The Audience at Sweeney Tonight

aspiringactress Profile Photo
aspiringactress
#0The Audience at Sweeney Tonight
Posted: 6/13/06 at 11:17pm

I am so happy that I got to be a part of tonight's audience at Sweeney. I know at least one other poster was there, and maybe she will share her feelings as well.

It is hard to describe what happened at the Eugene O'Neill tonight. It was clear that a great part of the audience were people who had seen the show before, and were in essence there saying "We still love you as much as we ever did". That spirit showed in the way the audience responded. Practically everything was clapped for and cheered for. Every single number was followed by huge amounts of applause. People laughed, people cried. It was extremely emotional. This went on for the entire show. By intermission, everyone was talking about the show with eachother, and in some cases discussing the Tony's. At the end of the show, the entire audience stood within seconds, and the ovation lasted for minutes. It was a very beautiful thing to be a part of.

Afterwards at the Stage Door (which was PACKED), some of the cast members seemed to genuinely be in shock at the energy the audience had had. They 'got' that for many of us, tonight's show was about supporting the cast who's work we have come to love and appreciate so greatly.

On to the actual show: it was the most passion I have ever seen from that cast. They fed so much off of what was happening in the audience, and their energy was evidence of this. I hope that many many BWW'ers were able to share in tonight's INCREDIBLE preformance.

"We don't value the lily less for not being made of flint and built to last. Life's bounty is in it's flow, later is too late. Where is the song when it's been sung, the dance when it's been danced? It's only we humans who want to own the future too." - Tom Stoppard, Shipwreck

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#1re: The Audience at Sweeney Tonight
Posted: 6/13/06 at 11:21pm

I'm glad to hear it, I wish I could have been there. I hope none of the cast got discouraged after the Tonys. I was mad as hell, I can only imagine how they fely, however much they said it didn't matter in interviews beforehand.

"Afterwards at the Stage Door (which was PACKED), some of the cast members seemed to genuinely be in shock at the energy the audience had had. They 'got' that for many of us, tonight's show was about supporting the cast who's work we have come to love and appreciate so greatly."

That made me smile

BroadwayChica Profile Photo
BroadwayChica
#2re: The Audience at Sweeney Tonight
Posted: 6/13/06 at 11:21pm

I wish I could've been there tonight. Sounds like it was a wonderful, wonderful experience. Thanks for sharing this!

ahimsa Profile Photo
ahimsa
#3re: The Audience at Sweeney Tonight
Posted: 6/13/06 at 11:22pm

What a beautiful story. The memory will last you a lifetime.

I'm glad to know the cast got to feel the love and then show you their gratitude through their performance.

Scarywarhol
#4re: The Audience at Sweeney Tonight
Posted: 6/13/06 at 11:25pm

I have got to go see this again.

ThreePennyJennyxo Profile Photo
ThreePennyJennyxo
#5re: The Audience at Sweeney Tonight
Posted: 6/13/06 at 11:26pm

Im soo happy to hear they had a great show! I really want to see the show again! The cast is amazing

ThreePenny Opera will always be in the hearts of many fans <3

aspiringactress
#6re: The Audience at Sweeney Tonight
Posted: 6/13/06 at 11:27pm

You should. It gets better with every viewing.

"We don't value the lily less for not being made of flint and built to last. Life's bounty is in it's flow, later is too late. Where is the song when it's been sung, the dance when it's been danced? It's only we humans who want to own the future too." - Tom Stoppard, Shipwreck

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#7re: The Audience at Sweeney Tonight
Posted: 6/13/06 at 11:27pm

Aw. That's great to hear. I hope it continues to sell well.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#8re: The Audience at Sweeney Tonight
Posted: 6/13/06 at 11:28pm

I was also in tonight's attendance. I was with a group of 35 people - the American Theatre Wing's SpringboardNYC students. After the show, we got to do a Q&A with all the actors which was amazing. (BTW - to those who had to wait forever at the stage door, kudos for staying through the long wait!)

ALSO - there was a great theatrical moment after the show where I THINK it was when "Ladies and Gentlemen, may I have your attention please?" section right after that line - a women arrived to the theatre late and was in the very front row. Of course her seat is in the very center, so she enters from the house left aisle and SLOWLY makes her way over everyone's lap. Well, the actor playing Tobey stopped and just starred at her until she was seated. It was brilliant and got applause. Michael Cerveris broke character slightly and laughed.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

aspiringactress
#9re: The Audience at Sweeney Tonight
Posted: 6/13/06 at 11:29pm

That was such a funny moment. And Capn, I thought I saw you, but I didn't want to sound weird and stalkerish and be like, "BWW, much?" I was the girl with glasses in a Cal sweatshirt with my little brother in tow.

Scarywarhol
#10re: The Audience at Sweeney Tonight
Posted: 6/13/06 at 11:30pm

Man, I wish I had been there.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#11re: The Audience at Sweeney Tonight
Posted: 6/13/06 at 11:31pm

Was he carrying a Broadway New York bag with a poster in it?

