pixeltracker

Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN- Page 2

Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#25re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 12:14pm

Now that I think about it, I think I remember him singing "Ben" over the end credits of that brilliant, underrated remake of Willard a few years back. He's amazing in that movie.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#26re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 12:14pm

Tracy Ullman can't act. Sorry. Streep would be too old against Depp.

PEACE.

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#27re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 12:17pm

Of Michael Bennett's list of Burton types, I'd put Helena Bonham Carter as the Beggar Woman, Emily Watson as Johanna and Tracey Ullman as Mrs. Lovett. Although Johanna would really need to be younger...

Part of me wants to say Johnny Depp's too young for Sweeney, but then the rest of me remembers he's full-on over 40. XD

Mandi Moo Profile Photo
Mandi Moo
#28re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 12:19pm

I love the idea of a child playing Toby. As long as he can sing and isn't annoying...
Updated On: 6/13/06 at 12:19 PM

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#29re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 12:24pm

Since Helena Bonham Carter is Burtons' wife and has been in all of his films since they married, she will most certainly be apart of it, probably as Beggar Woman.

I could deffinetly see Emily Watson as Johanna. That's PERFECT. However, isn't she a little old to play Depp's daughter? How about Emmy Rossum for Johanna?

For Lovett... I dont' like Tracey Ullman. It just doesn't feel like a right fit to me.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 6/13/06 at 12:24 PM

freeadmission Profile Photo
freeadmission
#30re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 12:29pm

Emmy Rossum just doesn't have the vibrancy in her upper range (at least in Phantom) to sing songs like "Green Finch And Linnet Bird". I hope they don't cast her.

jimmycurry01
#31re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 12:30pm

I know Depp is a triple threat, he supposedly can sing and dance, altough he was dubbed in Cry Baby, but that could be because it wasn't his style or perhaps to high. I think acting wise he will have no problem pulling it off, he is prety versatile, so I look forward to it.
I do think Meryl Streep would be an interesting choice, she is indeed older than Depp, but that could add something for the characters, this slightly older woman trying with all her might to get the slightly youger guy who has gone off his rocker. I do think that Kate Winslet would also be a fun choice for this role, and she does have a very nice voice, look for her singing the song "What If".
If I remeber right, Carter isn't much of a singer, I think i heard her "sing" in another movie, but not being a good singer could have been part of the character.
For Toby I would shoot some where between 10 and 17 years old.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#32re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 12:37pm

Carter isn't married to Burton --

treyisthekiller Profile Photo
treyisthekiller
#33re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 12:49pm

i can see Helena Bonham Carter in the movie.

personally, i think burton should get manoel felciano for tobias. He completely embodied the pasrt, and already has that creepy-edge that burton is all about. not to mention the kid can sing like an angel.

'Acting provides the fulfillment of never being fulfilled. You're never as good as you'd like to be. So there's always something to hope for.' -- Washington Irving

jimmycurry01
#34re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 12:51pm

That's true they aren't married, but have children together and live together, and frequently work together. I have to say If I were directing, I'd be afraid to cast my significant other, but more power to him.
Updated On: 6/13/06 at 12:51 PM

keggss23 Profile Photo
keggss23
#35re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 12:53pm

Crispin Glover is an excellent idea for any role in this movie. I would like to see Bonham-Carter as Beggar Woman and Cyndi Lauper as Lovett.

"When you're a Jet, / You're a Jet all the way, / From your first pirouette / To your last grand jete." --Brian Kaman

Mandi Moo Profile Photo
Mandi Moo
#36re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 12:54pm

I just think that it could potentially confuse the hell out of people who aren't familiar with the show to see someone in their 30's playing Toby.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#37re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 12:57pm

Yeah... they'd be smart to cast him young.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Carl Magnum Profile Photo
Carl Magnum
#38re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 1:04pm

Cyndi Lauper as Lovett
Kelsey Grammer as Turpin
Please find some role for Alan Cumming in this film, I need to see the Burton/Depp/Cumming colab. Even if he plays Fogg. But Fogg will probably go to Christopher Lee.
NPH could still play Tobias.
Ewan would be an excellent Anthony

Helena Bonaham will be in it if she and Burton are still together when it's filmed, she could easily pull off the beggar woman.

I got rid of my teeth at a young age because... I'm straight. Teeth are for gay people. That's why fairies come and get them

GClef2 Profile Photo
GClef2
#39re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 1:10pm

Audra McDonald would be a fantastic Begger Woman.

I would love to see Kelli O'Hara as Joanna, but she has not done much film work.

Would love to see Victoria Clark as Mrs. Lovett.

"The only way we live beyond our lives is to connect and carve ourselves into the souls of those we love." -Little Fish

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#40re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 1:17pm

"Cyndi Lauper as Lovett"
never thought about it, but that could be great.

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#41re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 1:18pm

Oh, lord, there go the "Cast Mano" cries.
Seriously, just don't expect more than one or two bona-fide Broadway folks as anything other than ringers in select roles.
Frankly, if Tobias is a child in this, Freddie Highmore will be wonderful.
I think Depp will be fine, although he'll certainly be a turn towards a sexy Sweeney. If I'm not mistaken, he has to be around the same age as Cerveris, too, so he's not too young for the part and certainly, in that day and age, old enough to have an 18 year old daughter.

It is a lot of conjecture, but Cyndi Lauper probably would be a great Lovett. However, given Burton's past track record, I'm going to go with Ullman.

Mandi Moo Profile Photo
Mandi Moo
#42re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 1:24pm

Hey now, I would gladly listen to Mano or NPH sing the phone book, and they were both excellent Tobys, but they need someone young for this movie. I think Freddie would be great, as long as he can sing.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#43re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 1:26pm

Vilanch HAS to have a role. Funniest human ever!

PEACE.

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#44re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 1:28pm

Corine possessed Sueleen again.

Mandi Moo Profile Photo
Mandi Moo
#45re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 1:28pm

Vilanch as Lovett?

jimmycurry01
#46re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 1:34pm

Since race matters more on screen than it does on stage I don't think Audra would make a very good begger woman, eventhough she did it wonderfuly in the NY concert. I think film audiences would be rather confused a bout a white man being married to a black woman with a blonde daughter in the 1800s.
On stage, I'm all for it, on screen, not so much.

BSoBW2
#47re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 1:38pm

Carl - I was just about to post Cyndi as Lovett, of course!

She was seriously considered for the revival and has a very dark stage presence I think would fit in perfeclty with Burton and Depp.

And while her voice is wicked powerful, she also has the control to sound breathless and distraught. She would make a perfect Lovett, IMO.

I think Tobias as a child would work extremely well. A child singing NOT WHILE I'M AROUND seems like the impact would be greater than an adult...

Marguerite Chauvelin
#48re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 1:39pm

If he can sing, Freddy Highmore would make a pretty good Toby, and he's one of Burton's friends. I still want Mano though...

If Percy Blakeney were in Les Mis....

Percy: Sink me! If it isn't Javvurt!
Javert: Zsah-vair, it's pronounced Zsah-vair.
Pecry: But it's spelled J-A-V-E-R-T Javvurt.
Javert: Repeat after me Zsah...Zsah....
Percy: Oh! Zsa-Zsa! Like the Gabor sister! Well I personally have always prefered Eva.
Javert: (Looks for gun)

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#49re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 1:54pm

"Sondheim is VERY controlling over his revivals and movies."

Only two of Sondheim's musical scores have been given a film treatment. Forum cut nearly half the score. Night Music was quite simply, a disaster.

Do you honestly think he had much control over that?

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian