Tarzan: Loud?

BwayMania Profile Photo
BwayMania
#0Tarzan: Loud?
Posted: 6/2/06 at 12:12am

i have heard many people talk about how loud Tarzan is. While I don't have tickets to see the show, I am surprised to hear this and am curious what exactly is soo "loud" about it. Is it the sound effects at high levels? Excessive pyrotchenics etc. It just seems shocking that Disney would make an obvious family show so "scary" for youngsters and possibly adults. However, I guess Tarzan proves that even Disney has it's failures on Broadway.

RentBoy86
#1re: Tarzan: Loud?
Posted: 6/2/06 at 12:14am

I wouldn't call it a failure at all. It's doing great business. I for one am not a fan of the show, but I'm not going to knock it when it's making tons of money.

Tiny-Toon Profile Photo
Tiny-Toon
#2re: Tarzan: Loud?
Posted: 6/2/06 at 12:14am

I sat front row twice and I didn't think it was loud at all..
And I agree, people want it to be a failure, but it's not. Right now it's earning Disney some great $$$.

Updated On: 6/2/06 at 12:14 AM

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#3re: Tarzan: Loud?
Posted: 6/2/06 at 12:19am

I saw it tonight and do not think it is too loud. At times, I thought Josh's singing could have been louder (during Everything That I Am, for example).

magic168
#4re: Tarzan: Loud?
Posted: 6/2/06 at 3:21am

Liotte,

You've seen the show a lot of times, so I wanted to ask you something that's been bugging me ever since I've seen some interviews with Josh. His normal speaking voice is a little...effeminate. Does he lower his voice or something like that?

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#5re: Tarzan: Loud?
Posted: 6/2/06 at 7:26am

Yes, his voice in the show is a little lower and more rough than in person.

iheartamc10
#6re: Tarzan: Loud?
Posted: 6/2/06 at 7:32am

I think Josh is adorable. He's probably one of the nicest actors that comes out. You can tell he is genuine- he signs every playbill and takes pics with everyone.

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#7re: Tarzan: Loud?
Posted: 6/2/06 at 7:36am

I agree, I love Josh! I think he is very talented, he has a beautiful singing voice and watching him on stage is wonderful. He's definitely a nice guy and even in the rain last night, stopped to sign and take pics with everyone. That goes for everyone in the cast, they all were out there with umbrellas and signing for all the fans.

JustABroadwaybaby2
#8re: Tarzan: Loud?
Posted: 6/2/06 at 10:02am

Tarzan was really loud. The sets were grassy, very aesthetically weird. The lights were my problem. When Tarzan was fighting someone, the lights were going to give me a seizure! There should be an epileptic warning. But, anyway, if you see Tarzan, look for family fun (Merle Dandridge is really good too) huge set pieces and animals that will jump around, screeching and whatnot. I saw it as "cute," not really "quality" theater, but fun. Strangers Like Me is a very powerful song. When the movie first came out, I was in love with it. What can I say, I'm a sucker for Disney. And Josh's voice is very...different, sort of high, but sweet with all of the music. it can be a little overbearing, but you will like it somewhat when you see it!

"I'm thinking about how if you took the W in answer, and the H in ghost, and the extra A in aardvark, and the T in listen, you could keep saying WHAT but no one would ever hear you because the whole word would be silent." Please support BC/EFA at goodsearch.com! Search for anything, and your charity will get a cent!

BwayMania Profile Photo
BwayMania
#9re: Tarzan: Loud?
Posted: 6/3/06 at 10:03pm

Sorry to all of the Tarzan fans if I made it seem like I was trashing the show. Maybe the term "failure" wasn't the best. I simply meant not as well received or spoken of as Disney's other Broadway ventures.

Mattbrain
#10re: Tarzan: Loud?
Posted: 6/4/06 at 9:40am

I've been watching the video preview on this site since yesterday. I'm not gonna lie. It looks awesome but not as good as Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King. I hate to sound like the New York Times critic, but with its minimalist set and what look like awesome but maybe just a little excessive acrobatics, it sort of looks more at home in Disney World. But hey, that's my cynical side talking. My positive side is saying that it's a show worth seeing. But that's just my opinion.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

bwayondabrain
#11re: Tarzan: Loud?
Posted: 6/4/06 at 10:02am

i hate to get off topic, but i also really want to see this in august with my grandmother, aunt, sister, and little cousin who is 3. i was just wondering if hes allowed in the theatre, because i know for most shows you have to be 4 or older.
thanks

popular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
#12re: Tarzan: Loud?
Posted: 6/4/06 at 11:02am

To me, Tarzan was incredibly loud. I was front row (student rush), and I ended up with a headache afterwards. It may have been because I was right near a speaker, but I hated the noise. The gunshots were blasting.

NJgirl
#13re: Tarzan: Loud?
Posted: 6/4/06 at 11:23am

popular_elphie got it right about the gunshots...I jumped every single time and they were LOUD. I was in the front row and the show in general at times was on the louder side. Then again, sometimes I dont think the mics were loud enough, esp on Josh Strickland. It was the orchestra and special effects sounds that seemed loud to me.

In general though, the show was visually stunning where the book and score were definitely average. If youre paying 20 bucks for student rush, like I did...I got my moneys worth from the visuals alone.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#14re: Tarzan: Loud?
Posted: 6/4/06 at 12:09pm

I sat in the front mezz, and the show was incredibly loud. The drums are the loudest thing, but when people start singing (off stage) out of no where, it's so loud that the words sound garbled and it sounds like the performers are straining.

Yes, the show is obviously very loud - and several professional reviews also pointed this out.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#15re: Tarzan: Loud?
Posted: 6/4/06 at 3:04pm

Are there a lot of gunshots?

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

popular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
#16re: Tarzan: Loud?
Posted: 6/4/06 at 6:43pm

I think there are about four or five gunshots, and they're very loud. Much louder than the gunshots in Jersey Boys.

ILoveWicked330
#17re: Tarzan: Loud?
Posted: 6/4/06 at 8:00pm

I just got home from seeing the show. The first lightning bolt/thunder starting the show was LOUD. There was one gun shot in the 1st act but it's not even noticeable. The 2nd act, there were about 6-7 gunshots. I HATE loud noises as in fireworks, balloon pops, and in this case, gun shots. They were loud but holding my ears made it lower.

The show was fun! I don't know if I'd see it again but I enjoyed it.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#18re: Tarzan: Loud?
Posted: 6/4/06 at 9:24pm

ASide from the gunshots and the thunder in the beginning, I don't think it was loud at all.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#19re: Tarzan: Loud?
Posted: 6/4/06 at 10:54pm

In the first act, there is 1 gunshot. In the second, there are 5.

Zeitoujo
#20re: Tarzan: Loud?
Posted: 6/5/06 at 9:44am

well Movin' out was VERY LOUD and was at the same theater so I can imagine that it owuld be loud

When I saw movin out' they told us it was okay to keep our cell phones on because even if it rang noone would be able to hear it!!!

"Those You've Known And Lost Still Walk Behind You"-Spring Awakening

Videos