B'way hotels

shavens Profile Photo
shavens
#0B'way hotels
Posted: 6/17/06 at 12:14am

Anyone have an opinion of either the Casablanca Hotel or the Courtyard Marriott? Both near Times Square. Is it foolish to stay near all the noise? We will see plays every night so why not be close?

Will welcome any other hotel recommendations.

Thanks,

Sam
http://www.samhavens.com

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#1re: B'way hotels
Posted: 6/17/06 at 12:27am

Go to the Mariott Marquis-that's the closest.

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#2re: B'way hotels
Posted: 6/17/06 at 9:17am

My fav Times Square hotel is The Muse. They have THE BEST beds in the entire city there. I don't like the Marquis at all- too big for me.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

myManCape Profile Photo
myManCape
#3re: B'way hotels
Posted: 6/17/06 at 9:21am

The Mariott Marquis is beautiful and right in times square. However I wouldnt recomend it, unless you recently won the lotto or just fell like burning some extra cash.

"Have they come yet?"

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#4re: B'way hotels
Posted: 6/17/06 at 9:22am

If you are looking for a good location, but not a perfect hotel, the Edison is great.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#5re: B'way hotels
Posted: 6/17/06 at 9:24am

The Edison, the Marquis, and The Crowne Plaza are all extremely convenient.

pab Profile Photo
pab
#6re: B'way hotels
Posted: 6/17/06 at 9:50am

There are SO many threads on this board that you can find about Broadway Hotels and you will see hundreds of opinions of different hotels where people have stayed and their recommendations.

As for the specific question concerning the Casablanca Hotel, I would have to say that you can't go wrong there if you have no problem with the cost of the rooms. I've stayed there and have all intentions of going back. Great staff, great rooms, breakfast included, afternoon wine and cheese also included etc. If you consider those things you can save money on food and you would only have to pay for your dinner while in New York because you can eat the rest of your day courtesy of the hotel. The hotel is very close to everything, without being noisy.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

shavens Profile Photo
shavens
#7re: B'way hotels
Posted: 6/17/06 at 11:36am

Thanks to all for your generous help.

Sam

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#8re: B'way hotels
Posted: 6/17/06 at 11:39am

I always stay at the Ramada New Yorker on 34th and 8th; have for YEARS and love it. down by Madison Square Garden, the Empire State Building and Macy's.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

bwayboi4life42 Profile Photo
bwayboi4life42
#9re: B'way hotels
Posted: 6/17/06 at 11:40am

We don't stay right on Times Square. We stay at the Double Tree at Lexington and 11th. I liked it because we always walked to Times Square, which was really a lot of fun. You always see interesting things and people when you walk!

"I believe that art does not exist only to entertain, but also to challenge one to think, to provoke, even to disturb, to engage in a constant search for the truth." - Barbra Streisand

shavens Profile Photo
shavens
#10re: B'way hotels
Posted: 6/17/06 at 11:42am

I'll check it out.

Thanks!

whatyouown223 Profile Photo
whatyouown223
#11re: B'way hotels
Posted: 6/17/06 at 12:02pm

I really liked the Muse when I went also.

rKrispyt Profile Photo
rKrispyt
#12re: B'way hotels
Posted: 6/17/06 at 12:49pm

oh please PAB - I don't think it's a crime or a horrible inconvenience that someone posted a thread requesting this info instead of searching and looking at possibly outdated reccommendations.

I don't meant to attack you or anything, it's just a big pet peeve of mine when people post merely to say "why didn't you search this?!" and stuff. Especially when they then reply anyways. I don't get it. ESPECIALLY not when the first page of the message board was FILLED with teh same topics the night of and day following the Tony awards, and I didn't once see anyone complaining about that: when there was stuff like "who are these tony voters?" as a topic, followed by "up yours, tony voters!" and other things saying the tony voters are idiots. THEN someone should've gotten on the ball sooner and bitched about the not-searching issue - when it's right in frotn of your face and y ou dont' even have to search.

rant over. My apologies that that came out at you, but it just bugs me sometimes.

