pixeltracker

Cherry Jones is a DIVINE human being

Cherry Jones is a DIVINE human being

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#0Cherry Jones is a DIVINE human being
Posted: 6/4/06 at 2:11pm

I know most of you are aware of this but please tolerate my comments. I am from Buffalo, NY and get to NYC every few months to see some shows. I did the stage door after Faith Healer, and while it was great to have Ralph buzz by me and sign my Playbill, I have to say I was blown away by Cherry Jones spirit and love. She came out of the stage door like she was walking into a party. She VISITED with every fan, made conversation, took photos, even taking time to look at the photos to see if the fan liked how it turned out. She did 5 retakes with one young woman. This actress is a phenomenal spirit. She enjoyed every minute of it and was discussing the complexities of the piece with me, an average Joe on the street. I only knew of Cherry through what I had read prior to this. This was my first time seeing her live. She is divine on every level. As an actress and a human being. Clearly, she loves what she does and appreciates theatre goers. I actually felt bad that people like Ralph and Julia are robbed of having experiences like Cherry had, actually being able to share her work with people. It must be nice to have the level of celebrity of a stage actor, where you can interact with your respectful fans and not worry about having a limb torn off. Much blessings to Cherry, a lovely woman.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#1re: Cherry Jones is a DIVINE human being
Posted: 6/4/06 at 2:11pm

tell me something i DON'T know. I love Cherry!!!

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

ShuQ Profile Photo
ShuQ
#2re: Cherry Jones is a DIVINE human being
Posted: 6/4/06 at 2:13pm

I met her at a performance of "Grey Gardens" and she was such a great woman. Definitely deserves every bit of her success.

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#3re: Cherry Jones is a DIVINE human being
Posted: 6/4/06 at 2:16pm

It's people like these that deserve to doing what they do.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#4re: Cherry Jones is a DIVINE human being
Posted: 6/4/06 at 2:21pm

She sounds amazing, i heard she is one of the best actresses EVER. Can anyone tell me how different was Eileen Atkins' take on the role in Doubt, and how different was she from Cherry?

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

C is for Company
#5re: Cherry Jones is a DIVINE human being
Posted: 6/4/06 at 2:29pm

I only saw Cherry in Doubt and wow that woman was a powerful force to be reckoned with onstage. However, it seems her role in Faith Healer is very touching and she does a great job with it from what people have been saying on here. I am not surprised

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#6re: Cherry Jones is a DIVINE human being
Posted: 6/4/06 at 2:37pm

Oh she had me crying in Faith Healer. In my humble opinion her's was the most riveting monologue. I noticed that many people in the theatre leaned forward during her piece, nestling their faces in their hands, mesmerized by her. I was among one of those people.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

.LittleWing. 0224 Profile Photo
.LittleWing. 0224
#7re: Cherry Jones is a DIVINE human being
Posted: 6/4/06 at 2:40pm

I thought her monologue in Faith Healer was outstanding. She held my interest the entire time. She's absolutely capitvating on stage. And in Doubt, I agree... quite a force on stage. And i spoke with her afterwards and she was so incredibly sweet.

iluvtheatertrash
#8re: Cherry Jones is a DIVINE human being
Posted: 6/4/06 at 3:10pm

muscle, Eileen has a more quiet rage to her performance than Cherry did. Eileen also keeps her strong accent where as Jones allowed for a nice New York accent to take over her character.

While the two performances completely differed, they are both astonishing ones to have been able to seen.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

Thesbijean
#9re: Cherry Jones is a DIVINE human being
Posted: 6/4/06 at 3:10pm

She is quite an individual, completely agree with everything you all have said.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#10re: Cherry Jones is a DIVINE human being
Posted: 6/4/06 at 3:12pm

Actually--that's not Ms. Atkins' accent. She's not Irish. re: Cherry Jones is a DIVINE human being

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#11re: Cherry Jones is a DIVINE human being
Posted: 6/4/06 at 3:17pm

Such a sweetheart!! My daughter and I are huge fans!

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien

PJ
#12re: Cherry Jones is a DIVINE human being
Posted: 6/4/06 at 3:34pm

Cherry is one of the nicest actors I've ever encountered.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#13re: Cherry Jones is a DIVINE human being
Posted: 6/4/06 at 3:37pm

I absolutely adore this woman.

I have never met her (though I have seen her out and about at random places), but I admire from afar.

I was blown away by her performance in DOUBT - and I'm sad to say that that's the first time I ever say her perform (well, except for her role in ERIN BROKOVICH.) Ever since that moment, I have adored her. What a lucky girl Sarah Paulson is.

I also thought Cherry Jones was a revelation in FAITH HEALER. Wow. I wanted to give her a standing ovation after her monologue.

Whenever I remember that she is not among this year's Tony nominees, I get a little sick to my stomach. Robbed, robbed, robbed.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#14re: Cherry Jones is a DIVINE human being
Posted: 6/4/06 at 3:42pm

She is *the best actress* I have ever seen on the stage. I was fortunate enough to see her in DOUBT and FAITH HEALER. Simply incredible.

iluvtheatertrash
#15re: Cherry Jones is a DIVINE human being
Posted: 6/4/06 at 3:45pm

jrb, you know I didn't think it was! I recalled reading somewhere that Ms. Atkins chose to use her original accent. And I just thought - wait. What?

I wish I remembered where I saw it...

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#16re: Cherry Jones is a DIVINE human being
Posted: 6/4/06 at 3:49pm

I forget where, but I saw it, too. :)

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#17re: Cherry Jones is a DIVINE human being
Posted: 6/4/06 at 3:50pm

Munk,

I cannot agree more and join in the chorus of ROBBED! ROBBED! ROBBED! All of the actors in FH were great, but I think Cherry was easily the most riveting part of the evening. Such intensity, rage, heartbreak, grief and loss. I'm getting choked up now.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#18re: Cherry Jones is a DIVINE human being
Posted: 6/4/06 at 4:04pm

Cherry should have been nominated for best supporting actress in a play and won. So sad that her name won't even be read next weekend.

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#19re: Cherry Jones is a DIVINE human being
Posted: 6/4/06 at 4:37pm

Theatertrash, I also read an article(I believe playbill) in which Atkins stated that she felt there was no reason to alter her natural accent as Sister Alyosis(?). She siad that it didn't make a difference to her character with or without the accent.

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#20re: Cherry Jones is a DIVINE human being
Posted: 6/4/06 at 4:59pm

But Ms. Atkins' meant that in regards to adopting an American/NY/The Bronx accent. She is British. She performs with an Irish accent.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#21re: Cherry Jones is a DIVINE human being
Posted: 6/4/06 at 6:48pm

I come thisclose to meeting Ms. Jones three times now but to no avail. Nice to hear she is such a fabulous woman, considering she's one of my favorite actresses.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

jsrocks
#22re: Cherry Jones is a DIVINE human being
Posted: 6/4/06 at 7:14pm

That's so awesome you had a great time meeting Cherry!! re: Cherry Jones is a DIVINE human being She certainly is an amazing actress!

"Michael's got a head like a Ping Pong Ball" -The Cast of Sweeney-

bwayondabrain
#23re: Cherry Jones is a DIVINE human being
Posted: 6/4/06 at 8:07pm

i'd love to see her in something, or at least meet her sometime!
does FAITH HEALER end anytime soon, or is it an open run? itd be awesome to see her in it!

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#24re: Cherry Jones is a DIVINE human being
Posted: 6/4/06 at 9:16pm

she's my reason for living lol. I admire this fine lady so much. I look up to her and her talents. I've seen her in quite a few things now and each show she manages to make you cry.

Videos