pixeltracker

Jenn Gambatese out remainder of this week

Jenn Gambatese out remainder of this week

C is for Company
#0Jenn Gambatese out remainder of this week
Posted: 7/13/06 at 1:57am

Saw Tarzan today on my overnight stay in NY and figured I'd fill everyone in in case you are seeing Tarzan this week. Her understudy was quite capable, but the lower notes were pretty weak. Overall though, terrific job in case you see her!

She informed us after that Jenn is on vacation till Sunday or so. Anybody else find it surprising that in the middle of the July tourist boom, a lead female in a hit show would be out for a week already?

BJC899
#1re: Jenn Gambatese out remainder of this week
Posted: 7/13/06 at 2:14am

I saw Tarzan the day of Broadway Barks (8th) and her voice was REALLY shot. I think she really deserves, and needs, this week off.
Updated On: 7/13/06 at 02:14 AM

C is for Company
#2re: Jenn Gambatese out remainder of this week
Posted: 7/13/06 at 2:18am

I suppose the songs could do a number on her, the whole thing was very loudly sung and I found it to be most enjoyable.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#3re: Jenn Gambatese out remainder of this week
Posted: 7/13/06 at 2:53am

Isn't she getting married?

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

C is for Company
#4re: Jenn Gambatese out remainder of this week
Posted: 7/13/06 at 2:59am

Quite a possibility. Oh, by the way muscle, Wickedgeek saw The Wedding Singer and said it was a fun show.

muscle23ftl
#5re: Jenn Gambatese out remainder of this week
Posted: 7/13/06 at 3:05am

That's great, when are you going? How did you like Tarzan?

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-
Updated On: 7/13/06 at 03:05 AM

C is for Company
#6re: Jenn Gambatese out remainder of this week
Posted: 7/13/06 at 3:16am

I may go whenever I go in with no concrete plans and would take advantage of the easy rush for TWS.
I loved Tarzan, I really did not expect to be as wowed as I was. I thought it would just be a sad attempt at Disney to make more money, but the visuals were just incredible and the cast looked like they were really working hard. I don't think that theatrically one should expect a masterpiece here, but it is a show meant for the sheer fun of the people. I liked it, you need shows like this around to keep theater light to a degree.

BJC899
#7re: Jenn Gambatese out remainder of this week
Posted: 7/13/06 at 3:23am

If they developed the characters more this show could really be a HUGE hit. The first act was only an hour! I really do love the music; I always have the CD playing now. The flying also became "natural" not "spectacle". That is how a monkey would make an entrance on a stage, so it really worked.

yeahhh threadjack...

muscle23ftl
#8re: Jenn Gambatese out remainder of this week
Posted: 7/13/06 at 3:40am

The fact that the act was "just 1 hour" is great! no need for acts to be 1.30 or longer. The 2nd act was a lot better. I didn't care for the visuals, but i loved the cast. Jenn was the standout I'd say. Donnie, Merle, Josh and Chester, were also great.

RentBoy86
#9re: Jenn Gambatese out remainder of this week
Posted: 7/13/06 at 3:51am

They could develop the characters more with the 30mins left over in the first act.

I don't think all pieces of theater have to be masterpieces, but I like shows that at least say something.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#10re: Jenn Gambatese out remainder of this week
Posted: 7/13/06 at 9:01am

Thank you so much for posting this, C Is For Company. You just helped me decide not to rush this show for tomorrow night. That frees me up to do other things. Thanks again!

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#11re: Jenn Gambatese out remainder of this week
Posted: 7/13/06 at 1:24pm

"Anybody else find it surprising that in the middle of the July tourist boom, a lead female in a hit show would be out for a week already?"

C, it seems to be the norm. Summer is a time for vacation, and it's after the Tonys which some people consider to be the end of the Broadway season, etc. And when you think about it, except for the name stars, I don't think tourists mind getting an understudy that much. But yeah, a lot of lead actors take a week off in summer.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#12re: Jenn Gambatese out remainder of this week
Posted: 7/13/06 at 1:43pm

Jenn just got engaged, she's not getting married already.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#13re: Jenn Gambatese out remainder of this week
Posted: 7/13/06 at 1:43pm

You loved TARZAN?

Company, I used to have such respect for you....

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#14re: Jenn Gambatese out remainder of this week
Posted: 7/13/06 at 1:57pm

I expected to hate Tarzan because I never made it all the way through the CD before, but it was a great time. I went in there expecting to relax and enjoy a simple story with awesome things to look at, and that's what I got.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

WithoutATrace
#15re: Jenn Gambatese out remainder of this week
Posted: 7/18/06 at 10:01pm

Does anyone know if Jen is back in the show this week? I'm thinking of rushing it this Friday. Thanks!

movieinmymind Profile Photo
movieinmymind
#16re: Jenn Gambatese out remainder of this week
Posted: 7/21/06 at 3:27pm

she's back! she was there last night. :)

hope that helped!

My name is Jamie. NYU class of 2011!!!

citrustwist
#17re: Jenn Gambatese out remainder of this week
Posted: 7/21/06 at 10:00pm

I'm pretty sure that Josh Strickland will be out the first week of August. Kevin Massey's website says he'll be going on for a few shows that week, not sure if Josh Kobak will be taking the other performances or if Strickland's vacation isn't a full week. Either way, it would be interesting! I caught Kobak's first Tarzan and thought he was wonderful!
Updated On: 7/21/06 at 10:00 PM

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#18re: Jenn Gambatese out remainder of this week
Posted: 7/21/06 at 10:08pm

I'm waiting to see this show so I can see Kobak in the role. I hope he does go on during Strickland's vacation.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Stphen1187
#19re: Jenn Gambatese out remainder of this week
Posted: 7/21/06 at 11:36pm

I caught one of Niki Scalera's performances as Jane last week when she was on for Jenn Gambatese, and thought she was fantastic...she reads the dialogue almost identically to Jenn, but has a more powerful singing voice. I'm a Jenn Gambatese fan, but was not disappointed by Niki's performance in the least. She seems to be used as the Jane cover moreso than Celina Carvajal (the first understudy), and I'd be interested to see other understudies in for principles in the show.

WithoutATrace
#20re: Jenn Gambatese out remainder of this week
Posted: 7/22/06 at 12:15am

Jenn was in tonight and she was FABULOUS as always. I threw her a rose at curtain call and she held it during her bow and had it in her teeth during the company bow. "Waiting For This Moment," and "For the First Time" were incredible. Very responsive audience. Glad I got to see it a second time with the full cast.
Updated On: 7/22/06 at 12:15 AM

C is for Company
#21re: Jenn Gambatese out remainder of this week
Posted: 7/22/06 at 12:54am

Yay, glad you liked. I figured, you usually seem to be more agreeable about the things you have seen than negative. Always a nice thing, especially when this show is NOT as bad as people bitch about.

muscle23ftl
#22re: Jenn Gambatese out remainder of this week
Posted: 7/22/06 at 3:19am

This show is pure entertainment, a lot of fun.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#23re: Jenn Gambatese out remainder of this week
Posted: 7/22/06 at 9:42am

WAT - Do you mean Jenn? I looked in my playbill and don't see a Jane.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

WithoutATrace
#24re: Jenn Gambatese out remainder of this week
Posted: 7/22/06 at 12:59pm

haha...thanks! I will edit that. Jenn plays the character Jane in the show!