10pm

I just saw Wicked on Tuesday and my first thought was overrated. I was a bit disappointed. I guess after hearing how good the show is supposed to be, I had very high expectations and was a little let down.

#72re: Overrated Shows
Posted: 5/11/06 at 11:23pm

RENT
URINETOWN
The current revival of SWEENEY TODD

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#73re: Overrated Shows
Posted: 5/12/06 at 4:01am

Tarzan - I saw during previews, it very obviously stole ideas from other shows (de la guardia/cirque du soleil) in order to keep up the spectacle and cover up the weak book and score.

The Wedding Singer - I saw opening night, the audience really made that for me. All of my friends loved it, the audience loved it, but I just have trouble falling in love. There are parts that I love and songs I love, but I was very underwhelmed. By the end I felt like it was a contest to see how many 80s references could be squeezed in which got tired. It is also such a far cry from the movie, it might as well have been marketed as an original piece in my mind. Just my thoughts...

Piazza is not overrated AT ALL and I can't believe people are listing it. The score is brilliant, the dialogue poignant, and the performances impecable. If any show should have a theater gutted (Lestat's?) and stadium/theater-in-the-round seats installed to have a permanent home on Broadway, it's Piazza. Some people have found it boring, but I feel like any true romantics OR person who has experienced Italy (or is of Italian background -actual Italian, not Italian-Ameican/Gotti-) would would agree its enthralling.

I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America. [turns and winks directly into the camera] - Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) on 30 Rock

Roninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
#74re: Overrated Shows
Posted: 5/12/06 at 4:12am

That's not elitist.

I don't think it has anything to do with having been to Italy, or being of Italian descent. It's just a matter of taste.

yr ronin,
joey