pixeltracker

Bubbly Black Girl Recording Session

Bubbly Black Girl Recording Session

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#0Bubbly Black Girl Recording Session
Posted: 6/22/06 at 10:14pm

http://www.broadway.com/Gen/Buzz_Photo_op.aspx?ci=532007

nice photos over at broadway.com!! Very excited for this CD!!

MargoChanning
#1re: Bubbly Black Girl Recording Session
Posted: 6/22/06 at 10:19pm

Great news! I really enjoyed the show at Playwrights and thought that with just a bit of fine tuning of the book, it could have had a very successful commercial run. It deserved a better fate and were it not for Brantley's Times review it might have had a chance. So glad the tuneful score will be preserved.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Effie
#2re: Bubbly Black Girl Recording Session
Posted: 6/22/06 at 11:50pm

I enjoyed this show immensely, as well. The score was much more engaging and hummable than most of the stuff that's hit New York in the intervening five or six years.

What's Kirsten Childs been up to since it closed? I hope she's still writing.

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#3re: Bubbly Black Girl Recording Session
Posted: 6/22/06 at 11:55pm

Didn't she write that show about dolphins? Miracle Brothers... Dream Brothers... whatever it was called.

kmc

Jesus saves. I spend.

broadwaybelter
#4re: Bubbly Black Girl Recording Session
Posted: 6/22/06 at 11:56pm

anyone hear of a release date yet?

RentBoy86
#5re: Bubbly Black Girl Recording Session
Posted: 6/23/06 at 12:35am

I didn't even know this was happening. It was a play first correct? Or was it always a musical? I love LaChanze, can't wait for this.

broadwaybelter
#6re: Bubbly Black Girl Recording Session
Posted: 6/23/06 at 12:36am

I believe it was always a musical. There's a great article that talks about it, lemme find it for ya
http://www.davidgallo.com/DGA_WEB_PAGES/press/dga_bbgnyt.htm

here's a review which gives a little background Updated On: 6/23/06 at 12:36 AM

RentBoy86
#7re: Bubbly Black Girl Recording Session
Posted: 6/23/06 at 12:39am

Oh okay, thanks. I'll give it a quick read. I remember at SETC (South Eastern Theater Conference) a couple years ago, a high school in Florida entered it and I always rememberd the name of the play because it was such an interesting name. I didn't realize it was a musical though because I thought people only entered plays.

JackiesBroJoe Profile Photo
JackiesBroJoe
#8re: Bubbly Black Girl Recording Session
Posted: 6/23/06 at 12:46am

I re-read Brantley's review today, it's positive. Margo?

RentBoy86
#9re: Bubbly Black Girl Recording Session
Posted: 6/23/06 at 12:52am

Yeah, it really was positive. Hm.
Brantley's Review

jaesdare Profile Photo
jaesdare
#10re: Bubbly Black Girl Recording Session
Posted: 6/23/06 at 1:32am

finally, i get to hear the music

TxTwoStep Profile Photo
TxTwoStep
#11re: Bubbly Black Girl Recording Session
Posted: 6/23/06 at 11:03am

always loved this score and this composer. This would make a great follow-up for LaChanze if they ever let her leave COLOR PURPLE.

And yes, the same composer did write the misguided MIRACLE BROTHERS, which was about dolphins who shapeshift into humans to tell a thwarted love and family discord parable. i love Tina Landau usually too, but even her staging couldn't save that....

Will: They don't give out awards for helping people be gay... unless you count the Tonys. "I guarantee that we'll have tough times. I guarantee that at some point one or both of us will want to get out. But I also guarantee that if I don't ask you to be mine, I'll regret it for the rest of my life..."

broadwaybelter
#12re: Bubbly Black Girl Recording Session
Posted: 7/3/06 at 2:26am

release date anyone?

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#13re: Bubbly Black Girl Recording Session
Posted: 7/3/06 at 10:58am

i'm curious to hear this show as well. Boston is doing it next season for the Speak Easy and i wanna know if i need to go see it or not...

sh-k-Zan Profile Photo
sh-k-Zan
#14re: Bubbly Black Girl Recording Session
Posted: 7/3/06 at 11:36am

We haven't set a release date but once we do I'll let you know...

and folkyboy i think its worth seeing..the music is fab

xoxo

Without ME its just AWESO!

broadwaybelter
#15re: Bubbly Black Girl Recording Session
Posted: 7/3/06 at 12:02pm

yay! thank you!

hortonhearsasam
#16re: Bubbly Black Girl Recording Session
Posted: 7/22/06 at 1:30am

Any news yet on a release date?

Chip1012 Profile Photo
Chip1012
#17re: Bubbly Black Girl Recording Session
Posted: 11/12/06 at 11:45pm

any info on a release date yet? thanks

RustyRocketteBoy Profile Photo
RustyRocketteBoy
#18re: Bubbly Black Girl Recording Session
Posted: 11/13/06 at 1:08am

im in the boston prodution. we recently got copys of the new recording......belive me when i say, LaChanze sounds AMAZING!

if u wanted more info about the new england premire or tickets go to: www.speakeasystage.com

Stop worrying if your vision is new. Let others make that decision- They usually do. You keep moving on. Anything you do, Let it come from you. Then it will be new. Give us more to see... ~Sunday In the Park with George

broadwaybelter
#19re: Bubbly Black Girl Recording Session
Posted: 11/13/06 at 1:44am

Oh how I envy you....

So may I assume, since you received your copies of the cd, that it will be released somewhat soon?
Updated On: 11/13/06 at 01:44 AM

JBSinger
#20re: Bubbly Black Girl Recording Session
Posted: 11/13/06 at 9:12am

I PM'd Sh-k-zan and he told me that it was due out early next year. not too far away.

broadwaybelter
#21re: Bubbly Black Girl Recording Session
Posted: 2/8/07 at 2:44am

bump. any news?

Fenchurch
#22re: Bubbly Black Girl Recording Session
Posted: 2/8/07 at 2:56am

I saw Kirsten Childs in Chicago in Atlantic City in the 80's. She was Velma and none other than Chita Rivera was Roxie, along with Harry Guardino as Billy Flynn.

It was a memorable evening, I can certainly say. It was the first time I had seen chicago and it was staged with its original choreography and costumes. I really enjoyed it, I remember really being impressed by the girls in All I need is Love. Just like the album cover.

Sorry for the thread jack, but Childs was incredible, I still remember her Velma Takes the Stand

"Fenchurch is correct, as usual." -Keen on Kean
"Fenchurch is correct, as usual." - muscle23ftl

mattonstage Profile Photo
mattonstage
#23re: Bubbly Black Girl Recording Session
Posted: 2/8/07 at 7:36am

Back in 1995 or thereabouts, I saw a reading for "Bubbly Black Girl..." at the National Alliance for Musical Theatre festival of new musicals. I really enjoyed the score. I'm sorry I didn't see the full production. Can't wait for the CD.

I killed the boss, you don't think they're gonna fire me over a thing like that!!!!