Hairspray Tour

Whiteguy2088 Profile Photo
Whiteguy2088
#0Hairspray Tour
Posted: 5/31/06 at 3:23am

The Hairspray tour, currently at the Pantages in LA is absolutely amazing. Never have I seen such a flawless cast. Always there is one person who seems to be a bit off but every character was amazingly cast. GO SEE IT. It is worth the money...amazing...amazing.

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#1re: Hairspray Tour
Posted: 5/31/06 at 3:57am

Interesting, reviews are all over the board. I saw it last sunday and I thought some were very strong yet some were weak.

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

Parks
#2re: Hairspray Tour
Posted: 5/31/06 at 11:12am

Yes, it definitely has both good and bad cast members. JP was very good for the most part--but sometimes he got lazy and just let his jokes go flat.

I didn't have the pleasure of seeing Keala, but I hear she's absolutely amazing in the role. Her understudy was great too.

The Velma on tour really was one of my favorite parts of the tour. Cassie was great too--but she's now on Broadway. LOVED the Seaweed on tour. The Inez was very annoying. She was very convincing at first until she became too...big with her actions. She tries WAY too hard to be a little girl.

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA

Playbill9117 Profile Photo
Playbill9117
#3re: Hairspray Tour
Posted: 5/31/06 at 11:01pm

I love the tour as well. I've been lucky enough to catch it in several different casting phases. I think they were all amazing.

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#4re: Hairspray Tour
Posted: 5/31/06 at 11:05pm

i don't know the name of the girl who played Motormouth Maybelle at the Boston touring production but i remember thinking she was 10 times better than the OBC

SuttonFan Profile Photo
SuttonFan
#5re: Hairspray Tour
Posted: 6/1/06 at 12:05am

I had the great pleasure of seeing Keala at the Salt Lake City stop. She was absolutely amazing. Such energy, and great comedic timing. This was my first time seeing Hairspray and I absolutely loved it!

"Champagne makes me drowsy!"

WORDS TO LIVE BY:

As we stumble along on life's funny journey. As we stumble along into the blue. We look here and we look there, seeking answers anywhere. Never sure of where to turn or what to do.

Still we bumble our way through life's crazy labyrinth. Barely knowing left from right nor right from wrong. And the best that we can do is hope a blue bird, will sing his song as we stumble along.

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#6re: Hairspray Tour
Posted: 6/1/06 at 1:41am

"JP was very good for the most part--but sometimes he got lazy and just let his jokes go flat."
I noticed that too.

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

Laluna1015
#7re: Hairspray Tour
Posted: 6/1/06 at 5:15am

I also saw the return engagement at the Pantages Theatre.

I remember when the national first perform at the Pantages in Summer 2004, there was the scene of the Har-dee-har Hut in act 2. That scene is replace with a different backdrop.

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#8re: Hairspray Tour
Posted: 6/1/06 at 4:38pm

Keala is amazing! I had the pleasure of meeting almost all of the members of the touring cast! Keala is just love. And was the Tracy you saw Amy Hillner????? If so, then I am oh so jealous! I loooveeedd her!

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#9re: Hairspray Tour
Posted: 6/1/06 at 5:44pm

"And was the Tracy you saw Amy Hillner?????"

It was probably Christine Danelson, who happens to be one of my best friends and the best Tracy there ever was. re: Hairspray Tour

misto625 Profile Photo
misto625
#10re: Hairspray Tour
Posted: 6/1/06 at 5:54pm

Does anyone know who is the new Penny on tour?

Dean: Can I tell you something? Lorraine: That depends on what it is. Dean: I think you're really really pretty. Lorraine: (after a pause) Ok, you can tell me that.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#11re: Hairspray Tour
Posted: 6/1/06 at 5:57pm

Hayley Podschun is the new Penny. She was promoted from the ensemble.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany
Updated On: 6/1/06 at 05:57 PM

misto625 Profile Photo
misto625
#12re: Hairspray Tour
Posted: 6/1/06 at 6:29pm

Oh ok, very cool. I saw her play Tammy in Boston. It's good to see familiar faces coming back to the tour as well, in the form of Cami Adams and Jennie Ford.

Dean: Can I tell you something? Lorraine: That depends on what it is. Dean: I think you're really really pretty. Lorraine: (after a pause) Ok, you can tell me that.

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#13re: Hairspray Tour
Posted: 6/1/06 at 9:19pm

Just found out that this is headed my way in few months. re: Hairspray Tour I shall go and check it out.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#14re: Hairspray Tour
Posted: 6/1/06 at 9:53pm

I noticed the lack of the harde har hut and was very sad.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#15re: Hairspray Tour
Posted: 6/1/06 at 10:00pm

Did they use the expandable wall in "Mama, I'm a Big Girl Now"?

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

BlueStarGirl
#16re: Hairspray Tour
Posted: 6/2/06 at 12:37am

Good to know. I was thinking about trying to Student Rush it this weekend. Now I'm excited!

Videos