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Fantabulous428 Profile Photo
Fantabulous428
#12re: The Audience at Sweeney Tonight
Posted: 6/13/06 at 11:31pm

Sounds like a great experience. Thanks for sharing!

I recognize the addiction to being alive.

Marguerite Chauvelin
#13re: The Audience at Sweeney Tonight
Posted: 6/13/06 at 11:32pm

I need to see this show again!

If Percy Blakeney were in Les Mis....

Percy: Sink me! If it isn't Javvurt!
Javert: Zsah-vair, it's pronounced Zsah-vair.
Pecry: But it's spelled J-A-V-E-R-T Javvurt.
Javert: Repeat after me Zsah...Zsah....
Percy: Oh! Zsa-Zsa! Like the Gabor sister! Well I personally have always prefered Eva.
Javert: (Looks for gun)

aspiringactress
#14re: The Audience at Sweeney Tonight
Posted: 6/13/06 at 11:33pm

Capn, yeah, and he was wearing a Ramones shirt.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#15re: The Audience at Sweeney Tonight
Posted: 6/13/06 at 11:35pm

Ah, OK, I saw you before the show then outside. Ahoy! Don't be scared to say hi, lol.

I've actually been recognized in the streets three times since I've been in New York.

--Aristotle

BroadwayChica Profile Photo
BroadwayChica
#16re: The Audience at Sweeney Tonight
Posted: 6/13/06 at 11:35pm

ALSO - there was a great theatrical moment after the show where I THINK it was when "Ladies and Gentlemen, may I have your attention please?" section right after that line - a women arrived to the theatre late and was in the very front row. Of course her seat is in the very center, so she enters from the house left aisle and SLOWLY makes her way over everyone's lap. Well, the actor playing Tobey stopped and just starred at her until she was seated. It was brilliant and got applause. Michael Cerveris broke character slightly and laughed.

Wow, that's insane, cause the SAME thing happened to a friend of mine. We went to see the show together, and she had to go to the restroom, and they wouldn't let her back. And the same thing happened. A LOT of teasing and staring from Toby. The audience lost it.

aspiringactress
#17re: The Audience at Sweeney Tonight
Posted: 6/13/06 at 11:36pm

That's funny. Yeah, you were up against the wall, and I kept pacing around in circles.

TheaterAddict7652
#18re: The Audience at Sweeney Tonight
Posted: 6/13/06 at 11:36pm

I wish I could see this show again
And again, and again...

There's a lot I am not certain of...

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#19re: The Audience at Sweeney Tonight
Posted: 6/13/06 at 11:38pm

Yup, I'm sick and didn't want to stand in line and spread germs.

The show was AMAZING. Best show I've seen on Broadway. My jaw dropped and stayed down from the beginning of Toby's final monologue to ten minutes after the curtain call. Stunning.

--Aristotle

aspiringactress
#20re: The Audience at Sweeney Tonight
Posted: 6/13/06 at 11:41pm

Was it your first time?

Gypsy2 Profile Photo
Gypsy2
#21re: The Audience at Sweeney Tonight
Posted: 6/13/06 at 11:41pm

Yeah, Chica, that was... fun. Only Capn, the person you mentioned supposedly took her sweet old time? A few weeks ago, when I got stuck in the back orchestra for the beginning while I had front row center seats, I SPRINTED through a pitch-dark theatre aisle. It was actually so, so funny, getting mean looks from Mano like 'oooh, you're late, biitch!' But not really.

Tonight sounded like such an amazing show, as I knew it would be after such a...strange night at the Tony's. So good of everyone to show support. I love theatre communities and bonds that you form.

You know it and you want it... you just can't believe you've got it.
Updated On: 6/13/06 at 11:41 PM

Scarywarhol
#22re: The Audience at Sweeney Tonight
Posted: 6/13/06 at 11:45pm

That was you? Oh man! Maybe it's the drinks I had earlier tonight, but I love you guys all so much, it's so great to hear about all of this. Reading about it makes me so happy.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#23re: The Audience at Sweeney Tonight
Posted: 6/13/06 at 11:46pm

Yes, my first. The only shows that are still open on Broadway that I've seen are Lion King and Wicked. Though on this NYC trip I've seen History Boys, Awake & Sing, Spelling Bee, Sweeney Todd, Drowsey Chaperone, Tonys rehearsal, and Wedding Singer. Tomorrow I see STUFF HAPPENS and I hope to see Color Purple and Jersey Boys. And I'm soooo curious about Tarzan even though I know it's bad.

--Aristotle

aspiringactress
#24re: The Audience at Sweeney Tonight
Posted: 6/13/06 at 11:46pm

It was honestlt like a rock-concert of sorts (in the BEST possible way). People were jumping and cheering the whole time. LIterally, the Judge's Johanna, which in my experience never got much applause, got this pretty sizeable ovation.