pixeltracker

Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN- Page 3

Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN

Katecab99 Profile Photo
Katecab99
#50re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 1:54pm

For some reason the thought of this movie unsettles me.

MagicToDo82 Profile Photo
MagicToDo82
#51re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 1:56pm

ADRIEN BRODY FOR PIRELLI, PLEASE!

There's always room for pathos - and jazz hands.

Carl Magnum Profile Photo
Carl Magnum
#52re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 2:06pm

I can see this honestly, but can he sing?

Alan Cumming as Pirelli?

I'd love to see Tim Curry in this somewhere too.

I got rid of my teeth at a young age because... I'm straight. Teeth are for gay people. That's why fairies come and get them

HouGuy77002
#53re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 2:46pm

What about Mandy Moore as Johanna? Her songs would need to be modified and lowered a bit, but could be interesting.

MenzelManiac Profile Photo
MenzelManiac
#54re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 2:48pm

Let's get LaChanze to play Mrs. Lovett!

::puts finger in throat::

dancnqn5 Profile Photo
dancnqn5
#55re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 2:58pm

I don't hate Mandy Moore, but she's completely wrong for Johanna. How about getting someone that can actually sing the notes as written? (And whoever said Johanna is 18, she's actually 16, but I'm just being picky.)

And with all this speculation over which actors can sing and which can't, I remember reading an article around the time Charlie and the Chocolate factory was coming out and Depp said something to the effect of audiences should be glad this wasn't a musical version, because he can't sing. So if our Sweeney can't sing, why should anyone else have to?

But I always thought of Toby as a young boy (maybe not as young as Highmore, but not an adult), so I don't mind that idea.

joshy Profile Photo
joshy
#56re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 3:08pm

I really hope they cast a Lauren Molina-type Johanna, except a bit younger, instead of someone like that screeching loon on the Lansbury DVD!

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#57re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 3:13pm

"Streep would be too old against Depp."

Aren't we talking about a smaller age difference than the age difference between Cerveris and LuPone, though?

dancnqn5 Profile Photo
dancnqn5
#58re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN

I second tht opinion. Lauren is vocally my favorite Johanna to date (I haven't seen the show, so I can't judge anything else). The only thing Betsy Joslyn is good for is a laugh (and not in a good way.

Just wondering... I didn't get a chance to see any of the performances from "Children and Art." I know that Anne Hathaway sang Kiss Me. Was she any good? I don't necessarily think she's right for the part, but I've been wondering for a bit now if she has the chops to pull that song off (It's damn hard!)

Mandi Moo Profile Photo
Mandi Moo
#59re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN

Lauren Molina is the only Johanna that I can actually stomach.

ozone20 Profile Photo
ozone20
#60re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 3:16pm

I say Kathy Bates. mrs lovett. does she sing? hehe.

jensen11us2 Profile Photo
jensen11us2
#61re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 3:24pm

I don't think Meryl Streep has a chance in hell. I love her to death but she did all of her own singing in Prarie Home Campainon and it was nothing short of a miracle that someone didn't turn off her mic. She could act the **** out of this role but honestly I just don't see it happening. What about Victor Garber in here somewhere it would be neat to bring him back.

Peace!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#62re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 3:25pm

Aen't we talking about a smaller age difference than the age difference between Cerveris and LuPone, though?

-- Nope, it's slightly bigger. Cerveris is 45, and LuPone is 57. Depp 43, and Streep is 57.

jensen11us2
#63re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 3:29pm

I GOT IT! Liza Minelli as Mrs Lovette, lol!

What about Patrick Wilson as Anthony? Well just an idea.

Peace!
Updated On: 6/13/06 at 03:29 PM

#64re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 3:31pm

I thought Meryl did a great job vocally in Prairie Home Companion. She definitely would be a good choice IMO.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#65re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 3:32pm

I think they definitely will need to add more dialogue for the film.

colleen_lee
#66re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 3:35pm

"-- Nope, it's slightly bigger. Cerveris is 45, and LuPone is 57. Depp 43, and Streep is 57."

And age plays much different on screen. I never found the different between LuPone and Cerveris to be problematic, but if we were 6 inches from her face and it was 20 foot tall then I could see it being potentially awkward.

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

jensen11us2
#67re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 3:36pm

Yes Meryl does have a nice job but she sounded like an old lady at church singing in the choir. IMO she just does not have what it takes to be a stand out Mrs Lovette.

Why don't they just give it to Catherine Zeta Jones, she seems to be up to the challenge, lol!

Peace!

mejusthavingfun Profile Photo
mejusthavingfun
#68re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 3:41pm

wasn't Kathy Bates in the crappy Annie remake? Can't wait to hear Danny Elfman rework this score.

HouGuy77002
#69re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 3:54pm

I kind of like the idea of CZJ as Lovett with Toni Collete as Lucy. OT...I would love to see Toni C. as Sally B. in a remake of Cabaret!!

jensen11us2
#70re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 4:04pm

What about Helena Bonham Carter as Mrs Lovette or I could also see her as begger woman!

Peace!

buffyactsing Profile Photo
buffyactsing
#71Meryl Streep
Posted: 6/13/06 at 4:06pm

A. Mrs. Lovett needn't be a powerhouse singer. It's not a particularily range-y role. Hard to learn, but not hard to sing. It's a character voice, and I personally prefer it less "sung".

B. I haven't seen A Prarie Home Companion but it's possible she was doing a character voice (I have no idea). I've heard her sing before and while her voice isn't "amazing" it's MORE than lovely enough to pull off Lovett.

"This ocean runs more dark and deep than you may think you know...I'll be the fear of the fire at sea." -Marie Christine

jensen11us2
#72Meryl Streep
Posted: 6/13/06 at 4:09pm

Meryl has no vocal training. Sondheim is by no means easy to sing. I am sure she could learn it and do a pretty good job with it, but IMO I would like it to go to someone who is a little more qualified for the role.

Peace!

30/90 Playout
#73re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 4:09pm

Mrs. Nellie Lovett - Patti LuPone (everyone and their mother knows her)
Anthony Hope -
Adolfo Pirelli - An unknown. Donna Lynne Champlin would be nice.
Beggar Woman -
Beadle Bamford -
Judge Turpin - Sir Ian McKellen
Jonas Fogg - Cameo by some washed up star.
Tobias - Neil Patrick Harris (now with his CBS show and Houser his it a hit, as well as fantastic in the role)
Johanna - Lauren Molina Best Johanna around)

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#74re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 4:13pm

Sorry, 30/90 all your casting would not happen.

They need a boy for Tobias, not a man. It works on stage with a man, but not in the movies, it needs to be more realistic.

Pirelli can't be playedd by a woman in a movie, that would be highly confusing. You can get away with that on stage, but not in the movie.

Also, Patti LuPone would just..never be casted. Though we all love her dearly. Same for Molina.