Anyways, I'd also reccommend the Edison. I stayed there during a trip and you really can't beat the convenience and location as it's a few steps away from the TKTS booth. Plus, while not exactly fancy shmancy, it was very nice to return to every night - comfortable, clean, wonderful staff. I'd reccommend it.

If I show you the darkness I hold inside, will you bring me to light?

shavens Profile Photo
shavens
#13re: B'way hotels
Posted: 6/17/06 at 3:31pm

Such great ideas. I truly appreciate the support from all of you.

Theatre is, after all, a collaboration.

Bravo!

Sam
http://www.samhavens.com

Hank
#14re: B'way hotels
Posted: 6/17/06 at 4:07pm

Staying "near all that noise of Times Square" is part of the magic of visiting NY. Walk to everything, and your room will be quiet. I agree, Marriott Marquis is too big, good if you're on convention, but if you're on your own some better choices:

The Edison, just accross the street (rear ent). This is a budget choice, and the rooms are tiny, but has great art deco atmosphere, and the coffee shop is a must.

The Millenium Times Square, in the same price range as The Marquis, maybe a little less, has all the comforts of a fine modern hotel and with not too many rooms to a floor in a high rise with no humongous lobby to navigate, easy to come and go.

#15re: B'way hotels
Posted: 6/17/06 at 5:08pm

Stay at the Quality Inn Times Square
Its affordable
Its right across the street from the Palace Theater
And is like two feet from the heart of Times Square.

BroadwaynSeventh2 Profile Photo
BroadwaynSeventh2
#16re: B'way hotels
Posted: 6/17/06 at 5:29pm

I just went to NYC a few weeks ago we stayed at The Hilton Garden Inn. It was very nice. Its at 48th and 8th. It was nice though because you are right there at all of the theaters but not in times square so its not as crowded when you are walking.

pab Profile Photo
pab
#17re: B'way hotels
Posted: 6/17/06 at 5:29pm

"oh please PAB - I don't think it's a crime or a horrible inconvenience that someone posted a thread requesting this info instead of searching and looking at possibly outdated reccommendations. "

rKrispyt, well, someone really put a bug up your butt. My suggestion to shavens about doing a search was just a way for him to gather more information, since I know for a fact there are a number of threads on this board that deal with this topic. If I was in fact pissed that he posted, trust me, I would not have offered him any advice. Therefore I suggest that you should just chill out, since he did not seem at all offended by my post I see any reason for you to be offended for him.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"
Updated On: 6/17/06 at 05:29 PM

erinrebecca
#18re: B'way hotels
Posted: 6/17/06 at 6:38pm

If money is no object, the nicest Times Square hotel is definitely the Renaissance. Fabulous rooms, the best service in the city, and their restaurant has the most spectacular view of Times Square that you'll find.

shavens Profile Photo
shavens
#19re: B'way hotels
Posted: 6/17/06 at 7:08pm

Encore on the thanks!

WickedOne2 Profile Photo
WickedOne2
#20re: B'way hotels
Posted: 6/17/06 at 8:31pm

I recently stayed at The Time and loved it. The Marriot Marquis is nice, but as of late I haven't been able to find a good deal there. Other favorites of mine are:
1) Rhiga Royal
2) The Paramount (just don't get the smaller room, we stayed in a superior room)
3) The Sofitel
4) The Doubletree Metropolitan (a little walk from Broadway but a great hotel at 51st and Lex),

"I wish the stage were as narrow as the wire of a tightrope dancer, so that no incompetent would dare step upon it." Goethe

bestnurse Profile Photo
bestnurse
#21re: B'way hotels
Posted: 6/18/06 at 12:06am

You have too much time on your hands. Do you get this enraged about things that really matter in life?

Videos